Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 1st Praetorian Guard is an Amarrian Imperial Navy-affiliated Special Operations unit? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: SWTOR: Will/how will you play?  (Read 17601 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

Re: SWTOR: Will/how will you play?
« Reply #30 on: 15 Oct 2011, 09:18 »

I think your girlfriend is a smart cookie. Wait til the reviews come out and you get a chance to demo it before spending your money on it. ^^

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #31 on: 15 Oct 2011, 10:32 »

I've pre-ordered it. The main reason I want to play it is because I love Star Wars. To me it looks fairly cool and coupled with my overall SW greekness, sure I'll give it a go. I doubt it will replace EVE, but it does look like it has a vibrant and at this point eager RP community. So I think it will be worth a shot just for that.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2011, 14:19 »

I'd like to thank averyone who offered good arguments for/against SWTOR.

I'd like to slap all that go 'it's crap don't buy it' with no arguments for why this is; I am not interested in your personal oppinions because mine differs. If you want to convince me otherwise offer good ARGUMENTS.

As for the game itself I pre-ordred it with my friends to give it a good, honest try an see for myself.

I disliked, and still dislike, WoW. I still got an account and played it for a good while because, while I have a list of issues about it long as day I've also a shorter list of the pro's. By the coming of Cata the list of pros was so short there was no more point and thus, I left. SWTOR will be no different. EVE is no different - when/if the list of cons outweight the pros I will be leaving EVE as well. That it seems entierly unlikely to happen is a huge plus.

Back to SWTOR. I will play Republic. I wil roll a trooper (clone-trooper copy or whatever the complainers want to call it) and I will likely enjoy, so very, very much, gunning down all the 'I'm so evil look at me being a nasty sith-lord, trololololololol' kiddies and all their pretentious friends, and relatives, and house-hold animals. I predict and fully expect the Republic side to outnumbered atl 2:1 so I'll have plenty of enemies. Fun times, I hope.

I don't care if the graphics is cartoonish. So was WoW. WoW worked great in that regard. I don't care for all the complaints about game-design being to much this, or that, or whatever. I'm a SW fan, and the Old republic time-period is enjoyable to me. I'll offer the pitiful sum they want for the game and a couple months and maybe, if they made a really great game that I enjoy, the Sith-kiddies will all die. If not... well, there is allways EVE, and plenty of good non-MMO games. I honestly don't get why people bitch so much about this and convince themselves that, because the whiners don't like it, they won't either. If you really wanted to? Then try it. Find out. Decide for yourself.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #33 on: 15 Oct 2011, 17:28 »

Funny how the ones gung-ho about playing republic side resort to calling people who want to play the sith side as 'kiddies' and other lovely terms. I suggest looking in the mirror and growing up a bit :roll:

Playing Sith Empire for me it's not about being a 'bad ass' or 'leet'. I just find the Sith lore in the Star Wars Universe more interesting, compelling. I find characters like Exar Kun and Darth Caedus (aka Jacen Solo) more appealing than the average good guys. Hell even one of the all loved good guys, Luke, dips into the dark side at one point. I hope in SWTOR there's some nice storylines or plot hooks about history of the Sith Empire. If ti's gonna be a 'Evil dudes being evil and doing evil things  for the sake of evil' I'll be disappointed.

Yeah, sure there will probably be those guys you mentioned - on both sides - but I'd appreciate not to blanket prejudice everyone.

As for gameplay, yeah it looks like WoW in SW setting, I don't mind. It gives me an opportunity to play something with my RL mates who don't care for EVE and we all share a soft spot to SW and especially to the Old Republic setting. We agreed as group to go play Sith because we think the stories about them are pretty awesome and the lore is cool.

I was pretty unbiased for going one side or another and maybe looking up a few dudes up from EVE to play with in addition to my RL mates -  be it republic or sith empire. This thread has convinced me to not do that.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 15 Oct 2011, 17:42 »

I'll probably trial it (assuming they let you), and then see if space combat is at all interesting. Frankly, the traditional "run your avatar around and spam specials" style of gameplay just doesn't appear to me all that much.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 15 Oct 2011, 22:50 »

What bothers me with the sith lore, as things stand, is the... blood-raider like ideology. It's about gaining power at any cost, to anyone or anything else, for selfish, personal reasons and desires. You step on others, to become more powerful, to more easilly step on others.

The ideological alternative is the Jedi - become powerful for the sake of everyone's service and protection, basically. It's alot more fleshed out and detailed for both of these, but this is basically it.

What was cool and nice about stories like Kun and Skywalker (father and son, as it is) was that both started out as Jedi. Exar Kun was a Jedi who fell and became DARK JEDI - there is a world of difference between him and the Sith. Luke's drop to Dark side was also impressive in that he reverted back to non-dark alignment and could trully say 'you know what Sith guy? I've been there, done that, and it was... boring."

Luke's father was redeemed to... eventually. In between he was perhaps the most tragic character in all of SW lore.

In short - Dark Jedi is 'acceptably cool' and the dynamic between them and yuor common Jedi works well, I think. Not so well for Sith. I get the impression most people who play Sith do so for the same reasons people play disorder in Warhammer and pirates in EVE - the desire to be a 'badass' - ofthen seen to be hand in hand with being a 'bad guy' - WoW had a simmilar thing with Horde, but in a slightly different way, and honestly bad game-balance from Blizz had a hand in that too.

So ultimately, I don't like Sith, far as lore go. As I said, I fully predict Sith Empire to be the by far numerially dominant faction and for the badass-seekers to chose them. Because being a 'good guy' is not cool enough. The combined effect of this is, I fully expect that fighting them will be extreely fun. Or so I hope. It's all conjecture at this time.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #36 on: 16 Oct 2011, 04:43 »

Funny how the ones gung-ho about playing republic side resort to calling people who want to play the sith side as 'kiddies' and other lovely terms. I suggest looking in the mirror and growing up a bit :roll:

Ohh even if I never said such a thing myself, do not take it that personnally. I am pretty sure these remarks are not targeting the audience here...

We all have in mind the kid archetype that wants to play sith warrior because its cool and all. I am myself more or less convinced we will find most of them in the sith warrior class. That does not mean that every sith is a trolololol little twit.  :roll:

If ti's gonna be a 'Evil dudes being evil and doing evil things  for the sake of evil' I'll be disappointed.

Knowing Bioware, I am afraid it might well be the case. But at the same time I have had some hints from a friend playing the beta as a Sith inquisitor, and its not that bad (playing someone of an old lineage), though the story often does not make any sense (Why am I here ? Why am I doing that ? What is the purpose of all of this ? Wtf is going on ?). Also of course, you have to take in account that class driven storylines are very, very short. 95% of the quests are dumb and tasteless secondary quests that makes you run all around the planet to kill x mobs.

I'll probably trial it (assuming they let you), and then see if space combat is at all interesting. Frankly, the traditional "run your avatar around and spam specials" style of gameplay just doesn't appear to me all that much.

The space part is a rail shooter minigame at the moment (much like Starfox). May be expanded after the release in some add on, especially for "guild ships".
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 04:45 by Lyn Farel »

Crucifire

« Reply #37 on: 16 Oct 2011, 10:59 »

The space part is a rail shooter minigame at the moment (much like Starfox). May be expanded after the release in some add on, especially for "guild ships".
It reminds me a lot of that quirky old game Rebel Assault.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #38 on: 16 Oct 2011, 11:23 »

I'm not sure if countering useless overgeneralizations with more useless overgeneralizations is particularly useful.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #39 on: 16 Oct 2011, 11:45 »

I'm not sure if countering useless overgeneralizations with more useless overgeneralizations is particularly useful.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 17 Oct 2011, 14:12 »

Apparently I got some disturbing news confirmed by several of my accointances playing the beta, and it would seem that both factions can not see each other on most of the planets, as if they were in an instance for each faction. It is the case for PVE servers, but also for PVP servers in their current state on the beta, and nothing indicates that it will change.

It would seem that factions would be able to see each other only on pvp dedicated planets (4 of them) : Alderaan (full pvp), Tatooine/Hoth (warzones), and Illum (RvR). Unsure how it will be for pve servers on these planets though.

I am looking to know how you can cancel a pre order... Thats fucking opaque.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #41 on: 17 Oct 2011, 14:26 »

Does it strike you as odd that the factions are fighting over two of the most useless, barren planets in their galaxy? xD

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #42 on: 17 Oct 2011, 15:22 »

I would have preferred KOTOR 3 rather than some half-assed circa 2003 "MMO."

Or a straight remake of X-Wing. Wait, make that TIE Fighter.

But, hey, I'm sure it makes commercial sense to keep making the same tedious WoW clone over and over again.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 17 Oct 2011, 22:34 »

mmmh, Tie-fighter remake. I'd love that because it would be a twitch-shooter AND set in the SW universe all at the same time. I loved Freelancer for being a twitch shooter and when I were really young I loved what little action I got in TIE fighter more than X-Wing, if only because I actually got to play a fully working version of the former xD

And ofc, given how awesome a TIE-fighter re-make would be, it's never going to happen.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2011, 00:54 by BloodBird »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 17 Oct 2011, 22:38 »

Apparently I got some disturbing news confirmed by several of my accointances playing the beta, and it would seem that both factions can not see each other on most of the planets, as if they were in an instance for each faction. It is the case for PVE servers, but also for PVP servers in their current state on the beta, and nothing indicates that it will change.

It would seem that factions would be able to see each other only on pvp dedicated planets (4 of them) : Alderaan (full pvp), Tatooine/Hoth (warzones), and Illum (RvR). Unsure how it will be for pve servers on these planets though.

I am looking to know how you can cancel a pre order... Thats fucking opaque.

Grim news indeed, if true. I'm assuming here that these beta testers don't care to recieve the penalties for breaking their 'don't fucking talk to people about the game's gameplay or anything' part of thier beta-testing clause. As far as I'm aware none of the beta testers are allowed to speak about any of the game's features or anything. Are you sure your sources are accurate?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10