Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That capsuleers frequently communicate by means of dataprojectors? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: THE EMPIRES CALL FOR AID  (Read 18128 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: BREAKING NEWS: THE EMPIRES CALL FOR AID
« Reply #135 on: 14 Nov 2013, 08:04 »

One of the biggest issues with events like this is the scale and the source of players.

1000+ players for each fleet or something along those numbers. So, trying ot organize them into a more cohesive fleet requires 2 things: Common coms for all, and a doctrine of sorts. Either that or trying to organize all "averagely similar" ships into similar groupings, ergo all 'long range' BS's in one group, and brawler cruisers in one, all the fast tacklers in one, etc. Then all of these have to work together. Then you have to hope their communication holds up and everyone work out together.

Needless to say this is not going to happen without A) a miracle or B) pre-announced ship and fittings needs, and neither of these are viable. Hoping that hundreds if not thousands of players somehow work well together without prior warning and organization is not viable. Pre-announcing needs is not viable either. The opposition will simply custom-tailor a perfect response.

So, in this case of "take 1000+ randoms and shove them into null into a waiting hundred's strong well organized doctrine wall of guns" obviously failed hard. It will always fail due to the nature of how this kind of event goes. You simply can't take a huge number of people and send them off to hostile space on their own with no organization and cohesion - someone somewhere WILL infiltrate and leak the info, somewhere they will be farmed.

I'm glad to see CCP acknowledging their mistakes in this event and to hear things from their perspective is cool, but frankly unless these concerns are fixed CCP-led events to null or low is going to end the same way every time: someone somewhere will crash the party, in the name of loot, kill-mails, and "ha ha we troll you." It don't bode very well for any future events outside of High-sec. It's a shame, but the very nature of EVE likely makes it an impossibility, unless CCP is willing ot contact and use specific group to help organize their events. This would smell to badly of favoritism so it's likely never going to happen.

Well, I guess we will have to wait and see how this goes in the future. I just don't hold up much hope. :(

Lyn Farel

« Reply #136 on: 14 Nov 2013, 08:49 »

That is presented in a rather... good light.

I have sometimes a hard time remembering it's about the same event...

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #137 on: 14 Nov 2013, 08:51 »

That is presented in a rather... good light.

I have sometimes a hard time remembering it's about the same event...

CCP's Modified Rose-colored Glasses have a bonus attribute to perceiving alternate versions of reality. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #138 on: 14 Nov 2013, 09:06 »

That blog post was a stirring fiction story.   

Sigh.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #139 on: 14 Nov 2013, 09:27 »

Real question, since people tend to say that CCP employees are also in nullsec blocs, hence why people thought they did this intentionally.

Having read that response, then read everything said in their massive flame thread about it... do CCP employees play or even like this game?

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #140 on: 14 Nov 2013, 10:18 »

That blog post was a stirring fiction story.   

Sigh.

Yeah, this. I can't tell if this is more incompetence, or deliberate effort to pretend this wasn't a disaster of an event. It's getting harder to assume stupidity - it's just too blatantly dishonest.

You'd think that CCP would have figured out that pretending everything is fine works out poorly when so many people are upset/angry. If you run an event, and it turns into a disaster, the players respond a lot better to "Whoops, we done fucked up, sorry" than to "Wasn't that awesome?"

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #141 on: 14 Nov 2013, 10:54 »

Quite.

Noticeably, he doesn't for a moment address the possibility that if you're heading towards one of the most significantly active nullsec regions in the cluster (Curse), maybe this isn't the best region to aim for?\

EDIT: We're not the only ones to see this either. Judging from the thread on Reddit, even nullsec is looking at this blog and going "really CCP? really?"
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2013, 11:04 by Esna Pitoojee »
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #142 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:13 »

My only guess is that his boss went, "Uh. Spin it. Spin it as hard as you can," and he went, "Well, okayyy..."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #143 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:17 »

My only guess is that his boss went, "Uh. Spin it. Spin it as hard as you can," and he went, "Well, okayyy..."

I don't like to conspiracy theory, but I'm inclined to go with this. Goliath is QA. Spin isn't something I'd expect out of him.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #144 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:28 »

Q. What was the expected outcome of yesterday's event? Was more than one result considered? Did things go to plan?

A. While there was an outcome that we anticipated; we wanted to leave the event as open ended as possible. We expected the Empire forces to successfully destroy the structure, interdict the pirate frigates who were trying to salvage what they could, and "win", so to speak. The actual outcome was different - the pirates won and got away with their research, and although the destruction of the structure was inevitable, the story impact of the actual outcome takes things off in a different direction than we had initially expected, which is cool!

This... is either a blatant lie or distressingly stupid.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2013, 12:22 by Victoria Stecker »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #145 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:32 »

As many of you corporate workers know,  what comes out of PR and what is actually happening can be on different planets.

:roll:

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #146 on: 16 Nov 2013, 06:14 »

well, since event actors are no longer allowed to be in player-owned channels, then this kind of organisation is the pattern for the future, isn't it ?
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #147 on: 16 Nov 2013, 11:38 »

Q. What was the expected outcome of yesterday's event? Was more than one result considered? Did things go to plan?

A. While there was an outcome that we anticipated; we wanted to leave the event as open ended as possible. We expected the Empire forces to successfully destroy the structure, interdict the pirate frigates who were trying to salvage what they could, and "win", so to speak. The actual outcome was different - the pirates won and got away with their research, and although the destruction of the structure was inevitable, the story impact of the actual outcome takes things off in a different direction than we had initially expected, which is cool!

The structures were apparently indestructible. So blatant lie it seems like.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #148 on: 16 Nov 2013, 18:30 »

The structures were apparently indestructible. So blatant lie it seems like.

CCP as repeatedly insisted that they were not indestructible.

While I didn't make it to the end room, I'd be willing to bet there were a few LCOs mixed in with the target structure. People probably shot the wrong thing and got the zero damage message, and mistakenly assumed all hope was lost.

I've played enough missions to know that not everything in EVE can be blown up, even when there's something you should be blowing up.

It's also worth noting that the nullsec crowd did end up mopping the floor with the dev fleet and the structures.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #149 on: 16 Nov 2013, 18:47 »

I have spoken to three people - one at Syndicate, two at the Curse event - who all confirmed that they were repeatedly landing hits for 0 damage. I find the suggestion that CCP intended to swap the target structures out for destructible versions at some point to be the most reasonable suggestion, but if that was the plan then they either forgot, didn't do it correctly, or the conditions for the swap weren't met.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11