Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That each of the five empires technically has an equal say in all CONCORD matters? Read more in the Chronicle.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: EVE taken down by LulzSec  (Read 15484 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: EVE taken down by LulzSec
« Reply #165 on: 21 Jun 2011, 10:19 »

I'm just happy to finally have a reason to share the sorts of things I do normally with my friends here. ;)

If LulzSec does in fact have that data, they'd probably announce it and be proud of it rather than hide it.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #166 on: 21 Jun 2011, 10:56 »

Hm. I'm keep thinking of the DX1 Dark Age ending...

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #167 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:04 »

I thought census data was more or less public domain?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #168 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:14 »

Old census's can be looked up online for free, by anyone, iirc. (70+ years old i think? )

The newest ones cannot.

Usually takes a long time before anything is published by the various agencies anyway.

useful for schools & other forms of planning. Lots of children born in X years, means more primary schools built/refurbished in short order and more secondary schools later.
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #169 on: 21 Jun 2011, 11:24 »

Aggregate census data are public domain. Individual census data have lots of privacy controls.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2011, 11:37 by Casiella »

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #170 on: 21 Jun 2011, 14:23 »

So I heard that the person who got arrested was the same person from Lulz that hacked Anon, sounds like they wanted to get rid of the guy now they are being all buddy buddy. Ah, politics :)

I had a good long discussion with the person who told me this, who is someone who has a certain level of "insider info". And we're in agreement that while this needs to be done, it also sadly may be something that is just a storm in a glass of water. You can hack big corrupt corporate entities to pieces, and force change through that, but at the end of the day it's still all about the fucking money, and just as we see in EVE patches must always carry a shiny selling point. In fact EVE probably gets more understanding from its community for fixes than something which ain't gaming related.

We also speculated that a lot of white hat hackers have grown tired of the corporate bullshit and pretend to be the "teen club" that is Lulz so they can get revenge. I can really recognize myself in that, knowing that as a programmer you can't always push through the changes you want even if they are better than the alternative because of budget. Yep, I'm a bitter vet IRL, one that will soon get a job again, so that will be fun times ;)

It's really sad, I see so many people upset because "omg my datas" but seriously, people have tried it the nice way and the nice way doesn't work. Not to mention that you should really practice proper password security. You don't have one key for every door either. There is a reason for that. If your car key gets stolen, they can't break into your house. Having one password is like letting them steal your entire keychain. With this being a bigger deal than ever this is something that needs to be stressed. Some ISP's do training in internet usage but it should really become household knowledge.

Also, since this is a hot topic, Lifehacker (no it's not a hacker site for those who do not know the term Lifehacking) had an amazingly good writeup about password security and how to manage it a while ago. Also comes with a few other security tips.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #171 on: 21 Jun 2011, 15:25 »

I find it hilarious that the UK's policy on combatting cyber-crime is:

-Track down unfortunate nerdy teen with LOIC Installed
-Kick down doors, arrest, confiscate hardware
-Claim you've caught the leader of Anonymous/Lulzsec/Insert Group of Choice Here
-???
-Profit

Oh, and as for the census stuff, lulzsec have denied Involvement. Media jumping on things they don't really get as usual:

LulzSec The Lulz Boat
Just saw the pastebin of the UK census hack. That wasn't us - don't believe fake LulzSec releases unless we put out a tweet first.
7 hours ago
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]