Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Caldari State is made up of eight mega-corporations and has three major political factions?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Color me surprised  (Read 15399 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Color me surprised
« on: 28 Mar 2012, 20:33 »

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=28576

Just goes to show there is some kharma out there after all, and the idiotic behavior most of us had been making fun of was noticed by a great many others as well.

So just remember that things do balance out in some small ways now and then  :)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Color me surprised
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2012, 20:55 »

I'm actually not terribly surprised. Much as Mittani likes to hem and haw about destroying the game/other players, CCP could as much allow this to simply pass by without punishing him somehow as they could ignore another t20-esque dev bias incident. They cannot appear to tolerate any kind of use of CCP assets to explicitely target another player, much less such an obviously beyond-the-EULA violation as what occured.

That he was allowed to basically step down with dignity rather than being forcibly removed from the CSM (6 as well as 7) is what is honestly surprising to me.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2012, 20:57 »

This is utterly moronic by CCP.  EULA applies outside of game now!

Waiting for my ban for impersonating Mittani at fanfest, which is also against the EULA if done in-game.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2012, 21:34 »

30-day ban for someone who runs a large alliance; time for a test of trust among his Lts.   If he has good Lts, it is insignificant as he continues to runs operations via various forums.

I think there might be potential out-of-game consequences for encouraging out-of-game the stalking of a particular user - especially with the intent for that person to kill themselves.

Does the EULA apply; doubtful. If so desired, The Mittani can probably pursue legal recourse over it.

Did panel members have to sign a piece of paperwork that applied the EULA to the presentation?

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2012, 21:41 »

For those of us confused - what is the big issue here? Who did what?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2012, 21:44 »

During the alliance member panel discussion, Mittani related a story of a person who ran a significant ice-mining operation with multiple accounts which goons ganked repeatedly; he was later also scammed out of 1.3b by goons. In response, the guy running the operation made some noises at them suggesting he'd been having a hard time in RL as well and was possibly suicidal.

The thing that people took issue with is that Mittani then gave this guy's ingame name and ecouraged people to continue griefing him.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2012, 21:59 »

For those of us confused - what is the big issue here? Who did what?

The 'alliance panel' at this year's fanfest was streamed live to the interwebs. At the panel various alliance leaders give powerpoint presentations and talk about their groups, and answer a few questions. Some presentations were good, some were full of drunken children laughing to each other about how awesome they are. http://www.evefleet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/XzZc9.png 

Basically the goons demolished some guy's mining career and seemed to have given the man a rough time, and in order to feel cool the Goon leader gave out his name to several thousand eve players and suggested other people harass him, too.  Oh and I think he told the guy to kill himself.

There's a few issues that overlap, but it generally comes down to just because you -can- be a dick, should you? It's not about internet spaceships, I just saw a bunch of people demeaning
themselves on television and acting like proper fools *shrug*

The poor bastard losing sleep over his internet mining spaceships being blown up does need to HTFU perhaps, but that doesn't excuse someone acting un-classy, yes?

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2012, 22:18 »

Unclassy at fanfest, now a bannable offense in game!

Hell one of my corpmates vomited violently and repeatedly in the hot tub on our floor.  Classy indeed!

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2012, 23:52 »

There's a pretty wide margin between being a sloppy drunk and suggesting someone kill oneself.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2012, 00:26 »

Indeed.

Had this simply been a mocking of a miner who whined after his internet spaceships were violenced, it'd have been laughed at heartily at best, resulted in a "*shrug* Well, don't feed the trolls next time..." in the middle, and simply invoked an eyeroll and a :goons: at worst.

When the possibility of RL effects came into play, however, it crosses the line from "Well, you fed the trolls in a game full of them..." to "Dude, not cool."

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2012, 00:38 »

This is utterly moronic by CCP.  EULA applies outside of game now!

That section of the Terms of Service, incorporated by reference into the EULA, does; yes:

You may not abuse, harass or threaten another player or authorized representative of CCP, including customer service personnel and volunteers.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2012, 01:05 »

Lets save the outrage for something thats actually outrageous.  Of course the EULA applies when a man stands up at a CCP event, representing a body thats associated with EVE and CCP, and basically says " hey everyone, break the EULA!"  What else could CCP do?

By his own admission, Mittens acted like a bullying douchebag.  You do not, in fact, have the right to act like a bullying douchebag, even while drunk.  Mittens said as much, to his credit.

Much like in EVE, in real life actions have consequences.   
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:34 »

The EULA covers both in game and acts on their website.

Considering the entire thing was streamed live on EVE Tv  :bash:

He was stupid for doing it, but now 1/6th of the highest turnout just became null and void before the term even starts. Wonder if there's grounds to request a recall.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:56 »

This story made me grin. The banning thing, obviously.

And no, CCP didn't trash 10k votes. Mittens did. Tough break, they should have voted for someone who would have been more responsible.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:36 »

This story made me grin. The banning thing, obviously.

And no, CCP didn't trash 10k votes. Mittens did. Tough break, they should have voted for someone who would have been more responsible.
But he resigned from the Chairman position, he still is/will be in CSM so those votes arent waisted ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10