Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That not all slaves are subjected to the Vitoc treatment?  Read more about the Vitoc method here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Civilization: Beyond Earth  (Read 5284 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Civilization: Beyond Earth
« on: 24 Oct 2014, 16:31 »

I thought I'd make a thread about this game in case others play it. My pre-order came in the mail today but I am waiting to install it until a friend of mine gets his version so we can start on the same day and learn in multiplayer.

But anyway, if anyone plays this and has thoughts post them here for the funz. If nobody plays it, I guess I can waddle back over to CF and chat about it there.  :P

Vikarion

Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2014, 19:56 »

I got it, and I play it, but I be the player of single player...because I suck at it.  :P
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2014, 23:13 by Vikarion »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2014, 01:28 »

I haven't played it but watched so many of their livestreams and other people demoing it that I can safely say that this firaxis game is my biggest disappointment from them. More than Civ 5, which had enough redeeming qualities to balance off the bad ones. Considering the huge difference between the sheepish media reviews and player reviews (completely mixed, varying between awesome and terrible), I suppose that I am not the only one.

But i'm too old school and elitist when it comes to 4X games. I usually don't like the new direction Firaxis seems to be taking in their games, and while they mean to cater to a bigger audience with more gimmicky and bland gameplay (in my eyes), I think they are losing their old school fans like me.

Though i'm still not totally sold on a bad opinion either. There are good ideas in that game and it doesn't seem awful, far from it.

My biggest gripes atm :

- Gimmicky gameplay, basically turning everything into gather a few points (like virtues, etc), unlock that little perk, get small bonuses, start again, choose another one... Typical of their latest games.
- Factions do not have much differences between them and their tiny bonuses just seem to be meaningless. Also still struggling to see why Brazilia suddenly got to be the militarist faction. Why not ? Ok, but weird.
- Bland, weird factions. They do not seem to 'speak' to me. I feel like there is nothing special in the lore.
- Interesting but messy tech tree. I don't like it. It's confusing, especially for the first playthroughs, and only add unnecessary complexity where it should not. Too much freedom in that kind of things kills freedom. Same for virtues.
- Tech tree freedom means that if you want to win, especially technologically, forces you to rush techs by skipping most of the things. Affinities also mean that you have to let 2/3 of them behind. It is debatable if that's good or not, but I hate it. Especially as an usual technology player.
- Like in Civ 5, no direct control over budgets and interior policies like in the old civs and most 4X games. Why they decided to drop that is beyond me, though it hints at :casual: :casual: :casual:...
- So few units ! They keep telling that they are customizable, but it's just about a few perks here and there. Give it 20% bonus against range. Yay. Not even an unit workshop, something I would expect from a 4X game that wants to use base 'hulls' like units to build upon.
- Completely debatable, I know, since it's not a SMAC successor (but it still draws many inspirations from there) : I would have expected a much deeper gameplay like in SMAC, with meaningful things like elevation gameplay, water gameplay and cities, meaningful and in depth factions, each one of them with a very different gameplay, a 'random' tech tree, interior policies, a true UN style council of factions with serious consequences, and fucking mind worms, not stupid cheesy kawaii aliens.
- Art direction is piss poor. Landscape look awful, and aliens look stupidly bland. Each affinity's design also look rubbish, especially the harmony one. And if you are not fan of mechs, then purity, not so much either... To be honest, I just feel that everything is cliché, almost childish in its looks, which was already an issue in Civ 4-5. It's very indicative of their casual approach to their games. Compared to a game like Endless Legend ( :cube:), it's pretty shit, but I guess that game set the standard higher too recently for it to impact on civ games. Not that they care anyway.
- Also, while they say it's a Civ in itself, and so uses the same engine and all, I can understand why trolls sometimes say that it's just Civ 5 with a SciFi skin. We usually see much more work and novelty between each Civ title.

Pros :

- The music, as usual.
- Interesting ideas, like choosing what you bring with you in your spaceship, though the choices are awfully limited eventually.
- The idea behind affinities.
- Espionage, like in SMAC.
- Quests.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2014, 08:00 by Lyn Farel »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2014, 04:50 »

Finished one playthrough and I loved it pretty much like I've loved every Civ game. Like with V they've stripped out the needlessly clunky and boring stuff to make way for more enjoyable gameplay. You'll always have the cranky people who'd rather get a reskin of SMAC than Civ5, but this one ticked all my spots as a more casual Civ player. IN SPACE.

Quest system made things interesting, giving both a bit of story flavor while also delivering a surprising amount of customizing of your buildings/economy. The tech tree was initially a bit overwhelming but a few techs in it became quite comfortable and I frankly love that this time around it's not "Yeah, you can just research EVERYTHING. Doesn't really matter." but instead you can choose between affinities, or even go wide-spread and go for a Domination victory instead. The Virtues system is really nifty as it rewards both going deep or wide with different bonuses to the specific subjects or synergy bonuses if you spread them around.

I would also recommend actually playing it before naysaying on the "tiny bonuses" of the factions, because they really do have an impact. It's quite significant to have for instance a much higher work speed for workers, or better spy system etc etc.

Love the art myself. It's pretty much exactly how Civ in Space would look. Harmony tech looks like biotech, etc. The augmentation guys go nicely "cyborgy" etc.

I find it very enjoyable and I really do recommend it, but just remember that this isn't the same as an earthbound civ game. You're not going through the entirety of human history and ending up with situations where you are bombing legionnaires etc. You're in one era of human history, the colonization and mastery of an alien planet. This means less unit variety but also more cohesion and everything matters. Researched tech won't be vastly outdated and pointless, either.

Civ5 also has the benefit of two expansions and fuck knows how many minor DLCs. If gameplay videos and the theme doesn't suck you in as it did me, I'd probably recommend just sticking with Civ5 for now, until Beyond Earth gets an expansion or two. Me? I'll be playing the singleplayer at least twice more which should lead to 20-30 hours, before I take another Civ break, which is about my usual Civ cycle.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2014, 06:40 »

is there a demo version ?
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2014, 06:44 »

Download Demo butan on Steam.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2014, 06:53 »

Download Demo butan on Steam.

that's good to hear. too many things dont have demos nowadays, all seems to be pay&take chances, or early access to unfinished (and might not be finished) things.
\o/

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:25 »

My friend still doesn't have his so I haven't played yet. I'm thinking about not waiting for him. I've had this preordered since the first week they opened up preorder. Hnnggg.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:31 »

I miss Alpha Centauri terribly.

Perhaps worth a demo download to test run this game!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:36 »

WARNING!

This is not Alpha Centauri 2. It isn't trying to be. It never will be.
This is Civ, in space. More to the point, Civ5 in space.

If you liked Civ5 and like sci-fi, you'll probably like this, but it's not Alpha Centauri.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:40 »

WARNING!

This is not Alpha Centauri 2. It isn't trying to be. It never will be.
This is Civ, in space. More to the point, Civ5 in space.

If you liked Civ5 and like sci-fi, you'll probably like this, but it's not Alpha Centauri.

Yes, this. The devs were very clear long before it was released that it is not AC, not intended to be AC, nor even a spiritual successor to it. It is a continuation of the Civ series post Civ-5. Nothing else.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:49 »

NERVE STAPLES FOR BOTH OF YOU

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:51 »

I have been playing this, and enjoying it.  I am enjoying trying to make the precursors to my favorite Sci-Fi societies.

There is lots of AI.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2014, 20:48 »

Gave the demo a whirl:

Seems to be as mentioned, just a Civ V reskin, for good or bad. I think a lot of people loved Civ V's more 'approachable' aesthetics and gameplay.

Beyond Earth certainly is missing the soul and the sci-fi heart of Alpha Centauri, that's for sure.  The factions seem extremely bland, and I just don't get that depth of lore and great writing AC had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIUb66Q6abQ

Might spend some more time with it though

« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2014, 20:59 by Silas Vitalia »

Vikarion

« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2014, 00:06 »

Gave the demo a whirl:

Seems to be as mentioned, just a Civ V reskin, for good or bad. I think a lot of people loved Civ V's more 'approachable' aesthetics and gameplay.

Beyond Earth certainly is missing the soul and the sci-fi heart of Alpha Centauri, that's for sure.  The factions seem extremely bland, and I just don't get that depth of lore and great writing AC had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIUb66Q6abQ

Might spend some more time with it though

Most of the techs and wonders have some good technobabble on the help screen. My greatest gripe with it so far is that it's a bit clunky in the interface, and other civs take too long on their turns, which is odd, because there often isn't as much going on as there was in Civ 5.

Also, they really needed to do a bit of art upgrading. No movies for wonder completion, the game is actually uglier than Civ 5, and faction differences really could use a bit more differentiation.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 00:09 by Vikarion »
Pages: [1] 2 3