Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The system Old Man Star is named for the lone crew member who survived a sub-light trip there to set up a stargate?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestions and whats lacking.  (Read 4530 times)

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
Suggestions and whats lacking.
« on: 11 Apr 2011, 06:30 »

So, as a few of you may know, and most of you probably dont, I left EVE a month or two ago. Ive already been bitten by the bug again, and even with finals coming up and perhaps more importantly Dragon Age 2 sitting in my PS3 at home I am wanting to come back. I figure initially I probably wont be able to play much, but this would be the perfect time to start station training all the base skills while I beat DA2 and hopefully pass my classes.

My reason for posting is to get some ideas on what you guys(and gals) think is missing in EVE RP. I still havent really decided on what I want to base this character on or even what race I want to be yet. So gimme all the missing stereotypes, character types, and underrepresented factions in your eyes, and maybe some of them will open my eyes and give me a few more ideas to draw from when I sit down and start working on my character. :D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Suggestions and whats lacking.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2011, 07:08 »

Can I ask first whether you intend to focus on in-space combat or something else?

Ember Vykos

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2011, 07:21 »

Heh. Good question and I totally forgot to mention that. Ideally I will probably be focusing on combat of some sort. Might try being more of a political figure as well so its kinda open really, but I do have to have my PVP in there somewhere. :D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2011, 07:30 »

Well, I know you did the Angel thing. If you're looking to go back to that, of course, I'm sure the options still exist.

But perhaps something a little softer might work, or even sneakier... maybe associated with, say, an intelligence service. You could also eschew NPC factions and work out something more mercenary-based with a bit of RP around it.

Most of my thoughts tend away from the combat stuff for obvious reasons, so I'll just shut up now. But I am happy to see you "back"!

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2011, 07:37 »

My reason for posting is to get some ideas on what you guys(and gals) think is missing in EVE RP.

Well, there was this pretty awesome female Civire in my alliance a couple of months back.... :lol:

But on a serious note, I'm not exactly sure what's missing, or if anything is missing. People seem to be representing each faction, the difference is in how they do it. There's only the one Caldari Liberal bloc entity, though, as far as I know? I-RED is nullsec and stuff though, from what I know. There might be something in there for a more empire based deal?

Not so sure about Character, though. How many hard line Liberal ex-navy Achur are there?  :s That's something I'd need to think about more.

EDIT: The 'did you know' thing gave me an idea. How many Hyasoda capsuleer corps have there been?
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2011, 07:41 by Marcus Gord »
Stormcrows.

Will pay for good sig. Enquire within.

You can't take the sky from me

Amann Karris

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2011, 07:51 »

Pro-CONCORD anti-drug task force.  I'm also not saying this simply because I am writing a rather long-ish short story about this particular topic.  Seriously, I'm not.

Stop looking at me like that!

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2011, 08:10 »

That sounds so... legit. That's ungood.

Amann Karris

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2011, 08:23 »

That sounds so... legit. That's ungood.
This is EVE.  Is anyone truly good?

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2011, 08:29 »

Given the changes they say they're making to smuggling, that could actually work!
Stormcrows.

Amann Karris

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2011, 08:33 »

Given the changes they say they're making to smuggling, that could actually work!
If it's half as interesting as I see in my mind, it could be epic.  ;)

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2011, 08:38 »

There hasn't been a decent sized Mordu's Legion corp around in a long while.   To me, Mordu's seems like an awesome source of RP for a PVP corp that would allow for a broader involvement in politics since they aren't a Caldari State aligned megacorp per se.   They work mostly for the Caldari yes, and get goodies and stuff from the Caldari Navy but they also do work for the other factions as well - even the Federation.  

Also while they are generally viewed as ‘the good guys’ by most people and probably try to be, we can see from missions (do you still see the legion in missions?) that more often than not when a faction hires the Legion it’s because they need some dirty work done.  So they offer grey area RP.

There are also a lot of options available to a Mordu’s group.   Faction Warfare is obvious: as you move through the StaPro ranks your Legion standing sky rockets though I think this might have more to do with State standings than StaPro standings.  They have very close ties to the Caldari Nav and their partner is listed as Home Guard, but there is nothing that indicates they care much for Heth.   This allows you to do the State loyalist thing without being a goose stepping lolspacenazi.  

If you run missions for them, they go after Guristas a lot and if you run for the Guristas they go after the Legion a lot and they also recruit from all races and creeds, so you wouldn’t be limited at all to who you accept.  You could become the anti-veto sucking up RPers with no other place to go :P

Alternatively, if you are not interested in FW - their contract the Intaki means you could set up as anti-pirates in Syndicate and Placid.  

You could go the straight up Merc route too.  Wormholes have actually opened up the merc business recently.  Most WH corps are rich carebears and that makes them targets for extortionist and great clients for Mercs.

Noir. runs a channel to help up and coming Mercs to find clients and if your kill stats are good enough they’ll take your corp into their alliance.

If you want to do 0.0 they have a Station in Pure Blind which is a VERY target rich environment right now.    Carebear NC pilots with faction gear as far as the eye can see.   There is an Alliance that lives in the Mordu’s station called Mordu’s Angels – cool dudes but they haven’t RPed since 2005 as far as I know.  It wouldn’t be hard to get blue with them if you are willing to shoot at NC and know a little about PVP.    They are recruiting corps right now too, and would be RP friendly.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2011, 10:19 »

Pro-CONCORD anti-drug task force.  I'm also not saying this simply because I am writing a rather long-ish short story about this particular topic.  Seriously, I'm not.

Stop looking at me like that!

A staunchly pro-CONCORD anything would be pretty interesting, I think; from what I've seen (which could very easily miss something out and invalidate this point entirely), the opinions of CONCORD range from 'must be removed' to 'eh, not so bad' amongst capsuleers.

Where characters don't mind CONCORD so much, it seems to often be incidental to another cause -- CONCORD helps their empire of choice, or similar. Seeing someone that throws themselves pretty solidly behind CONCORD, rather than any distinct empire, would be quite cool to see, at least for me.

I'm not sure if this would get in the way of the combat you mentioned or not. On the one hand, you have the Global Criminal Countdowns for engaging the 'wrong' folks being just that, which could get in the way of having had the character throw their lot in with CONCORD; on the other, there are a lot of outlaws kicking about, you've the aforementioned smuggling changes, and wardecs if you're into that kinda thing.

Hamish's points about Mordu's Legion are also a good bunch; seeing more of the Legion would be pretty nice.

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2011, 10:56 »

I actually looked for a Mordus corp a while ago, but didn't find anything. It would be interesting for sure. (I might even join a character to it if you let me, and help out....)
Stormcrows.

Ember Vykos

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2011, 14:06 »

Well, there was this pretty awesome female Civire in my alliance a couple of months back.... :lol:

Thanks Marcus. I doubt I'll bring Ember back, but maybe another awesome female Civire.  :D

Also what was the name of the drink I have to get when I come back into the Skyhook? I forgot the name of it and I cant find it in my logs.  :(

Mordu's Legion

That is a good idea. I had totally forgot about them, but it sounds really interesting, might have to look them up in evelopedia.  :D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2011, 14:27 »

My reason for posting is to get some ideas on what you guys(and gals) think is missing in EVE RP.

I think there needs to be more "normal" people. One of the things that happens in RPG like this is that lots of people want to play the edge cases; the pirates, the rogue drones, the terrorists etc. I suspect that if you polled all the RPers in Eve and did a demographic analysis that they would be a lot different to what the general population is like.

That's why I encourage you to create a mainstream character. Someone who follows the precepts of their society as best they can in a pod, to give the outliers a version of normal(ish) to contrast with. A straight guy, if you will, to their oddballs.

You asked :)
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"
Pages: [1] 2