Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Return to SiSi Part III - TATTOOS YO (And new shades and new vests for men)  (Read 15352 times)

Lyn Farel

True but I can understant that some studios want to have their own engines because even if nowadays almost every engine is worth another in terms of performances (with their own ergonomics and specificities, sure), the rendering is totally different and can add something 'unique'. Though you have to be prepared for that, because founding the creation of an entire engine costs millions. It is a fucking hard, and long process. If they had not done this and choosed another one instead, I suppose we already will be playing with Incarna and full stations at the moment.

DrizzCat

• Amarrian Loyalist
  • Wetgraver
    • Bastet's Organization of Mining

Yeah, another example of CCP re-inventing the wheel instead of just buying tires at Pep Boys.

If they Buy the tires at pep Boys then they get all the headaches atatched to that.  By developing their own they don't ahve a Surprize Creep up on them and Knock the whole pile over.

Additionally by developing their own they hold the keys and it will be harder for people with malicious intent to do damage or fiddle with it in a harmful way that could be learned/created from the existing systems out there.  There is also the ability for them to licenses out their engine to companys that want a next gen engine.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

I am sorry DrizzCat, but security by obscurity is a concept that simply does not work. The source code will leak or be decompiled from binaries. After that, a complete rewrite is always more vulnerable than old code which has most of the vulnerabilities patched. The only thing a new codebase can protect against is script kiddies, and against them only when it's brand new.

Of course, that assumes that the software is used in serious business. A game will qualify if you can make money out of it (i.e. sell cheating programs, bots, real-money trading game items and/or money).

Jev North

I'm not privy to what goes on in the heads of CCP's project management, but I find it hard to believe they didn't consider buying what they could pre-made. Assuming that they're halfway sane and competent (bit of a stretch sometimes, I know) I suppose that what's out there simply didn't fit with their design goals, or their existing pipelines, or just fell flat somewhere in the whole stack of requirements they'd have for Incarna.

Alternatively they might believe they have the warm bodies and know-how to develop something at either less cost than licensing plus adaptation, or with added value for re-use or resale.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

The business case for licensing out the engine later makes the most potential sense to me. I certainly hope they have enough development and IT experience not to do so for security reasons (echoing, more or less, Mithfindel's response).

Though I'm not a developer, I work in a shop that as much of its development in-house as possible. In some cases, this makes a lot of sense where we have fairly unique requirements or believe that the result will allow us to compete more effectively (market differentiator). In other cases, a lot of us scratch our heads and don't quite follow the rationale. In still other cases, we've licensed outside code and eventually wished we hadn't due to the quality.

So my hopefully-constructive criticisms of CCP don't imply that they had an easy, no-brainer, cut-and-dry decision. Certainly they had to make significant tradeoffs. But that doesn't mean that I have to appreciate the negative side of the tradeoffs that affect me as a user, right? :)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

The business case for licensing out the engine later makes the most potential sense to me. I certainly hope they have enough development and IT experience not to do so for security reasons (echoing, more or less, Mithfindel's response).

A non-EVE example: the company behind the game I came to EVE from (Vendetta Online, by Guild Software) did just this. Originally, their intent was to design a game engine that they could license out, and make a game using that engine on the side. When I originally found Vendetta in 2002, it was just a simple engine test. When the company started having financial difficulties, they decided to focus on making the game first, and after finding a publisher (Strategy First), they've managed to keep the game going long enough to be able to bring the engine (Naos) to a state where it can be licensed out to others who are interested in using it.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

The main issue with most of these unknown engines is that they are not very used, thus usually do not have all the specifities of the famous ones. When you see the versatility of the UDK, Unity, CryEngine, Source Engine, whatever, you know that there is a fulltime developpement team behind.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

Would be interesting to get makeup/tattoo options that are a bit like CV Dazzle.

http://cvdazzle.com/

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette

I redid Math on Sisi finally.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

So yeah, I kinda went for a different look :P

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?

The saddest Khanid!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums

THat picture of Mathra reminds me of this old clip with the sad native american in it :)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

not on sisi yet, but on duplicity so far there are:

Skirts (4 kinds)
New Hairstyles (at least 2)
Goggles (wear them up or down)

plus other things.
\o/

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Skirts (4 kinds)

plus other things.

Shit yeah. Is it faction-based or generalized like the vests that came out a while ago?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Skirts (4 kinds)

plus other things.

Shit yeah. Is it faction-based or generalized like the vests that came out a while ago?

I do not know.
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

ooh, new things, I am in favour.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8