Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanids were fellow settlers alongside the Amarrians on Athra, better known today as Amarr Prime? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: SISI NAO!  (Read 18608 times)

Crucifire

Re: SISI NAO!
« Reply #30 on: 04 Nov 2011, 23:07 »

Made a little trek and took some screens, here's links and where I was when I took the screenshot:

01 02 Fountain
03 04 Delve
05 Querious
06 07 Khanid
08 09 Catch
10 11 Curse
12 13 Scalding Pass

I play at 3200x1080 and resized the images to 66% so it might look like they have a funny crop

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #31 on: 05 Nov 2011, 03:01 »

\o/

\o/ \o/ \o/

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 05 Nov 2011, 03:22 »

Heimatar glows. I like it. A lot. This isn't tasteful space-black and silver; it's a lush and lusty explosion of colour and light.

The next challenge is to see whether there's a viewpoint where--if you squint in just the right way--the nebula looks like the Matari symbol, either the rust-red version or the light-on-red version on the flag in Fear the Tribes. I'd love it if we could tell that kind of story about the origin of that emblem.

I'm enjoying the extra crispness of some of the new ship skins. Tastes will vary, but I'm personally not so enraptured with some of the ship design and skin changes. I preferred the old steampunk Myrmidon to the new "Flash Gordon"-style one, and the rectilinear grey camo on the Hookbill makes me twitch. I do like the new Ishtar, though, with its green, bronze and grey metallic sheen (almost iridescent) rather than the old "green mould grew on my Vexor" look.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #33 on: 05 Nov 2011, 04:35 »

For there to be only 1 deg of change in the position of a large object, like a distant nebulae, with 10 light years (ly) of difference between two observation points the large object only has to be 572.9 ly away. The closest Nebula to Earth is the Orion Nebula and we would have to travel almost 24 ly before it would move 1 deg in the sky.  (if I messed up the math somewhere, let me know!)

So, it is actually not "wonky" at all for you to travel 10 light years and not have the background change significantly.

It is when you consider that jumping from Jita (The Forge) to Sobaseki (Lonetrek) is a 4.04 LY jump and that jump takes you from a position where you're close to but outside the large blue nebula (in Jita) to being directly inside of it (in Sobaseki). Crossing the entirety of The Forge is a 10 LY, 15-jump journey that does not cause this large blue nebula to change in apparent size one inch but a single 4 LY jump takes you visibly straight inside of it.

Wonky.

I don't know what point you were trying to make about the nebula when they are very, very clearly objects that visibly change position depending upon your position in the cluster. Seriously, Dex, what?

How dynamic do you want the system to be?

As dynamic as it is possible to make it.

Are you interested in the planets, moons, and man-made objects orbiting their star?

Yes. This has already been done by several games.

Do the "physics" of wormhole/gate technology require you to be pointed in a particular direction?

Given that in terms of art assets most gates appear to be designed with an aesthetic more along the lines of an "acceleration device" than a "gate" (the Minmatar System and Amarr Constellation gates being notable exceptions), I'd say yeah. In general it'd be a useful visual aid.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 05 Nov 2011, 04:35 »

Federation Navy Comet now bears a Federation Navy Camo scheme.

HOWEVER

Gallente Customs frigates (using Comet shiptype) now flies with white paint, red/blue police blinkers, a cylon looking 'scanning eye', and G.P.D. on the side.

The Gallente Custom frigates indeed have a nice Comet skin. Picture.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #35 on: 05 Nov 2011, 05:52 »

wtb video of new cloaking effects

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be too consistent. Will fraps a few jumps when I get back to my desktop Sunday evening and see if I can catch it.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #36 on: 05 Nov 2011, 08:08 »

I'm still a bit grumbly about Gallente space atm. Being in Essence, Sinq or Everyshore feels like a lowsec region because it's not in a nebula core. Verge Vendor is inside the nebula, and it looks amazing. Mind, it actually becomes hard on the eyes. There is absolutely no blackness.

So much green :eek:
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2011, 08:15 by Seriphyn »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 05 Nov 2011, 08:41 »

For there to be only 1 deg of change in the position of a large object, like a distant nebulae, with 10 light years (ly) of difference between two observation points the large object only has to be 572.9 ly away. The closest Nebula to Earth is the Orion Nebula and we would have to travel almost 24 ly before it would move 1 deg in the sky.  (if I messed up the math somewhere, let me know!)

So, it is actually not "wonky" at all for you to travel 10 light years and not have the background change significantly.

It is when you consider that jumping from Jita (The Forge) to Sobaseki (Lonetrek) is a 4.04 LY jump and that jump takes you from a position where you're close to but outside the large blue nebula (in Jita) to being directly inside of it (in Sobaseki). Crossing the entirety of The Forge is a 10 LY, 15-jump journey that does not cause this large blue nebula to change in apparent size one inch but a single 4 LY jump takes you visibly straight inside of it.

Wonky.

I don't know what point you were trying to make about the nebula when they are very, very clearly objects that visibly change position depending upon your position in the cluster. Seriously, Dex, what?

You did not present the regional change example initially.  I agree that the region change is wonky and have already said so. 

My point was that the background not changing over 10 light years is entirely reasonable and not in and of itself wonky, which was the example you gave.

How dynamic do you want the system to be?

As dynamic as it is possible to make it.

Are you interested in the planets, moons, and man-made objects orbiting their star?

Yes. This has already been done by several games.

Do the "physics" of wormhole/gate technology require you to be pointed in a particular direction?

Given that in terms of art assets most gates appear to be designed with an aesthetic more along the lines of an "acceleration device" than a "gate" (the Minmatar System and Amarr Constellation gates being notable exceptions), I'd say yeah. In general it'd be a useful visual aid.

So, you would also want the gates to rotate to stay aligned with their target as they orbit the primary star?

Is there an interest in the relative distances between objects changing dynamically?  Such that the travel time between locations (gates, stations, moons, planets, etc) change day to day?   Where it might be possible to have days when travelling along certain routes is much faster than others?

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #38 on: 05 Nov 2011, 11:46 »

I remember reading something that said the planets, moons, etc used to actually orbit their parent stars way back in the day, but that it was such a huge nightmare for the server CCP had to turn it off?

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #39 on: 06 Nov 2011, 11:02 »

Something interesting that nobody has brought up yet; all the highsec belt rats are new. In Hek, for example, Cyber Ruffians and Minmatar Brigands are the norm, replacing some of the super-low level angel cartel rats normally seen. Additionally, in one asteroid belt, there was a "Minmatar Tactical Outpost" amidst the asteroids, with a swarm of npc frigs orbiting it, which attacked when I landed in the belt.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #40 on: 06 Nov 2011, 11:06 »

Pool of Radiance

expected more rainbows tbh

It has been brought to my attention that nebulae is most likely Catch or Esoteria, due to the fact stellar phenomena like the giant Black Hole, Vapor Sea, et cetra aren't represented yet.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #41 on: 06 Nov 2011, 11:13 »

You sure you are not in the Minmatar COSMOS constellation, Julianus?
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 06 Nov 2011, 11:44 »

Ani has different asteroid belt rats? :(

Why do the minmatar have all the fun. . .

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #43 on: 06 Nov 2011, 12:12 »

When looking at planets in Jove Space:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4050/20111106180917.jpg
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3379/20111106180923.jpg

That's above you in just about every system I've looked at there. Any Ideas?

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 06 Nov 2011, 12:15 »

:O?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8