Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Slavers hunt by jumping high in the air and coming down on their prey from above?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: MechWarrior MMO  (Read 17390 times)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: MechWarrior MMO
« Reply #15 on: 01 Nov 2011, 05:20 »

It's not like travel is gonna be a feature. It'll be more like World of Tanks than Eve.

The time chosen (3049) is definitely interesting and since it seems players won't be playing the Clans, it looks like it might have a big PvE component.  Actually... where does it say anything about PvP? Hmm.

No melee combat and only 3 'Mechs listed currently? That's a bit WTF, too. At least they can keep on adding 'Mechs, but the initial number being 3 seems to suggest that we aren't going to be seeing a large amount... which would be disappointing.

Overall feelings about MWO? About bloody time.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 01 Nov 2011, 07:08 »

Melee combat in Mechwarrior is ramming or Death From Above (bar silly things like the hatchman), and in 3049, did anyone have jump jets?  Jenner maybe.  Honestly I've never played with pre-clan tech. 

And I would say its almost certain there will be more mechs when they launch.  Maybe not many, because there aren't that many mechs offically in the 3049 time frame last I checked.  But there will be enough I think.

What I wonder is if they will add the LAM mechs to this, considering they are now offical again, and have new designs that won't get they sued again.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 01 Nov 2011, 08:07 »

Melee combat in Mechwarrior is ramming or Death From Above (bar silly things like the hatchman), and in 3049, did anyone have jump jets?  Jenner maybe.  Honestly I've never played with pre-clan tech. 

And I would say its almost certain there will be more mechs when they launch.  Maybe not many, because there aren't that many mechs offically in the 3049 time frame last I checked.  But there will be enough I think.

Plenty of 'Mechs had jump jets in and pre-'49! Spider, Stinger, Wasp, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Thunderbolt, Catapult, ... to name a few. And yeah, there's quite enough 'Mechs in general in there as well. Plus all the variants of each.

Punching and (especially) kicking is a big part of the game, too.

But be all that as it may.. I am still stoked to see a Battletech sim online again. I say again because there was that EA Battletech game in 2001 with galaxy conquering gameplay that was in Beta, but got pulled before it got released.... *knocks on wood*

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #18 on: 01 Nov 2011, 08:18 »

Who had better have Mad Cats.

I think you mean Timber Wolf Quiaff?

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #19 on: 01 Nov 2011, 08:19 »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 01 Nov 2011, 08:19 »

Anyone know where I can find any lore on this or if the previous games exist anywhere in a form that can be played on a Windows 7 machine? I know roughly nothing about it, but you guys have managed to pique my curiousity.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #21 on: 01 Nov 2011, 08:23 »

Piranha President Russ Bullock insist this is going to be a proper MechWarrior game in the tradition of MechWarrior 2 through 4, not a successor to the Xbox action game Mech Assault

Love!

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #22 on: 01 Nov 2011, 08:25 »

Anyone know where I can find any lore on this or if the previous games exist anywhere in a form that can be played on a Windows 7 machine? I know roughly nothing about it, but you guys have managed to pique my curiousity.

http://www.jadefalconclan.com/smf/battletech_universe_sourcebooks/battletech_universe_sourcebooks_22.0.html

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 01 Nov 2011, 08:26 »

http://www.jadefalconclan.com/smf/battletech_universe_sourcebooks/battletech_universe_sourcebooks_22.0.html

sweet...  aaugh! blocked at work. I'll have to take a look at it when I get home.  :cry:

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #24 on: 01 Nov 2011, 08:27 »

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #25 on: 01 Nov 2011, 08:32 »

“We want to make gameplay be less about an arms race, where you start in a light Mech but you really want to get into an assault Mech, because it’s the best thing there is

Pfft.  Give me a Shadowcat and I'll rule the Galaxy.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 01 Nov 2011, 11:52 »

Who had better have Mad Cats.

I think you mean Timber Wolf Quiaff?

Well I wasn't a very good Clanner.  I used contractions and hung out with the aerospace pilots too much.

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #27 on: 01 Nov 2011, 12:21 »

There are 55 mechs listed in the 3025 technical manual, not including the LAMs or any Star League Lostech designs. Jump jets are fairly common. . .it looks like the heaviest machine so equipped is the 80 ton Victor.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #28 on: 01 Nov 2011, 12:30 »

For lore, the basic in-universe guide is available free. They used to have the old house handbooks on there too, but those have disappeared since they just put up a new site, though supposedly they'll be back once they're finished building it.

For games, Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, the last vidya, is also free on the intertubes. There's also Mechwarrior: Living Legends, a fan mod of Crysis: Warhead if you want to play online.

Saikoyu: Hanging out with aerospace pilots? You sure you're not a Snow Raven?

Lydia: It's 82 in TRO 3039. Also available in that timeframe are the 85-ton Crockett, and 90-ton Highlander and Emperor. And the 100-ton Marauder II, but that's a Wolf's Dragoons mech, and they are silly. Not that any of those are common models.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2011, 12:43 by Z.Sinraali »
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #29 on: 01 Nov 2011, 13:10 »

Don't hate on the Dragoons  :cry:  Anyone interested in a Merc/pirate guild?   The big merc groups were always more interesting than the houses or clans.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12