Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: GDC Vault: Sex and Sexism in Games  (Read 7466 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: GDC Vault: Sex and Sexism in Games
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2013, 06:27 »

That's would be just like calling the content of your speech full of prejudice and irrelevant just because you fucked up in the past on some of your work at some point.

Perhaps you are right. The problem seems to be (at least from my perspective) that he thinks that he and his have done a fairly progressive job, and his company and supporters have not shied away from calling those who criticized their games "homophobes", among other things. That's a particularly asshole-ish thing to do, and so, my opinion is that he's poisoned his own well.

Maybe yes, I don't know enough on the subject to have a real idea or opinion on this particular side of the matter.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #31 on: 22 Aug 2013, 19:21 »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=opM3T2__lZA

Thread necro

This explains well.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 23 Aug 2013, 13:18 »

Heh, nice little series of videos.

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #33 on: 11 Sep 2013, 17:33 »

Late to the party, but I have OPINIONS, dammit!

And people in the game don't treat you markedly differently based on what gender you are or who you marry, nor are they - if you pay attention - always straight and/or white. And people loved Skyrim. I loved Skyrim. So if there's necessarily all this sexism in gaming, and all these male gamers are sexist pigs, then you need to explain why some very diverse games do so very well. Certainly some people are sexist pigs. But to call the audience for these games largely such seems less than plausible.

I'm not sure Skyrim (or any of the elder scrolls games) are the best example here.  For the record, I love the elder scrolls and Daggerfall is absolutely one of my favourite games, but due to its sandbox nature same sex marriage etc tends to be something very much in the background (like many, many aspects of the game).  I.e you can do it if you want to, but it's not going to intrude on you in any way shape or form if you don't or wish to ignore it.  It's completely non-threatening.  So no one is going to get bent out of shape over it.

I don't think you DO need to explain why Skyrim did well despite having that option, as it wasn't that option that made the game popular and sell well.

I would think that a lot of the hate many of these socially conscious game critics get is not due explicitly to their gender, but to the fact that they are messing with some person's toys, and gamers tend to be pretty protective of their toys.

Hm. Not just socially conscious game critics, anyone espousing a progressive viewpoint tends to get hate re: video games from certain quarters.  Thing is (and the thing that certain vocal straight male gamers seem to not fathom) is that they're my toys too.  Always have been (or since I was about five) And I want them to be better.

By better I mean more complex, dynamic, thoughtful, innovative etc etc.  I want realistic three dimensional characters that I can believe in.  I'd rather games avoided using the same tired tropes (such as the damsel in distress) not because I find them offensive, but because it's lazy writing and (often) bad storytelling.

Which is not to say there can't be room for simple mindless violence, ofc.   I'm not asking for Shakespeare here, but I'd prefer anything using story as a selling point to have a good one, with convincing characters.

It's generally not a case of trying to take anything away from anyone or censor anything - they just want more choice and, frankly, for the bar to be raised a bit.  Or that's certainly what I want, anyways.

In other news, it's worth watching this for the lolz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njHMRoAD9gk&list=FL3YrbAjTOWsYyxF5S5HJY7g
'Lord, Give Me Strength: A Dramatic Reading' which shows outrage at a female gamer wanting to be treated as an equal at E3 and argues that wimminz should just make their own, separate, games if they have any issues with the ones around already.

Amusing.

Thing is though, I think he *does* correctly identify that so many games are just...fucking stupid because they're appealing to the lowest common denominator for low risk quick cash.  Difference is he seems proud of that, whereas I think, I know, games can do better.

The most interesting games at the moment seem to be indie ones vov

edit: as an aside, re: 'they're my toys too' once upon a time on the eve-online forums I read a post asking in what ways eve could be changed to be more female friendly and attract more female players.  I cringed a bit, although I'm sure the intention was well meaning. Not only did that get the backs up of the knee-jerk reactionary people who were all YOU AREN'T FEMINIZING MY EVE! but it also completely overlooked the female gamers who already played and enjoyed it. 
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2013, 17:55 by Kala »

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:58 »

This is mostly a reaction to Kala's post. Because I just read it.

To be fair Eve's penetration of the female demographic is minimal, to put it kindly. (If you'll pardon the parlance.)

Also, in a completely ironic turn of events, you are expressing outrage at being marginalised because CCP seek to introduce a wider audience, which is pretty much in total counterpoint to the first part of your post where you slap around people who feel outrage at being marginalised because Developers are seeking to be welcoming to a wider demographic. :3

None of this detracts from the sense of your points - I just thought it was funny.

Something you said regarding Skyrim sort of jarred with me, I don't know how others felt about it, but you said that controversy regarding same-sex marriages in Skyrim was low because they were non-threatening. That sort of rubbed me up the wrong way because I find same-sex relationships and marriages unthreatening a posteriori.

Should they be threatening? How would that look?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbuPwVI4N8

Now, this IS old news, because I left the industry about five years ago - BUT I have sat on the hiring teams for designers in the games industry. Female game designer candidates who were equivalently qualified were basically as common as rocking horse shit. If you wanted to hire a woman you were, generally, turning away a more qualified applicant who would be a better fit to the team.

I'm pretty sure that's not how woman game designers wanted to get hired. For their bumpy bits and not because they're the best person for the job.

I hope that's changed. Changing that was always going to be part of the challenge, in my opinion.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #35 on: 12 Sep 2013, 08:17 »

It's not threatening per se, it's threatening for people that rely heavily on priviledge.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #36 on: 12 Sep 2013, 10:51 »

Something you said regarding Skyrim sort of jarred with me, I don't know how others felt about it, but you said that controversy regarding same-sex marriages in Skyrim was low because they were non-threatening. That sort of rubbed me up the wrong way because I find same-sex relationships and marriages unthreatening a posteriori.

My personal interpretation of that bit was similar to my own statement earlier in the thread - Skyrim's relationships are about as deep as a puddle, and from my understanding of the mechanics involved, there is functionally no difference in presentation between homosexual and heterosexual relations except for appearance.  It's 'unthreatening' because it barely qualifies as a relationship and thus wouldn't rustle any feathers except for the most hardcore boneheads.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 12 Sep 2013, 17:21 »

I'll grant you that the relationships in Skyrim are as superficial as aluminium sidinf.

That said though - how are the relationships supposed to be different?

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #38 on: 12 Sep 2013, 18:49 »

I'll grant you that the relationships in Skyrim are as superficial as aluminium sidinf.

That said though - how are the relationships supposed to be different?

They aren't.  But there's a difference between leaving something the same to make that point, and leaving them the same because it's a tacked on mechanic that doesn't even acknowledge the player beyond activating some sequence of bits.

Relationships tend to be similar, or at least to be part of a limited selection of archetypes, regardless of who is involved.  This does not mean that I, a heterosexual male, do not have preferences in terms of who I would form an intimate relationship with (note: I'm talking IRL here).  The Skyrim approach grinds my suspension of disbelief something horrible as a result.

I will, to be fair, admit that I've never actually gone through the process in that game, merely poked about on the wiki on the matter.  What I saw was sufficient to put me off actually trying it for the aforementioned reasons.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #39 on: 13 Sep 2013, 08:56 »

Thread necro

This explains well.

The creators were wise to disable comments to avoid the shit-storm going on around the topic, but basically all I see are YT explanations for why tropes against females are bad. I agree with all points raised in all of the one's I've seen so far, but beyond myself agreeing, I can't help but feel somewhat slighted, if for the only reason that there is no counter present that I can see, unless I've missed them.

Ofc, the purpose of the videos was (I assume) to pull attention to bad tropes regarding females, and not absolutely to argue for equality, so I can't demand to much. But from my personal viewpoint regarding equality, I can't help but feel this is akin to an argument that don't permit any answer or counter argument by simply not allowing any response. Sexism goes both ways, but honestly the creators here don't seem to care.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #40 on: 13 Sep 2013, 13:25 »

I can't help but feel this is akin to an argument that don't permit any answer or counter argument by simply not allowing any response.

Just because comments are disabled on YouTube, it doesn't mean there can't be any discussion or counter. Not that you would ever in a million years have anything approaching a discussion in YouTube comments. We all know exactly what kind of "discussion" there would be if comments were open: we all saw the rape threats and the general torrent of shit that the original Kickstarter generated from the entitled mouthbreathers that dominate the Internet. Link.

The discussion just has to take place in a different venue. The counter, if there is one, can be a video in response, a blog post, or a forum post.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #41 on: 13 Sep 2013, 17:02 »

I realize that. I am simply commenting on a... 'feel' I got from the vids. Obviously I agree with you on the YT 'discussion' thing - I mention that in the very first line :P

Well, impressions and feelings aside, any known avenue for these things to be discussed in a bit more civilized manner?

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #42 on: 13 Sep 2013, 18:51 »

Thread necro

This explains well.

The creators were wise to disable comments to avoid the shit-storm going on around the topic, but basically all I see are YT explanations for why tropes against females are bad. I agree with all points raised in all of the one's I've seen so far, but beyond myself agreeing, I can't help but feel somewhat slighted, if for the only reason that there is no counter present that I can see, unless I've missed them.

Ofc, the purpose of the videos was (I assume) to pull attention to bad tropes regarding females, and not absolutely to argue for equality, so I can't demand to much.

Well it doesn't take too much creativity, really.

Look at your game shelf, and I'm pretty sure, if you're honest to yourself you can find at least one example where a female character is only there because she's female.

But, really, that's only a start. Look at the games on your shelf. You'll notice a few things.

1) Most will feature yon penis-bearers as main characters, simple.
2) Most Adult Female main characters follow a number of of these specific design parameters:
  • Most will be conventionally beautiful and/or wear as little as legally required.
  • In groups of main characters, they are either the only female, or accompanied by another female who's only real role is "opposite of this girl"
  • Some will have excessive focus on their femininity, or more specifically, stereotypes of femininity. From the mild, being helpless and gentle, to the worst such as "How do we make this girl a deeper character? I know! Rape/abuse/torture survivor!" i.e. she's only strong because she cant get over how weak she was.
  • On the other hand, developers have a cunning solution which is to bring up gender as little as possible, basically "By the way, have you noticed I have breasts?"
  • Some games just plain don't have any female main characters of particular note or importance.

None of this is just an accident, and truth be told, Smurfette principle doesn't even scratch the surface.

Sexism goes both ways, but honestly the creators here don't seem to care

I have to speak my mind here, that's like a, 1800s supporter of the slave trade saying "What are you African folks complaining about? Some white people live in poverty too you know!"

The aim of that of course, is not to smear you or say that this is exactly what you're doing, but to point out that yes, some men do suffer sexism, but men are not on the real pointy end of it it. Women do not benefit from sexism, but men? Being born a man means more open Labour markets, less sexual discrimination in the workplace, easier entrance and more staying power in politics at every level, less domestic abuse, higher income, larger pensions, less expenses, less likely to suffer sexual abuse, near-immune to "slut shaming" and "victim blaming", more likely to own land, less likely to live in poverty. Just off the top of my head

But, what you say is also very true: Men do suffer sexism, and that is wrong. In the context of debate, i.e. the inequality of men and women on every level, sexism suffered by men is important, very much so, things like rape not being counted as such because men can't be raped apparently, are important talking points.

But the problem that most advocates of the males-suffer-sexism-too camp, is that they frame it as "Men have it just as hard as women, if not harder." They do not recognise that it's not an issue on the other side of the scales, but a sure and direct result of the gender stereotypes we're all talking about! All sexism, against men and women, is a product of a society which gives one gender more power.
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2013, 18:58 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #43 on: 13 Sep 2013, 18:52 »

To be fair Eve's penetration of the female demographic is minimal, to put it kindly. (If you'll pardon the parlance.)

Sure.  And it was even less at the time; player base was low and percentage of female players was very low.
I didn't mean to necessarily express outrage, I said I cringed.  Because it came across as patronising and the suggestion (in the context of the thread, mind you) pleased no one - male or female.  The most sensible (in my opinion) posit was that real life gender shouldn't matter either way; we're all here to just play the game.  But that said, I can understand the irritation at being written out when you're already a minority.

Of course I understood the intention - to be more inclusive and make more money.  Neither of which would be bad things.  Just that it overlooked the points outlined above, and if anything came across as naive if well-intentioned.

I meant it more as an extension of the 'toys' point (which does regard marginalisation - ignoring a proportion of a playerbase, however small, when kind of referring to them at the same time...well it's kind of like talking about you when you're in the room) but also just as something I found interesting at the time (and still do).  I'll bring up that point not just in regards to gender, by the by, but also about how I feel it's (always) important not to lose sight of what your original vision is when attempting to broaden your userbase.  I'm not saying don't adapt or be flexible, what I'm saying is...

If you build it, they will come.  Broadening your appeal is fine, as long as you still have the spirit of what everyone is there in the first place for.  The women who liked the game are already enjoying it; change it too much to fit into some idea of what you think all women would like (if such a thing could be possible), and you risk alienating your initial playerbase (or even worse, in your earnest desire to broaden your userbase, you've left the niche that made you singularly interesting). 

Also, in a completely ironic turn of events, you are expressing outrage at being marginalised because CCP seek to introduce a wider audience, which is pretty much in total counterpoint to the first part of your post where you slap around people who feel outrage at being marginalised because Developers are seeking to be welcoming to a wider demographic. :3

Not saying I haven't been inconsistent with my views, it's entirely possible! But who did I slap around for feeling outrage at being marginalised? I'm all for the marginalised! Not sure at all what you meant there - who's being marginalised by asking for smarter, more complex and innovative games? People who aren't into having to think about stuff are always going to have purely twitched based stuff if they aren't interested in story and characters.

Did you mean the whole misogynistic backlash at any complaint of sexism in general, reaching crazy melodramatic proportions of rape and death threats towards any perceived threat? (Such as the fem freq videos or that bioware writer or whoever else) :o cause um.  those outraged people aren't marginalised at all. They're pretty much the main demographic of every game everywhere whose outrage is entirely based on entitlement of that fact. 0.o;

The fact that she'd receive so much hate for even wanting to study tropes in games (which is a massive compliment to the gaming industry as a whole, btw, in basically saying it's a legit medium as much as film or literature to examine this stuff) is...frankly insane.

/scratches head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbuPwVI4N8

Yah, no to the pillows  :P
Ok - yeah, I didn't spell it out but will do so now -

The people likely to feel threatened and froth at the mouth at the overt presence of same sex marriage or anything outside of their comfort zone in 'their games' are likely to be the same people who go apeshit at the damsel in distress videos.  The 'threatening' bit (to someone ALREADY homophobic, not me, which seemed to be your suggestion >.< I find the concept 'unthreatening a posteriori' also. at least, I think I do, as I'm not 100% on what 'a posteriori' means, but with you on the first bit) is when it's IN the narrative, challenging it directly, FORCING the player to have to deal with said concept IN the storyline thereby having to face their OWN set of associations; however formed, however erroneous.

Skyrim emphatically does not do this. Nor am I saying it necessarily should be in the forefront of the game, because that's not what Skyrim is about. Just that's my opinion of why people who may dislike the idea of games being more diverse also had no problem with Skyrim - because it's all very easy to ignore.  And therefore non-threatening to people already predisposed to find it threatening. Who, as we've already established, is not you or me.

But tell me those people aren't vocally active and pervasive in the gaming community and I will respectfully disagree.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 13 Sep 2013, 18:58 »

I think we agree that we agree then, Kala.

:)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6