Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Sabik's Sepsis is a blood disease that rarely lasts into adulthood, but is considered sacrilege when it does? (The Burning Life, pp. 20,21)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The LGBTAlphabet Thread  (Read 2337 times)

Iwan Terpalen

Re: The LGBTAlphabet Thread
« Reply #30 on: 23 Aug 2013, 11:40 »

Tangent: I've recently played Analogue: A Hate Story and its sequel, Hate Plus. Aside from being arguably the best text-heavy visual novels about library research on 25th-century space Koreans living on a generation ship in existence, they've got one of the more interesting treatments of LGBTQ characters, social issues, and love I've seen in quite a while.

Has anyone else? What're your thoughts?

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
Re: The LGBTAlphabet Thread
« Reply #31 on: 10 Sep 2013, 17:34 »

Tangent: I've recently played Analogue: A Hate Story and its sequel, Hate Plus. Aside from being arguably the best text-heavy visual novels about library research on 25th-century space Koreans living on a generation ship in existence, they've got one of the more interesting treatments of LGBTQ characters, social issues, and love I've seen in quite a while.

Has anyone else? What're your thoughts?

I absolutely loved Analogue; have not checked out Hate Plus as yet. I played Don't Take It Personally, Babe before Analogue. Both games surprised me (well, I had more idea what to expect by the time I played Analogue) in a number of ways. Let me count some of 'em:

I really dislike a lot of animé-style artwork, which is predominant in Christine Love's games, so I was already predisposed to turn my nose up. Surprise number one: I was fine with the artwork once I was involved in the story.

I tend to dislike point-and-click adventures, and this kind of interactive fiction strikes me as a close bedfellow of that genre. Again, predisposition inclined me towards dislike, so swinging the other way was surprise number two.

I was surprised at how quickly I was invested in the characters with both games. This is particularly odd in Analogue, given that you're talking to an AI and reading about dead people. There's an easy parallel with Gone Home here, where I found myself really beginning to like the central character...despite that character being entirely absent from the game. It strikes me that it takes a deft touch to achieve that sort of connection between player and character(s).

There's a lot to moan about in the games industry, so it's fantastic that there are at least some people making thoughtful games like this. It's the perfect antidote to that species of jaded ennui you tend to acquire after thirty-ish years of gaming.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 2 [3]