Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Electus Matari lost over 400 members at the start of its war with PIE Inc?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: MechWarrior MMO  (Read 17388 times)

Akikio L

• Wetgraver
    • Akikio's Plog
Re: MechWarrior MMO
« Reply #165 on: 10 Nov 2012, 13:59 »

Just informing those who might have missed it that this is now in open beta.

I like the slower pace compared to standard FPS and the focus on team work to get anywhere. Though I'm still learning the basics as a lone wolf in PUG matches I really enjoy it.  :D

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #166 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:23 »

They've temporarily reduced the maximum group size to 4 due to massive complaints about pug teams fighting dedicated 8-man kill teams.

On the 20th Nov they will bring it back up to 8.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #167 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:20 »

Had to stay out of the game for 3 weeks because I experienced serious FPS issues (and not because the computer is bad, but because the game was in shambles). Been back for a little over a week now.

I like this game. I want to love this game. Too bad I am slowly losing confidence in the development. I don't think they are making good decisions for the game's future, but we'll see.

Just today they let us know that the game will get a 3rd person mode.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #168 on: 14 Nov 2012, 21:19 »

Had to stay out of the game for 3 weeks because I experienced serious FPS issues (and not because the computer is bad, but because the game was in shambles). Been back for a little over a week now.

I like this game. I want to love this game. Too bad I am slowly losing confidence in the development. I don't think they are making good decisions for the game's future, but we'll see.

Just today they let us know that the game will get a 3rd person mode.

What sorts of things do you have issues with?

My only bones to pick right now are terrible, terrible UI for matchfinding, no lobbies, group making, etc. In-game combat I'm super happy with for the most part.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #169 on: 23 Nov 2012, 04:43 »

What sorts of things do you have issues with?

My only bones to pick right now are terrible, terrible UI for matchfinding, no lobbies, group making, etc. In-game combat I'm super happy with for the most part.

I think they've done well with the core gameplay, really. Well, a poor 3rd person implementation possibly not-withstanding. I don't particularly like the "hey let's copy WoT and then wonder why our game is not popular approach" they have to f2p and the meta elements of the game and occasionally I see odd flashes of what could be incompetence... at least their QA seems to miss pretty obvious things. All that said, I think how they implement community warfare will be the big proving point for them. I'm glad about the core gameplay, can live with the industry standard trappings of f2p, but for long term success community warfare is key.

In the meantime, I'm still playing and so in the tradition of "More 'Mechs, Music and Mayhem!", I've done my latest video in honor of the recently introduced Cataphract (hence the nods to the Capellan Confederation). Like these things tend to do, the 'Mech changed the face of the game for a bit as everyone flocked to use autocannons. This was good good news - because they had been somewhat neglected and thus the face of warfare in MWO mostly lacked this aspect of Battletech - and bad news, as some of them may have been somewhat overpowered (since hotfixed).

Anyway, all that autocannon fire makes for some pretty sweet footage! I think MWO skirmishes are starting to visually look like what proper Battletech fights should look like.

KINETIC CATASTROPHE

http://youtu.be/U2JMJ-RjqDs?hd=1

Download link in case the Youtube is blocked in some of your countries or you want good quality! (760 megs)
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2012, 07:10 by GoGo Yubari »

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #170 on: 23 Nov 2012, 11:30 »

Snagging this from elsewhere, maybe it's already been posted here. Some explanation of why the performance in this game is so terrible compared to what it should be and why it seems to get worse with each patch.

[spoiler]
After lots and lots of digging, apparently the developers realized that the HUD is the root of all evil.

They use an exponential amount of lots of Actionscript (sic!) to draw the HUD. They have IDENTIFIED the NEED TO ANALYZE some HOTSPOTS where they will implement C++ instead.

Well, lather me up in peanut butter and call me a donkey, I'd never...

I assume that every single item in the cockpit is drawn by an old version of Actionscript, since the new stuff from Scaleform is not supported by the Crymeariverengine yet... so imagine your armor status. Thats around... 11 hit locations, plus internal structure, making this already 22 layers (haha fuck you, the status screen is another one!)... 23 layers drawn and updated in realtime and placed on a vertex in 3d in your damn cockpit, before you haven't even calculated one single pixel from the outside environment yet.

But thank god, the movement blur and the depth of field and the bloom and whatever need to get applied first FOR EVERY SINGLE FUCKING LAYER.

Fuck you Piranha Games, fuck you with a rake. Sideways. And I hope you all gargle with some rusty semen covered nails too.

All that shit adds up of course. Lucky for us poor sods, according to one dev, they implemented just about everything they want into the cockpit, so this patch should theoretically (haha) be the worst performancewise and shit should improve soon.

So for everyone lacking reading comprehension - the engine is so terribly fucked and they will attempt to optimize it up to a point where it is still fucked beyond belief, but high end machines will finally get proper framerates in a year or whenever they get their shit together or fire their designers and hire proper coders. The same dev that dropped these nuggets of information also immediately went into defensive mode, stating that they couldn't simply do their own HUD, because thats so complex and if they create something new, that would potentially mean more bugs and crikey there is an alligator biting me leg!

Relevant quotes:

Currently it appears to be a combination of more expensive in game HUD operations the HUD uses ActionScript which appears to be causing some hot spots that are more noticeable on weaker cpus, we're working to isolate and optimize these areas and potentially also in game streaming.

The in game streaming again appears to be hurting lower end machines much more than higher end machines, we're still investigating but I wanted to post an update on what we've found so far.

Scaleform is built on top of ActionScript, and rolling your own UI these days your just as likely to have a myriad of bugs to contend with to achieve the complexity of UI modern games demand. Down the road we will be moving to newer versions of Scaleform where much work has been done to improve performance and before you ask why we don't use the latest version already the answer is CryEngine does not work with the latest version (yet).

Yeah sorry to say for now changing your settings from high to low isn't going to help much the cost of the UI isn't controlled through them nor is streaming. The reason the GPU is running so low is the more CPU bound the game the more the GPU is starved for data.

The HUD has been getting progressively more complex as each new feature comes online, the good news is the complexity is pretty much all there now, so we should have peaked in the expense of it and as mentioned are working to optimize what is there. This is part of the reason performance has degraded to this point and will not be the case beyond this.
[/spoiler]

TL;DR: Horrifically coded HUD is in fact a bunch of complicated 3D pieces that eat processor power despite looking like a flat image. This also explains why changing graphics settings makes little difference.

I really hope this shit improves soon and that PGI isn't demonstrating that they really have no idea what they're doing after promising a great deal of :awesome:

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #171 on: 24 Nov 2012, 07:04 »

Snagging this from elsewhere, maybe it's already been posted here. Some explanation of why the performance in this game is so terrible compared to what it should be and why it seems to get worse with each patch.

[spoiler]
After lots and lots of digging, apparently the developers realized that the HUD is the root of all evil.

They use an exponential amount of lots of Actionscript (sic!) to draw the HUD. They have IDENTIFIED the NEED TO ANALYZE some HOTSPOTS where they will implement C++ instead.

Well, lather me up in peanut butter and call me a donkey, I'd never...

I assume that every single item in the cockpit is drawn by an old version of Actionscript, since the new stuff from Scaleform is not supported by the Crymeariverengine yet... so imagine your armor status. Thats around... 11 hit locations, plus internal structure, making this already 22 layers (haha fuck you, the status screen is another one!)... 23 layers drawn and updated in realtime and placed on a vertex in 3d in your damn cockpit, before you haven't even calculated one single pixel from the outside environment yet.

But thank god, the movement blur and the depth of field and the bloom and whatever need to get applied first FOR EVERY SINGLE FUCKING LAYER.

Fuck you Piranha Games, fuck you with a rake. Sideways. And I hope you all gargle with some rusty semen covered nails too.

All that shit adds up of course. Lucky for us poor sods, according to one dev, they implemented just about everything they want into the cockpit, so this patch should theoretically (haha) be the worst performancewise and shit should improve soon.

So for everyone lacking reading comprehension - the engine is so terribly fucked and they will attempt to optimize it up to a point where it is still fucked beyond belief, but high end machines will finally get proper framerates in a year or whenever they get their shit together or fire their designers and hire proper coders. The same dev that dropped these nuggets of information also immediately went into defensive mode, stating that they couldn't simply do their own HUD, because thats so complex and if they create something new, that would potentially mean more bugs and crikey there is an alligator biting me leg!

Relevant quotes:

Currently it appears to be a combination of more expensive in game HUD operations the HUD uses ActionScript which appears to be causing some hot spots that are more noticeable on weaker cpus, we're working to isolate and optimize these areas and potentially also in game streaming.

The in game streaming again appears to be hurting lower end machines much more than higher end machines, we're still investigating but I wanted to post an update on what we've found so far.

Scaleform is built on top of ActionScript, and rolling your own UI these days your just as likely to have a myriad of bugs to contend with to achieve the complexity of UI modern games demand. Down the road we will be moving to newer versions of Scaleform where much work has been done to improve performance and before you ask why we don't use the latest version already the answer is CryEngine does not work with the latest version (yet).

Yeah sorry to say for now changing your settings from high to low isn't going to help much the cost of the UI isn't controlled through them nor is streaming. The reason the GPU is running so low is the more CPU bound the game the more the GPU is starved for data.

The HUD has been getting progressively more complex as each new feature comes online, the good news is the complexity is pretty much all there now, so we should have peaked in the expense of it and as mentioned are working to optimize what is there. This is part of the reason performance has degraded to this point and will not be the case beyond this.
[/spoiler]

TL;DR: Horrifically coded HUD is in fact a bunch of complicated 3D pieces that eat processor power despite looking like a flat image. This also explains why changing graphics settings makes little difference.

I really hope this shit improves soon and that PGI isn't demonstrating that they really have no idea what they're doing after promising a great deal of :awesome:

Well, that is not so cool and sort of confirms my suspicions. Hopefully they'll keep/start moving in a better direction overall, though.

In the meantime, I'm still playing and so in the tradition of "More 'Mechs, Music and Mayhem!", I've done my latest video in honor of the recently introduced Cataphract (hence the nods to the Capellan Confederation). Like these things tend to do, the 'Mech changed the face of the game for a bit as everyone flocked to use autocannons. This was good good news - because they had been somewhat neglected and thus the face of warfare in MWO mostly lacked this aspect of Battletech - and bad news, as some of them may have been somewhat overpowered (since hotfixed).

Anyway, all that autocannon fire makes for some pretty sweet footage! I think MWO skirmishes are starting to visually look like what proper Battletech fights should look like.

KINETIC CATASTROPHE

http://youtu.be/U2JMJ-RjqDs?hd=1

Just adding a download link in case the Youtube is blocked in some of your countries as it appears to be. (760 megs)
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2012, 07:10 by GoGo Yubari »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #172 on: 17 Jan 2013, 05:07 »

Currently in the process of installing this. Are you people still playing? :P

I have no idea what I'm doing, please halp.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #173 on: 17 Jan 2013, 11:41 »

Currently in the process of installing this. Are you people still playing? :P

I have no idea what I'm doing, please halp.

YES. but not as much of late as things have been busy up in my lowsec theater.

I'll evemail you tonight with login and such for my Mechwarrior group's TS server, lots of open lobbies anyone can join.

Long story short the game is bad if you are a solo player, it can be transcendant with a dedicated full team working together.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #174 on: 17 Jan 2013, 13:14 »

Private Message me on here instead if you would, I don't have an active account atm, so can't read any mails :s

Editing rather than post-spamming:

Well, I've had a few attempts at random matches, and after taking about five minutes to work out how straight lines work, I've got the steering thing pretty much down. My main issues at the moments are having no idea what all the buttons on my keyboard do, being completely shit at aiming (missiles can lock on right? :s which button fires them /o\ ), and what seems to be an unusually high latency.

Considering my laptop could manage Eve just on medium graphics in anything up to a 200 man fleet fight, yet is struggling getting over 10fps in a 16 man rendered environment, I'm left wondering if it's something on my end or theirs? Anyone know what I could do to help with this? Either way, the lag is making things a little tricky, and I'm yet to actually hit anyone  :D

Anyway, I've sifted through this thread and added Silas and Logan.  My in-game name is Kalaratiri, so feel free to add me :)
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2013, 15:27 by kalaratiri »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #175 on: 18 Jan 2013, 00:33 »

They are attempting to lower specs needed for slower systems but... it's cryengine 3 so don't get your hopes up.

2/3 of the missiles lock on, the rest are dumb fire

Before you start a match go to options and you can see the key assignments, that should help!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #176 on: 18 Jan 2013, 13:54 »

If you can stand the other residents, FHC is my go-to place for MWO stuff these days. Active players, discussion of game and ways to optimize it for lower end computers, fitting, all that jazz. If you're having framerate problems, I would highly recommend looking up one of the optimizations for lower specs.

Welcome to MWO. Be prepared for levels of PGI derp approaching  :psyccp:

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #177 on: 18 Jan 2013, 14:23 »

If you can stand the other residents, FHC is my go-to place for MWO stuff these days. Active players, discussion of game and ways to optimize it for lower end computers, fitting, all that jazz. If you're having framerate problems, I would highly recommend looking up one of the optimizations for lower specs.

Welcome to MWO. Be prepared for levels of PGI derp approaching  :psyccp:

I'll take a look at FHC, shouldn't be too much of a strain as I actually find most of the threads there hilarious. The Syndicate and Lowsec ones are particularly great. Thanks for the hint :)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]