Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Slavers hunt by jumping high in the air and coming down on their prey from above?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The racial/gender traits and your character  (Read 3063 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: The racial/gender traits and your character
« Reply #15 on: 01 Apr 2011, 09:24 »

Maybe. But all of us, even those who don't fit the primary demographic stereotypes, at least see the kernel of truth in them.

So I'm a white Christian male, mid-30s, born and raised in North Texas (Dallas) going back lots of generations. Generally speaking, my cohort supported President George W. Bush at the time, now supports the Tea Party, believes that helping others should occur primarily through their churches and that taxes are the devil, and wants to increase public safety through harder crackdowns on anyone violating the law. (I could go on and on about the generalizations.)

Generally speaking, none of that really fits me (though neither does the popular conception of the educated liberal opposition). But I understand why the stereotype exists and I know how I feel about it.

To Kaleigh's point, if I were a character in a RPG, the player would have to decide: go with the sweeping generalization, or simply use it as a referential data point?

Vieve

« Reply #16 on: 01 Apr 2011, 10:34 »

Point is, racial stereotypes are pretty pointless when you consider all the factors that make up an individual's personality, and what kind of impact that has on roleplayers trying to live up to that ideal. I think instead of focusing on racial traits, maybe some background on the subsects and impact on their culture would have been a lot more useful.

I've wondered if it's CONCORD that insists on segregating every capsuleer into tidy racial boxes, or if that's also being done by their empires of origin (or the alliance that holds whatever null sec station they were born in).  Is there any official nod to racial blending at the empire level? 

We've seen people like Celes Aguard (note her "Gallentean" names) talking about her Jin-Mei heritage during a Lirsautton stump speech.  Is she officially Gallente?  Officially Jin-Mei? Registered within the Federation as a percentage of races?   

Then there was Orin Sitsui the half-Vherokior in The Better Part of Valor. He grew up in a KK creche.  Is he registered as Vherokior with KK?  Or Deteis-Vherokoir?  I'm guessing he wasn't half-Civire, and he'd spent a lot of time around other hybrids, since he had a problem identifying a pure blood Civire during his interview (or this was something that just slipped the mind of the author when the piece was written).

Subtangent behind the spoiler tag.

[spoiler]As a side note, it surprises me that CCP didn't make an NPC for the Celes Aguard character. FYI, if one turns up after this post, it won't be me behind the sockpuppet.  <soapbox>While I'm fond of my Mies stuff, I'm not about to go try faking it into canon, or sticking a spork into the eye of CCP for deciding to change everything.  If I cared more about my personal interpretation of PF being 'the right one', I'd be trying to sell stories to EON and novels to CCP. </soapbox>[/spoiler]

But, back on topic -- yeah, I have used mashups of the racial/background descriptions as baselines for my characters.  I imagine they're probably fairly obvious ones.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 01 Apr 2011, 11:33 »

I decided to play minmatar at the first place because I wanted to fly minmatar, in a time when starter race meant something in terms of skills. Then I chose brutor in a time when starter bloodline meant something in terms of attributes.

I have always deeply regretted that choice since then, siding with the Amarr in RP, and coming to play the natural conclusion of this : ammatar. This is what happen when I come in a MMO after its release, thus not focusing on RP in the first place (even if I still had it in mind).

If I had to compare Lyn to the brutor description, it would be the worst description ever, and the most disappointing of all the bloodlines to picture her. The female description is even worse.

Brutor females are in many ways the opposite of male Brutors. They are dominant, persistent, and egocentric. When they set their mind on something, they usually succeed. Between their wits, grace, and beauty, they are masters of manipulation.

Eek.

It would be more of a sebiestor actually, very much like a sebiestor.

Female Sebiestor are generally kind and intelligent, and like their male counterparts have a natural talent for mathematics. But they have earned a notorious reputation for occasional cruel streaks— perhaps a relic of older, harsher times under Amarrian rule. Highly pragmatic individuals, they take most things in life at face value.

Anyway, she is ammatar, so Im doing what I want until they release racial traits for the ammatar article (comon, even Jove have some).
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2011, 11:34 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 [2]