Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution  (Read 16072 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2011, 12:42 »

It's a hard game with very little in the way of mercy for fuck-ups, and today it requires a certain amount of forgiveness for gameplay/graphics/design features that might not be tolerated in today's games.

... and yet I still insist on playing it on "Realistic" difficulty. Cyberpunk meets "Rainbow Six!" Eeee!

My main problems with DE1 have more to do with the (lack of) enemy AI.

I love tactical bastardy, and about the high point of recent FPS for me is the ability to snipe some poor chap through the gut in Far Cry 2 and then pick off two or three of his friends one by one as they emerge from cover to try and rescue his luckless, quickly-bleeding ass. Admittedly, the visceral, horrifying cruelty of Far Cry 2 is a rare and beautiful thing, perhaps because it is this most peculiar creature: an unambiguously anti-war FPS.

While you can tranq-dart people in DE1, your problems in hitting the idiots will have nothing to do with cover or intelligent maneuvering and everything to do with the fact that they will run right at you with no caution at all, then take advantage of their instantaneous turning and acceleration to make a mockery of your attempts to place a precise shot. Add to this the (mostly) inefficient weaponry and clunky control, and you've got yourself a party.

And yet, I love the game....

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2011, 23:39 »

I pre-ordered at the last minute, but I'm not going to play HR until I've played the first game.

Because I had stupid parents who believed video games were horrible and responsible for all the bad things in the world (hell, my mother though Descent 2 was too violent for me to be playing), I grew up pretty sheltered from video games outside of the occasional play at a friend's house, or gameboy games (which somehow didn't cause a problem?) until I was in high school, and even then didn't really get to branch out until college. So I haven't even played the first one yet. ._.

If there is one thing about human history that pisses me off to no end it's this kind of hypocritical idiocy right here, it's evident in 'our' generation, it was evident in our parent's generation, has been for millenia and I'm quietly waiting to see when I've finally 'grown up' and fuck up along the same line as the previous generation.

For my old folks, it was comic books and stuff like that. The workings of the devils, etc etc. Then to us it was computer-games... how dare those filthy game designers made software that will eat our children's souls! :evil:

Some of this BS is still visible in some games, though I fear in some combo with other, somewhat bizzare worries. For instance, in Fallout 3 and F:NV, you can do and be many, many things... including a cannibalizing, grave-robbing, a-moral mass-murdering slaver who pushes and uses drugs and routinely steals and destroys personal property, and so on. You can kill pretty much anyone and anything, from insects to plants to animals to monsters to humans of all ages...

... except children. In this long, long list of potential offenses they chose to go with 'no, ofc you can't kill that guy! He's only 12! Think of the children for god's sake!' ... right. I just killed, robbed and dismembered every person in the district but he automatically get's to walk off due to age. I fail to see the logic, to be honest.

As for Deus Ex, the only thing that annoys me about it is that roughly my entire corp will vanish from the face of the cluster for weeks getting this game beat, or so it seems at this point. I should prob. get it too, but I would want to get and beat the others first - I got to play for about an hour of the first game, and it was pretty good.

Desiderya

« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2011, 08:05 »

Atmosphere and Immersion were the key to Dx1 in my eyes. Just read everything you can find, from books over newspapers to private emails. :)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2011, 09:08 »

I'm really enjoying this.

Note: When was the last time you played a game off the shelf where a single bullet was this powerful against both the enemies and you?

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #19 on: 24 Aug 2011, 09:52 »

Picked it up last night, still finishing off some other games before smash this. I picked it up for the PS3. Anyone know of a difference from the PC version to the PS3?

Desiderya

« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2011, 10:09 »

Damn you all. You made me pre-order it, too. :)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2011, 10:32 »

Picked it up last night, still finishing off some other games before smash this. I picked it up for the PS3. Anyone know of a difference from the PC version to the PS3?

Other than inferior graphics blahblahblah, long loading times was reported on console.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2011, 11:07 »

And far inferior control schemes.

... seriously, I just can't get why people bother buying an FPS for consoles when it's got a PC version.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #23 on: 24 Aug 2011, 11:17 »

And far inferior control schemes.

... seriously, I just can't get why people bother buying an FPS for consoles when it's got a PC version.

It was a choice between playing it on the monitor or my 40 something inch plasma. Yes I could setup my PC to use the tv, but, Then I would take the TV and pc away from my GF. So, she can have the PC while I play playstation on my massive TV :)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2011, 15:54 »

Bloodbird: It's probably worth pointing out that in my particular case my parents were at least partially justified in worrying about the effect "violence" in games might have on my behavior, given the situation I was dealing with in school at the time - tl;dr is that I was a constant victim of bullying, and the administration were actually out to get me (making excuses to get me in trouble, lying to my parents about things, ignoring reports of harassment and stuff, etc.) and that as a result I was in a bad enough mental state at that place that access to weapons and/or explosives could've easily resulted in another Columbine. I'm not joking when I say that either - I'm completely serious.

That said, the reactions were often very over the top even given that situation (Descent 2 being the best example), and video games - "violent" or not - were generally my release valve for all the stress I was dealing with at school due to a lack of friends I could talk to about stuff. Ironically, my parents' knee-jerk reactions tended to make things worse by not allowing me to process all that crap in a safe and controlled fashion that I was comfortable with.

Neither of them understood the appeal of video games to me, and it's partly why I never had a proper computer of my own (nor many games to play on it) until high school. Hence me never having been exposed to a lot of things like Deus Ex or Starcraft until comparatively late.

Anyway, moving on... played a little last night. Controls (PC, so mouse/kb) feel a little klunky to me during combat, particularly aiming, in comparison to games with similar control styles (mostly ME/ME2) - might just be a sensitivity issue though, so vOv... having fun so far though. :D
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 25 Aug 2011, 00:29 »

Here's my thoughts after playing 4 hours:

- It is awesome.
- The narrative is well written. I can tell the writers did research not only into the previous games but into philosophy, conspiracy theory, and cultural semiotics.
- The mise-en-scene (the story world) is well put together and very detailed.
- The voice acting is mostly good. Patchy in places.
- The gameplay feels kind of like Mass Effect at times, but that's not a bad thing. At other times, it's still Deus Ex.
- Michael McCann (the composer) is a genius.
- DX11 makes everything very pretty.
- It runs great with maxed settings and MLAA enabled on my HD 6850 (which is the benchmarked equivalent in speed to a GTX 460).

The bad:

- You can easily tell that the PC version is a port from a game that was made ground-up for consoles.
- The UI for the PC is clunky in some places like the inventory.
- The idle animations while characters are talking are pretty fail for modern day animation technology.
- The stealth system is not that robust. This was the biggest downer. If an enemy sees you even for a split-second, it will trigger the alarmed state for all guards. This is really stupid as ideally there should be a beat of about 1-2 seconds before they can communicate with anyone. It makes stealth takedowns kind of hard since you can only ever approach from behind, not from around a corner.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 25 Aug 2011, 15:11 »

Sarif Industries. Something to wet your whistle while counting down the minutes until the Europe release, boys and girls.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #27 on: 25 Aug 2011, 15:24 »

Holy shit is that some anti-transhumanism?
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 25 Aug 2011, 15:27 »

Indeed it is. Shit could have been shot in Eve.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #29 on: 25 Aug 2011, 16:21 »

Well, that's what the game is about.

All of it.  8)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11