Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The number of young, idealistic scientists found in Verge Vendor is disproportionately high? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: MechWarrior MMO  (Read 17389 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: MechWarrior MMO
« Reply #30 on: 01 Nov 2011, 13:33 »

Anyone interested in a Merc/pirate guild?

le Merc?  Oh, yus pls.

The big merc groups were always more interesting than the houses or clans.

From the look of it, you'll at least have to be on the payroll of one of the great houses.  What's your preference?

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 01 Nov 2011, 13:39 »

Hey, what's not to love with Lyrans and their assault recon lances (of four ZEU-6Ss, or preferably, AS7-Ds)?

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #32 on: 01 Nov 2011, 16:04 »

My 3025 tech book was printed in 1986, so I'm sure there have been a few updates.

My vote would be for a Lyran Commonwealth merc group also.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #33 on: 01 Nov 2011, 17:12 »

Each of the Houses offers a lot of potential really, even the Merc hating Combine.   However, I agree that for an up and coming Merc unit that Steiner makes the most sense.   I say we go with 'Mordu's Legion' to pay respect to Eve :p

Thoughts on unit history/Background.   A Solaris 7 group opens the door to more diverse character backgrounds.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #34 on: 01 Nov 2011, 17:52 »

I'm Kurita for life.. though actually, at that stage of the the timeline there is also Rasalhague, but didn't see it listed as an option.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2011, 17:54 by GoGo Yubari »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #35 on: 01 Nov 2011, 17:55 »

I approach all the news coming out about this with a jaded, tenative hope...

THAT SAID....

If they do this right, I mean like really right, then CCP needs to watch the fuck out.

I know I would consider it my new primary game. I'm sure many many others in EVE prospective audience would as well.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #36 on: 01 Nov 2011, 18:12 »

I'm Kurita for life.. though actually, at that stage of the the timeline there is also Rasalhague, but didn't see it listed as an option.

The combine will always be my first love.

Graelyn:  These are the guys who made that new Duke Nukem game that bombed pretty badly so I too am wary.   However, if the make it work it will replace Eve for me also.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2011, 18:21 by Hamish Grayson »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #37 on: 01 Nov 2011, 20:20 »

Lydia: Oooh, antiquity. Can I touch it?

And I'm usually a peripherat but...hmm...not sure which great house I'd choose. They're all imperialist bastards!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #38 on: 01 Nov 2011, 20:23 »

They're all imperialist bastards!

So true! 

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #39 on: 01 Nov 2011, 21:40 »

Heh I have a shelf full of these books, and a steamer trunk full of old battletech novels. Most of them are slowly turning to dust.  :|

I really want this game to not suck, but the sudden announcement and "register your pilot name now!" kind of screams "We're out of money and need something to show to potential investors".

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 01 Nov 2011, 23:10 »

Whats all this talk about a "faction"?  If the Draconic Combine gives me oodles of cash and Clan Tech, I'll paint that dragon symbol on my face and sing their national anthem. 

We're mercs man! 

(Hope this game doesnt suck.)
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #41 on: 02 Nov 2011, 03:41 »

I heard about it, but newer played MechWarrior really, but i may try the game.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 02 Nov 2011, 05:05 »

It's "now" 3048, regular access to Clan tech is hopefully some time ago, with the two-three years after launch (next year, 3049 - hopefully) the contact with Clan equipment being usually rather brief and violent, if they get it right. (And in the first year, they'll reach the Periphery at best.) At best someone might offer some Lostech we could attempt to duct tape on the 'Mech.

Of course, it's a big open question how they do Clans for balance reasons and how/when players get access to Clan tech, but I would assume it happens little by little to keep up interest.

Edit: Oh. Warhammer WHM-7M is apprently two years old, so we'll have some IS advanced equipment around. (Of course, ZEU-9S is listed as 3050 at least in Megamek, but it's already mentioned in the http://twitter.com/#!/innerspherenews - hopefully they do the propagation of tech right.)
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2011, 05:22 by Mithfindel »

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #43 on: 02 Nov 2011, 08:24 »

Confirming that I will be DFA'ing everything!  :twisted:
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #44 on: 02 Nov 2011, 13:36 »

If memory serves, the biggest benefit to clan tech is a massive range advantage. Clan tech ER PPCs, ER Heavy Lasers and half weight LRM racks make stand off engagements really, really ugly for standard tech opponents.

It sounds like the developers want to focus on mostly short range engagements though, so standard tech won't be at a huge disadvantage.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12