Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Hak'len (AKA Kresh liquor) is toxic to non-Caldari?

Author Topic: Downplaying democracy - The "blank canvas" of Fed RP  (Read 823 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Gallente_(NPCs)

This 'article' is interesting because it has plenty of lore information about the GalFed from a very different perspective than we've seen before. The emphasis isn't on democratic politics but on "human nature". It says there how the government "aims to take a light touch on people's lives", which sort of points out how there's quite possibly a disconnect between the average Gallentean and the Federation itself.

Anyway, that Abraxas-style interpretation of the Fed and the lack of emphasis on politics/government is what makes me enjoy RPing Gallente; it is a "blank canvas" for worldbuilding and creative ideas. With Caldari PF/RP for example, it's all very homogeneous and monolithic, "This is this, that is that". Which is fine, not knocking it. Having a consolidated list of fictional data has its own attractions, even to me, and inversely the "build what you please" thing in the Fed can be wishy-washy for those who prefer infodumps.

In fact...reading through the FP...we've long had a problem with the Lack of Structured Information with Gallente PF...yet the Structured Information seems to be pointing out that there IS a Lack of Structured Information; that's the point, the unique strength of the Gallenteans over other factions. Take any pre-existing element of EVE fiction, and boil it down to an individual basis under a non-authoritarian system.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Downplaying democracy - The "blank canvas" of Fed RP
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2012, 08:37 »

I'd say it's kept blank because, due to the Fed's similarity to some RL governments, people are already very prone to making too many direct-line comparisons. The Devs are probably not keen on listing examples that might spur that sort of thing on.

Secondly, the Fed is big. I mean really big. Things are going to be very different in separate regions.

I tell people this about the Amarr, but it doesn't seem to stick...

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2012, 08:59 »

Secondly, the Fed is big. I mean really big. Things are going to be very different in separate regions.

+1

The problem is, it must have some binding concept, not just "freedom and liberty or bust" mantra.

The Amarrian, Minmatar and Caldari are quite believable in my view, because they have dark angles, but have an unifying one. The gallente not so much.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2012, 10:29 »

I tell people this about the Amarr, but it doesn't seem to stick...

You know what's horrible? Finding Amarr = America comparisons in EVE General Discussion. God, seriously. Drives me up the wall.

And Bruno, I think the unifying concept is individualism (and all subunits) that is a verryyy broad and wide thing where "anything goes" can happen beneath it.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2012, 11:58 »

And Bruno, I think the unifying concept is individualism (and all subunits) that is a verryyy broad and wide thing where "anything goes" can happen beneath it.

That usually leads to fragmentation...

if one planet is completely different to another, what advantage does provide abiding to a common basic denominator? ie the Federation