Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: MechWarrior MMO  (Read 17404 times)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
Re: MechWarrior MMO
« Reply #45 on: 02 Nov 2011, 14:22 »

"A call for trial. Justice by combat."

Never read the books but played the MechWarrior PC games from very early on. If this game is ever released I will try it out.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #46 on: 02 Nov 2011, 20:39 »

If memory serves, the biggest benefit to clan tech is a massive range advantage. Clan tech ER PPCs, ER Heavy Lasers and half weight LRM racks make stand off engagements really, really ugly for standard tech opponents.

It sounds like the developers want to focus on mostly short range engagements though, so standard tech won't be at a huge disadvantage.

Better heat dispersion is the biggest advantage.    They also have better sensors, better speed on comparable mechs, better jump jets, and some sort of battle HUD overlay that improves combat awareness by a significant amount over IS mechs if I recall.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/OmniMech
The modular construction allows MechWarriors to customize their machine's weapon loadout to suit their own skills and preference, and suit specific tactical or environmental needs as required. Where a BattleMech of comparable weight is designed and built for a specific role, a OmniMech can serve as a direct-fire combatant one day, and a missile boat the next.

Though not solely created for modular weapon loadouts, the OmniMech design greatly aids repair and construction as well. If a weapon pod is damaged, it can be quickly detached and replaced with another while the original is undergoing repair. If certain weapons or ammunition are unavailable, alternates can be easily substituted. Once their modular weaponry and equipment is removed, the empty bays generally provide larger spaces to access and repair the base chassis. Damaged components such as arms and legs can be easily replaced in half the time it takes for common BattleMechs, and often with less experienced technicians able perform such tasks.

How many people played MW3 on Microsoft Zone?
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2011, 20:49 by Hamish Grayson »

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #47 on: 02 Nov 2011, 22:16 »

Is this the battle HUD you're talking about?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Enhanced_Imaging

Clan tech has many advantages over standard tech, but I contend the range advantage is the nastiest. Clan ER PPCs and Heavy Lasers can out range anything in the standard Inner Sphere arsenal and have significant armor breach capabilities. Clan tech LRM-20s have a mass of 5 tons if I remember right-- you can pretty much slap one of those on anything just for kicks. The last thing you want to see when you're fighting the Clans are light and medium weight mechs with ER PPCs or ER Heavy lasers on an open field. . .they can hold range and you won't be able to return fire. The Primary config Warhawk is the spawn of the devil. :)

I played through the Mechwarrior 3 campaign, but never tried it multiplayer. I've spent most of my time with the tabletop game, played in the old Mechcommander StarLance league and then in EA's MPBT:3025 before they killed it.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #48 on: 03 Nov 2011, 11:36 »

i've only played mechcommander and mechcommander 2, i liked them.

iirc mechcommander has you commanding a unit of the Davion Guards. enemies include things from clan smoke jaguar, but everything else i can't remember.

mechcommander was quite different, was some kind of mercenary unit.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
MECHWARRIOR MMO
« Reply #49 on: 20 Nov 2011, 16:40 »

I don't know how many of you all used to waste hours piloting giant mechs for the PC like 15 years ago, but it was fantastically fun, and one of the first LAN games I enjoyed extensively. 

If you hadn't heard, they are bringing Mechwarrior back as a FTP MMO, and to boot using the CryEngine 3 for visuals.

I have doubts about the FTP model, but part of me really, really wants to believe we are getting an epic mmo mech simulator. From what I've read they are being serious about the different aspects of the game such as customization, information warfare, etc. 

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/225053/cryengine-3-powering-mechwarrior-online/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: MECHWARRIOR MMO
« Reply #50 on: 20 Nov 2011, 16:53 »

If it had been a singleplayer game with normal multiplayer option, I would currently be bouncing around the room like an idiot, whooping and cheering. That it's an MMO pretty much killed every single shred of enthusiasm I had for it, especially as it's FTP.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #51 on: 20 Nov 2011, 16:57 »

Other thread: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=2830.0

But yes, should be interesting.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #52 on: 20 Nov 2011, 18:49 »

Ahh sorry I missed that thread! Mods feel free to shut this one down!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #53 on: 20 Nov 2011, 18:59 »

I was a child in a bookstore in 1990 when I randomly came across "Technical Readout 3050" with the MadCat on the cover.  My child pea-brain didn't even really understand that it was a board game, just that it was an awesome book full of giant robots.

I would absolutely support an EVE merc clan.  I have to imagine all our combined years of FCing internet spaceships would put us in a very good spot for dominating pvp if the game is even remotely tactically based (and not fps twitch or WOW nonsense based)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #54 on: 20 Nov 2011, 19:00 »

Agreed.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #55 on: 20 Nov 2011, 20:25 »

Merged the duplicate rather than locking it.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #56 on: 20 Nov 2011, 21:02 »

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/11/27-developer-qa-1

Persistent meta-game but not like EVE single server.  You'll play a series of 'matches.'

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #57 on: 20 Nov 2011, 21:22 »

Guess it's World of Tanks with team points.

Can't say I'm that excited anymore.  :|

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 20 Nov 2011, 22:49 »

Perhaps blessings in disguise, as being able to hop-on and play a match or two might have its own merits.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #59 on: 20 Nov 2011, 23:11 »

Wouldn't that be better served by a good singleplayer game with multiplayer attached, like the previous installments?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12