Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The last time someone attacked the Jovians, it was the Amarr, at Vak'atioth, and the Amarr fleet was crushed?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: WARHAMMURZ! (table breakage possible)  (Read 24626 times)

Hamish Grayson

Re: WARHAMMURZ! (table breakage possible)
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2011, 20:26 »

Do you have to paint them yourself or can you buy them pre-painted?   

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2011, 20:39 »

Pictures! Doesn't anyone have pictures?!
I linked to my E:A Guard & Ork project threads.  These images are about 6 years old in some cases.

Since greatly expanded  :!:

No longer in my possession :(

Never a legal army  :twisted:

Do you have to paint them yourself or can you buy them pre-painted?   

Bought new, you paint them yourself.  However it is possible to buy fully painted armies on ebay.  Before doing that it is good to learn how to play, so I would suggest finding someone who is willing to teach you and has an army or two of their own.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #17 on: 27 Oct 2011, 05:10 »

Currently in possesion of a nearly-2000 points High Elf army, though only a couple regiments are painted so far, I've way to much other stuff to do, sadly. But, sol ong as I own it and have the brushes and paint and rulebooks and so on, I'm good.

If I ever get a 40k army, it will be Eldar. Then it's only a matter of learning the proper tactics for how to take down Marines, becasue given the nubmer of folks I've seen who has SM armies as opposed to anything else, I suspect I'll be fighting them more than anything else.

Also, whoever trully believe that the 40k universe has 'good guys' is GRAVELY missinformed, or delusional.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2011, 08:02 »

If I ever get a 40k army, it will be Eldar. Then it's only a matter of learning the proper tactics for how to take down Marines, becasue given the nubmer of folks I've seen who has SM armies as opposed to anything else, I suspect I'll be fighting them more than anything else.

Oh indeed, indeed. GW has been whoring the shit out of their Marine armies in both fluff (notice they never lose anymore?) and performance (many SM armies have more special abilities than a fucking Chaos army.) Current math has Space Marines as about 65-70% of all armies in existence - all other types of armies are squished into that leftover 30-35%.

When I went down to Games Workshop a few days ago to get supplies, the poor GW guy's eyes *lit up* when I said I played Night Lords. He was apparently quite used to seeing the most faithful servants of the Emperor getting into weekly beatups with each other, and found the thought of Space Marines maybe fighting Chaos once in a while QUITE EXCITING.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #19 on: 27 Oct 2011, 08:10 »

Bah. You will be crushed by the Sons of Russ!

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #20 on: 27 Oct 2011, 08:39 »

A fellow Night Lord!
Although my CSM army got shelved after the last Chaos Codex (Bring back the Legions ffs!) I still play, albeit my playtime/painting time has shrunken due to work.

I started up an Imperial guard army that has its base in a TT Dark Heresy campaign of all things.
There are pictures of the first batch of models I painted on a HDD somewhere. I'll look around and post when I find them.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 27 Oct 2011, 08:42 »

Bah. You will be crushed by the Long Fangs while the rest of the Sons of Russ stand around!

fyp

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2011, 10:09 »

Like it's a Space Marine players' fault he picked the best army. :/
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2011, 12:13 »

Just finished my 8th berzerker. The one with the non-faded metallics (you can kinda tell the other 7 were painted a decade ago.)

Next up: Bloodletters.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2011, 12:44 »

Mmm... this might be enough to get me to dig out my old armies. Started playing back in 3rd ed, and then a little for 4th, have no idea how the rules or codexes have changed since then. Got my original marines, my Eldar, and my largely-unassembled chaos. Will put up pics when I get the chance.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2011, 09:01 »

It IS in fact, his fault, for selecting the most user-friendly, over-hyped collection of glorified requires-no-real-tactics-IWIN-button choirboys available. Warhammer Fantasy has, what, 12, 13 factions? Warhammer 40k has 11, I think. That's 10 other factions beyond Space Marines (22-23 if you don't care if it's Fantasy or 40K your playing) and frankly, imho Daemon hunters do the whole SM thing and does it 10-times better and Imperial Guard are far more heroic and glorious than SM will ever be. Personally I'm an Eldar/Tau/SOB/IG player, in that order, and I think we can argue to the end of days what faction is cooler or 'better' than the other.

I don't like SM's, and the fact they are the main heroes/protagonists/center of story in nearly every WH40K game available is rather idiotic, given the wide selection of other options. Tell me the odds a game set primarely from, say, an Eldar view-point and having a campaign based on their exploits against their enemies (including the Imperium/SM's) will be popular/much played/not flopp horribly.

Point being, oppinion waries very much, your entitled to yours; that don't mean I won't disagree or argue forever against it if I feel so inclined.

« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2011, 09:11 by BloodBird »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #26 on: 28 Oct 2011, 10:15 »

It IS in fact, his fault, for selecting the most user-friendly, over-hyped collection of glorified requires-no-real-tactics-IWIN-button choirboys available. Warhammer Fantasy has, what, 12, 13 factions? Warhammer 40k has 11, I think. That's 10 other factions beyond Space Marines (22-23 if you don't care if it's Fantasy or 40K your playing) and frankly, imho Daemon hunters do the whole SM thing and does it 10-times better and Imperial Guard are far more heroic and glorious than SM will ever be. Personally I'm an Eldar/Tau/SOB/IG player, in that order, and I think we can argue to the end of days what faction is cooler or 'better' than the other.

I don't like SM's, and the fact they are the main heroes/protagonists/center of story in nearly every WH40K game available is rather idiotic, given the wide selection of other options. Tell me the odds a game set primarely from, say, an Eldar view-point and having a campaign based on their exploits against their enemies (including the Imperium/SM's) will be popular/much played/not flopp horribly.

Point being, oppinion waries very much, your entitled to yours; that don't mean I won't disagree or argue forever against it if I feel so inclined.

Well, that was a joking statement on my part, but I suppose if we want to turn it into a srsbzns debate, we can do that too.

1). There are no protagonists in 40k. No matter what anyone says, anywhere.

2). User friendly does not suggest inherent value, tactically or otherwise. If you play vanilla Space Marines, you're actually putting yourself at a disadvantage in many situations. I don't think I need to provide anecdotes, but for the sake of argument, if you didn't anticipate a lot of high-strength fire and brought your marines in the typical "two tacs in rhinos" loadout, you're gonna burn.

3). There is no such thing as a perfect army. Ergo, even the vanilla SM player has to take at least an iota of strategic thought into account if he wants to make a useful army.

4). A manicured army doesn't ensure success. A vanilla SM player running into battle head-long against a DE army, or going toe-to-toe with an Ork hoard, has fucked up his tactics and will lose to a superior strategist. In fact, ALL armies will be rolled by a superior strategist in most circumstances, barring variables attributable to random luck or other unknowns.

5). Just because you don't like the lore behind Space Marines, doesn't discredit it. I think Eldar are a ridiculous combination of overplayed elven aloofness and technobabble, doesn't mean someone else doesn't see value in it. Or as you put it, "we're entitled to our opinions."
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 28 Oct 2011, 12:28 »

ImpGuard army here... started playing when they turned the Guards from the universe's buttmonkeys into gods of armored warfare, and suddenly overwhelming them with the 41st-millenium equivalent of T-34s and flakpanzers became possible.

Sadly, my :RLisk: issue has been keeping my army at about 200 points (I was aiming for a 500-point army to start), and I don't see myself finishing it at this point.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 Oct 2011, 14:27 »

The last time I played Warty Forty the marines where still in Womble armour and the Squats where still around. I was, in fact, putting together a squat army. These days my interaction with Warhampster is mainly via playing in a Dark Heresy campaign.

More recently I get my tabletop wargames fix in other ways, mainly via Full Thrust. However, I've recently picked up a unit of the 95th rifles from Flintloque
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
These images are of a slightly different regiment, but you get the idea.

And, when I can find an opponent, I'll probably pick up some Ferach Elves
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

to match them against.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2011, 14:31 by Arnulf Ogunkoya »
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #29 on: 28 Oct 2011, 15:00 »

Somehow Esna, I am totally not surprised that you are a Guard Army player.

I've looked at the books and figures, and while I kinda like the universe, I decided that computer games would be taking my paycheck.  That and I can't paint worth a damn.  But it keeps pecking at me. 

But if I did, Eldar, Tau, Imp Guard, and Space Wolves, assuming that I could still play some sort of devient Imp Guard like you used to be able to do under one of the rules.  Space Wolves are probably right after Eldar due to lore, and the fact that they are Vikings in space power armor.  And if you are going to be a rampaging hoard, you might as well do it properly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14