Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki who supported Caldari independence from the Federation were first exiled from the Federation, and then attacked by Caldari radicals demanding the expulsion of all foreigners? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Romney's VP?  (Read 17374 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Romney's VP?
« Reply #30 on: 16 Aug 2012, 11:53 »

Also: FiveThirtyEight currently gives President Obama ~70% chance at winning re-election, and his model right now projects a 300-238 Electoral College victory. OTOH, he also projects a 51-48 split in the popular vote.

Maybe this will convince conservatives that getting rid of the Electoral College is a good idea.

Our founding fathers weren't that progressive in some areas and had some bad feelings about the 'tyranny of the masses' swinging elections.  They thought best to leave it up to the new aristocracy just in case :P

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 16 Aug 2012, 16:24 »

Also: FiveThirtyEight currently gives President Obama ~70% chance at winning re-election, and his model right now projects a 300-238 Electoral College victory. OTOH, he also projects a 51-48 split in the popular vote.

Maybe this will convince conservatives that getting rid of the Electoral College is a good idea.

Our founding fathers weren't that progressive in some areas and had some bad feelings about the 'tyranny of the masses' swinging elections.  They thought best to leave it up to the new aristocracy just in case :P

To bad it isn't up to an actual Electoral College and is instead a by-state popular vote with procedures per state varying.

Imagine the result in 2000 if a body of intelligent representatives had actually weighed and measured the leadership, experience, and philosophies of Al Gore & George W. Bush?

Too bad we didn't stick with what our Founding Fathers envisioned and decided we knew better and popularized the Republic.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #32 on: 16 Aug 2012, 16:28 »

My point is that it's not decided by popular vote, which is one of the major reasons why all the reports on "national polls" are totally useless.

And while I am not one of the people who would say this, some people would say that the Supreme Court's rulings on Florida recounts in fall 2000 qualifies. :P (No, I know, you don't have to refute that, I'm being silly.)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #33 on: 17 Aug 2012, 11:12 »

The Supreme Court should've ruled that they had to settle it by dueling.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #34 on: 17 Aug 2012, 12:20 »

Paul Ryan has stated that his favorite band is Rage Against the Machine.

Rage Against the Machine posted on their twitter that "Paul Ryan loving Rage Against the Machine is the most fundamental misunderstanding of music since Charles Manson loved the Beatles."
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2012, 13:23 by Syylara/Yaansu »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 17 Aug 2012, 16:48 »

Rage Against the Machine posted on their twitter that "Paul Ryan loving Rage Against the Machine is the most fundamental misunderstanding of music since Charles Manson loved the Beatles."

O. M.  G.

So much fail from Ryan I'm not even sure what to say

Vikarion

« Reply #37 on: 17 Aug 2012, 20:52 »

O. M.  G.

So much fail from Ryan I'm not even sure what to say

I know a Christian who likes Bad Religion.  :P

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #38 on: 17 Aug 2012, 21:43 »

Oh for goodness' sake, music is music at the end of the day, not some movement or lifestyle.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #39 on: 17 Aug 2012, 22:09 »

Unless your music IS part of a movement.

This is seriously like Richard Nixon going on about how much he likes Bob Dylan.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 17 Aug 2012, 22:48 »

What's Rage's movement? Angry 13-year-old boys from suburbia? Kehehe...yeah

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 17 Aug 2012, 23:15 »

Wikipedia ftw

Vikarion

« Reply #42 on: 18 Aug 2012, 01:15 »

Wikipedia ftw

I knew there was a reason I hated them.  :P

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #43 on: 18 Aug 2012, 01:56 »

Oh for goodness' sake, music is music at the end of the day, not some movement or lifestyle.

No, it is quite common for music (or any form of art, really) to be used as a vehicle for social commentary or to communicate cultural values (or lack thereof :9).

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 18 Aug 2012, 11:19 »

Oh, I'm aware of that. I just don't think you HAVE to subscribe to that. I shouldn't have to wear chains and black to watch metal.

On the other hand, my USian brother-in-law said he just brought up Rage as a cheap way to 'connect' with voters. Isn't he about 15 years out of date though? They might still be popular here.

Wikipedia ftw

Well now, activism would be a different story, I made the mistake of assuming just listening to the music was apart of it.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2012, 11:20 by Seriphyn »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13