Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Wolves of Pator rescued and freed 5,000 slaves as a wedding gift for Evanda Char?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Civilization: Beyond Earth  (Read 5282 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth
« Reply #30 on: 26 Nov 2014, 16:22 »

I still haven't opened it because I do not want to break my tradition with my friend and play our first game of a new Civ together. I've been having a blast playing Borderlands 2 (yes, yes, I am behind the times) so I do not mind waiting for him anymore.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 15 Dec 2014, 16:04 »

I have begun playing it. Enjoyable, but long-term replayability will be dependent upon expansions or significant multiplayer - the opponent AI simply is not engaging enough for it to be a long-term singleplayer game. It will probably give me a couple months of gametime during my current hiatus from EVE before I check out one of my many other unplayed-but-purchased games on Steam. If I get into it enough, I may write up a substantial review. But it will have to get to the two hundred hour mark for that to be worth it, I think.

On a side note, I hope Rhea is treating you all well and that the future holds nothing but bright things.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2014, 20:42 by Jace »

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #32 on: 17 Dec 2014, 13:47 »

It's not SMAC, wasn't designed to be, never will be and comparing the two is an exercise in futility and/or self-gratification.

GAZE UPON MY HERESY AND WEEP
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2014, 13:50 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 18 Dec 2014, 09:05 »

It's not SMAC, wasn't designed to be, never will be and comparing the two is an exercise in futility and/or self-gratification.

Disagree! They of course say it's more of a 'spiritual successor' but it's hard not to compare two turn based civ style hex games set in the future where different factions of humanity colonize an alien planet and try to survive against both the biosphere and the other factions before attaining one of several victory conditions while upgrading units and researching a wide tech tree, exercising diplomacy and war in equal measures along the way.

:P

Yes it is its own thing, but AC will be a stick its measured against for good or bad for people who've played both.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #34 on: 18 Dec 2014, 14:52 »

Disagree! They of course say it's more of a 'spiritual successor' but it's hard not to compare two turn based civ style hex games set in the future where different factions of humanity colonize an alien planet and try to survive against both the biosphere and the other factions before attaining one of several victory conditions while upgrading units and researching a wide tech tree, exercising diplomacy and war in equal measures along the way.

:P

Yes it is its own thing, but AC will be a stick its measured against for good or bad for people who've played both.

... Why do you not weep at my heresy?  :cry:

And to be fair I think my original point was lost in translation, a lot of criticism seems to originate from it not being SMAC, period.

Although if Homeworld can release a "Remastered" edition, there's hope yet.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2014, 14:55 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 18 Dec 2014, 17:17 »

Speaking of homeworld, whatever happened to shipbreakers...?

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 18 Dec 2014, 18:37 »

Blackbird has their development time split between Remastered and Shipbreakers now. They also have investment. So now's actually a good time for them to regroup, plan ahead, and be quiet for a bit.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 21 Dec 2014, 21:00 »

It's not AC and should not be compared to AC. Only one person on the development team of BE also worked on AC, members of the team explicitly said in interviews that it has absolutely nothing to do with AC. They quite plainly stated while it was under development that it was Civ 5 in space.

People who checked it out hoping for AC or something similar were just looking for a reason to be annoyed with it. As such people, I hope they have perpetual itchiness for forty days and forty nights.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 22 Dec 2014, 06:55 »

Since they added a very few handful of things that were actually part of AC gameplay here and there, I am not so sure it's so clear cut.

And I would be lying if I said that I never ever hoped to see similar quality content than of AC added into the game. I was definitely not expecting AC2 since the beginning, especially after all that was stated by the devs on the subject, but heh...

I hope I don't get perpetual itchiness for forty days and forty nights, right, because I had the awful idea to look up to the classics, you know.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 22 Dec 2014, 09:41 »

Nope, it's clear cut.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 22 Dec 2014, 13:39 »

I didn't like the factions much none of them seemed terribly relevant to my interests - just thought I'd toss that out there.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #41 on: 22 Dec 2014, 14:15 »

I didn't like the factions much none of them seemed terribly relevant to my interests - just thought I'd toss that out there.

Like most critics I read said too, and comments. That's one of the things that I find the most detrimental because I often care a lot about the lore. Some people to the contrary, don't care the slightest, which is good for them since the game seems to be well designed, even if a bit like vanilla civ 5 that was criticized for its... lack of features at the beginning, until expansions came out to make people change their mind radically.

Well i'm also completely incapable of dealing with a lot of other design things at their very core level, but that's just a question of tastes. I heard that the game in itself is well oiled and designed.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jan 2015, 19:40 »

40% off on steam if you purchase before Monday.  I'm not going to but I know some of you were on the fence :)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #43 on: 16 Jan 2015, 08:56 »

40% off on steam if you purchase before Monday.  I'm not going to but I know some of you were on the fence :)

free weekend as well, iirc
\o/

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 16 Jan 2015, 11:21 »

Like most critics I read said too, and comments. That's one of the things that I find the most detrimental because I often care a lot about the lore. Some people to the contrary, don't care the slightest, which is good for them since the game seems to be well designed, even if a bit like vanilla civ 5 that was criticized for its... lack of features at the beginning, until expansions came out to make people change their mind radically.

Well i'm also completely incapable of dealing with a lot of other design things at their very core level, but that's just a question of tastes. I heard that the game in itself is well oiled and designed.

people at civfanatics have already done a couple of nice mods to CivBE
Pages: 1 2 [3]