Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that non-capsuleer viewership of the Intergalactic Summit reaches into the hundreds of millions and vehement debates rage within planetary communities based on the positions espoused there by capsuleers.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Things I wish I had done differently with Ava  (Read 4624 times)

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
Things I wish I had done differently with Ava
« on: 02 Aug 2012, 08:17 »

So, yeah.

There's quite  a few things I did with Ava that I wish I hadnt; portions of her history, attitudes, etc, and it has hampered my desire to play her in a lot of ways. I wish:

I regret having any connection with slavery in her past.
I wish I hadnt had her come from such a primitive background.
I wish I had played her a bit less "GRR", a bit more "Look ma, I'm goin Fast!"
A few other things that have annoyed me but are comparatively minor.

So, yeah. Basically that. I like the character, she feels "real" enough in many ways, but these things just bug me and kind of direct what I do with her, and not always to my liking. Wish I could undo em. =/

Norrin Ellis

Re: Things I wish I had done differently with Ava
« Reply #1 on: 02 Aug 2012, 08:25 »

According to the Fun Doctrine, you can undo, retcon, or hand-wave away anything you don't like about your character.  After all, you're the one paying for the subscription, presumably so that you can have fun, not feel burdened or disheartened.

Granted, other folks are free to interpret inconsistency as madness, but that could be fun in its own right.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #2 on: 02 Aug 2012, 09:10 »

Everything except the very first one is easy to ignore.

"I was primitive but now I am a transhuman goddess!"
"I was angry but SHIT life is fun now"

Slavery is harder to handwave, I think, but it's so overplayed that people wouldn't notice if you just sort of never talked about it again.

ArtOfLight

« Reply #3 on: 02 Aug 2012, 09:19 »

I've been in that boat a few times, Ava.

As Casiella said, the later two can be RPed out. Consider them opportunities for your character to grow. So she was angry in the past? Maybe she's realized that there's more to life now than just being angry and seeking revenge? So she was from a primitive background? Maybe this has pushed her to learn more and refine herself?

A person's background provides motivation for them to develop as a character, if you don't like what that background has done to your character thus far, find a way for your character to take a different lesson from it and thus a different path.

As far as slavery goes, it's one of those topics that apparently very, very few people can handle with any level of maturity or realism in this game which is part of what makes playing Amarr and Minmatar so irritating sometimes. You can't really handwave her past relationship with slavery but what you can do is change how it's affected her. There's a lot of ways you can work with it and I would love to sit down and chat with you about them all, it's what friends do.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 02 Aug 2012, 12:51 »

Funny you talk about that now, since I have had the same issue with Lyn for a week or so. I am facing something I never had to face in the past which is a character that lived more than 5 years, and still going. Added to the fact that it was not a clean cut character that I created with all her BG in mind (was my first character and I had no knowledge of the lore when I started), the character has itself become way too much convoluted and messy for my own taste. It is the opposite of a simple, clear, clean character BG that works. And it is starting to slowly annoy me more and more.

I am thinking of a global retcon over several things now. Ofc it starts to get problematic when it is about core things that I can't decently change too much without... well, creating discrepancies.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 02 Aug 2012, 13:26 »

Or dump the character, assume her story is complete, and start fresh.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 02 Aug 2012, 13:44 »

Or dump the character, assume her story is complete, and start fresh.

I do have the alt I made for the Thukker thing. The problem with that, in eve terms, is the incredible investment of time into skills. It takes a LONG time for a new character to become as proficient in things as one Ava's age.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 02 Aug 2012, 13:50 »

The fun is often in dealing with those constraints, though. Are you having more fun with Ava and all of her skills or with your baby Thukker struggling to fit a Rifter?

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 02 Aug 2012, 14:09 »

The fun is often in dealing with those constraints, though. Are you having more fun with Ava and all of her skills or with your baby Thukker struggling to fit a Rifter?

Just let me say, flying my all level 5 wolf with blingfit, pirate implants, and exile dosent suck.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #9 on: 02 Aug 2012, 14:11 »

A possible way to "retcon" a few things. It is very extreme though.

Works best with chars with a name that can pass for a nickname.

It is the Dread Pirate Roberts route. Or Spartacus if you prefer.

esp. if you have a char resculpt available, then hugely change appearance and portrait, and change the name of the character.

Old Ava Starfire was Avlynka Suirinonen, Seibestor from Mirkamurka.
New Ava Starfire is ??? from ???, inheriting the name to continue things.
\o/

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 Aug 2012, 14:31 »

As others have said, if you want her personality to change then find an excuse for the change to happen.

You don't need to retcon the elements you don't like anymore. Just use them differently. Have her decide to put the slave part of her life behind her "dwelling on this would be like letting the slaver still own part of me" say?

Why where her tribe so isolated & primitive? Is it possible they where just poor and the influx of funds from Ava means they are less primitive now?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #11 on: 02 Aug 2012, 15:16 »

Granted, other folks are free to interpret inconsistency as madness, but that could be fun in its own right.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

+1

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 02 Aug 2012, 15:33 »

As others have said, if you want her personality to change then find an excuse for the change to happen.

You don't need to retcon the elements you don't like anymore. Just use them differently. Have her decide to put the slave part of her life behind her "dwelling on this would be like letting the slaver still own part of me" say?

Why where her tribe so isolated & primitive? Is it possible they where just poor and the influx of funds from Ava means they are less primitive now?

I am not sure if it is the "now" that she cares about ? I don't know but that is my case at least. There are things in my BG that I just do not appreciate or that annoy me. What annoys me is located in the past.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 02 Aug 2012, 17:10 »

Don't forget to have fun.

Emphasize and focus on what you want to, and you can ignore the parts you don't like with a minimum of hand-waving. 

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #14 on: 03 Aug 2012, 04:10 »

Spend more time with meeee :D

When I get back that is.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani
Pages: [1] 2