Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that wooden furniture is very expensive in space? (p. 89)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution  (Read 16071 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
« Reply #30 on: 25 Aug 2011, 17:59 »

Sarif industries needs to teach its models how to throw a forward pass.  That was awful.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2011, 18:09 »

Well... I'm a mission and a half in, and I'm loving it. Every bit of it. It's Deus freakin' Ex. My only eeeeeh thing is that the animations while talking are a little too fidgety and twitchy, but otherwise it's fine.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 25 Aug 2011, 19:36 »

... seriously, I just can't get why people bother buying an FPS for consoles when it's got a PC version.

Five-year-old computer. Cannot afford to upgrade; plan on saving up to make the next one really worth it, once income allows for saving.

Huuuuuuge household living room TV screen. Teeny-tiny computer screen. Do not have computer-link rights to TV screen, but do have PS3 hooked up.

Comparatively fine-tuned foot control, walk/run on a single stick with no pesky [shift]. Helps minimally with aim, but helps the feel of the thing immensely. Also good for easing around corners in first-person.

Have actually become something resembling a good shot w/ PS3 controls. Never play a game w/ auto-aim turned on anymore.

Easier to share experience w/ wife if not wholly wrapped in own little world.

Doesn't give me carpal tunnel near as fast.

(Still haven't gotten game. Need infusion of cash, first.)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 26 Aug 2011, 00:55 »

Its a dark future filled with cybernetics, transhumanist politics and fragile cardboard boxes....mostly fragile cardboard boxes.

Adam Jensen is kinda over the top. Ive already gotten two voicemails from friends imitating his voice.  He's just a tad too hokey and stero-typical.  His chin is insanely pointed.  Likely an evolutionary adaptation designed to allow him to open all the cardboard boxes without a set of boxcutters.

Also....my god the graphics for the dialogue are awful.  Makes the game look extremely dated, tbh.

Other than that, seems ok so far.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2011, 01:01 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:31 »

Other than that, seems ok so far.

Says the man who seemed surprised that 2am had rolled around so fast...

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #35 on: 26 Aug 2011, 11:53 »

Love this game.

For a lot of reasons.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 26 Aug 2011, 19:14 »

I wrote a term paper on the transhumanism vs. bioconservative debate last year, so it's making me quite giddy.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 26 Aug 2011, 20:06 »

Okay, eight hours in so far. (Possibly almost nine, Steam counts oddly)

This is definitely the game I've been waiting for. It's just the perfect mix of challenging and enjoyable, for me. All possible things you want to do has any number of ways you can do it. You could run and gun through the entire game if you wanted, I'm sure. Still, anyone who does that loses out on what Deus Ex really shines at. Infiltration and misdirection, and using the environment to your advantage.

I managed to sneak past some security and got into a vent. That let me get into a room where I hacked a computer which allowed me to take control of the turret in the main room outside. Switching it's IFF over, I then snuck into said room and with a grunt and a heave I picked up the turret and turned it around. After that, I calmly set off the alarm and ducked behind cover and watched as the security guards ran into the room and got shredded. I may or may not have giggled.

This was one of four ways I spotted that would get me past that particular hurdle and I chose this one for it's entertainment value. I could have bypassed all of that or I could have blocked off the security room with a large vending machine which'd let me set off the security camera alarm without having to deal with the security guards. A lot of options, for almost all problems.

Go buy this game. Even if you don't like Deus Ex (which makes you a bit of a tit), we should all support this kind of game development. Love and care oozes out of every quality filled pore of this game and there's just not enough 'bad' in it to quell any enjoyment I have. I've even stopped noticing the conversation animations. Awesomeness incarnate and most certainly a true Deus Ex game unlike others we shall not mention here.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 27 Aug 2011, 11:40 »

Okay... bossfights in this game can be nigh freakin' impossible if you don't come well prepared. Been getting my bullet-riddled and charbroiled-by-electricity ass handed to me fairly consistently by one of the bosses. I think I've figured the fight out, though. It'll be hard to pull off without certain augs I've now realized are very valuable, but I'll manage, I think.

Don't fall into the same trap I did. Keep yourself well stocked and don't let yourself run low on useful stuff like painkillers, ammo and so on. There's usually enough ammo/stuff available during the bossfight itself, but if you've specialized yourself  in various ways, the supplies may not be all that useful to your particular 'build' and preference. I've basically found that my personal build and preference is almost overpowered for the average gameplay, but suffers when facing the bosses.

It speaks well for the game, though, that I actually grin and enjoy the fact that you can gimp yourself for certain encounters and so on. It makes things very challenging, sure, but it also makes it so much more fun.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #39 on: 27 Aug 2011, 12:32 »

Apart from stocking well on pills and bullets, utilize your surroundings. My sneaky hacker without so much as basic dermal aug got it's ass handed to it mercilessly in the first boss fight in full frontal assault. Tossed poison gas and explosive canisters at the bastard and problem solved. Direct attack is rarely the best solution.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #40 on: 27 Aug 2011, 13:18 »

My question is...when you take out a guard, why doesn't anyone check in on him when he disappears?

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #41 on: 27 Aug 2011, 17:58 »

Alright, blaming all you fuckers when I hate this game and rage about having wasted $50.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 27 Aug 2011, 18:00 »

Alright, blaming all you fuckers when I hate this game and rage about having wasted $50.

I will await your adoration and endless worship for having been party to convincing you to buy this glorious game.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #43 on: 27 Aug 2011, 18:57 »

I've only put in about 10 hours of play with DX:HR so far, getting through the first two missions and some of the big side tasks around Detroit, but I decided to re-start after bumping the difficulty up to hard.  Consequently, I made some difference choices in play style, conversations, and augmentations in the process.  Discovering of the consequences of those choices in just those first few hours of the game has been really enjoyable.  There are a lot of layers here, and the ambiguous (or at least unquantified) depiction of the ethics and morality of Adam's decisions is refreshing.  Highly recommended.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 27 Aug 2011, 22:15 »

Welp... finished it. Fuck me what a ride that was. If you'll excuse me, I have to start playthrough number two. This time, I'll unfuck some of my more grievous fuckups. This game is definitely worth every single penny and I'm going to replay this once for every ending. Damn this is a sexy game.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11