Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the top-heavy, curved, vertical design of the Naglfar was copied from Minmatar totems? Read more in the description

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: EA to take over Star Wars games  (Read 6150 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: EA to take over Star Wars games
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2013, 04:17 »

Yeah I played to the restored version and there is the HK factory, though believe me, as much as the level is awesome and beautifully crafted (with droids torturing various stuff in the training torture sections), the level design is clearly unpolished and the level is tedious as hell. And by tedious, I really mean it. It's quite obvious why that level (and many others) have not seen the light eventually at the release, they were just sub par in quality sadly.

However I have not seen anything about the missing planet, since from what I have heard it was barely created and mostly still at the concept stage than anything else.

However as much as the restoration project is awesome, the issue is that the team had internal drama and sploded before the release, so people eventually gathered all the files and released a patch very painful to install. And I think the patch murdered a little the last dialogue parts with my various characters of my crew near the end : I was unable to start them and it was frustrating. Still a lot of bugs.

There hasn't been a good Star Wars game in about what, 15 years?

Knights of the Old Republic. The second one could have been good but they screwed that one up by releasing it for the Christmas rush with 25% of the content unreleased.

Hey, say what you will about it's bugs and missing content, but KOTOR 2 was a fantastic game when you got down to it's core. The writing was probably the best in any piece of Star Wars derived fiction around. And mod projects have since fixed pretty much every bug and restored most of the lost content, now.

^That.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2013, 05:13 »

Knights of the Old Republic. The second one could have been good but they screwed that one up by releasing it for the Christmas rush with 25% of the content unreleased.

Hey, say what you will about it's bugs and missing content, but KOTOR 2 was a fantastic game when you got down to it's core. The writing was probably the best in any piece of Star Wars derived fiction around. And mod projects have since fixed pretty much every bug and restored most of the lost content, now.

On topic: That sucks. LucasArts has been a shadow of it's former self for a long time, now, but it still led to some good stuff every so often. I doubt we can expect the same from EA, exclusively.
Wait, have they finished the HK factory + Voice Acting?! BECAUSE OH MY GOD THAT WOULD BE AMAZING. And yeah, the writing was pretty fucking ace. I really liked the way they turned the Force on its head.

Yep. They have. I think they even restored the missing planet, somehow? I'm not sure. I haven't played the latest version, but I understand they had some developer support.

Yeah Obsidian gave them all the remaining and left over files they still had for the fan project. The modders did a great job with what they had.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2013, 10:31 »

Ok, about ten years then since last good SW game :P

Point still valid though.

The days of TIE FIGHTER have long since passed :(

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2013, 11:31 »

Ok, about ten years then since last good SW game :P

Point still valid though.

The days of TIE FIGHTER have long since passed :(

Aaaah, Tie Fighter. One of my very first games. Ever. I played that awesome stuff before I had a NES and way before I knew a word of English.

This news don't surprise me at all. EA will buy anything they think will get them money, and in that interest alone they will violate and mutilate whatever they please. Their list of offenses are long by now.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 08 May 2013, 11:54 »

Don't speak about X-WING or TIE FIGHTER. It spoils my day and makes me think to desperate things.  :(

Or to awesome things, like playing yet another time at x-wing alliance. @_@

Fun fact : found the old packages of x-wing and tie fighter, and guess what was inside ? An old survey printed on paper that asked to players a lot of things, like if they wanted more extended universe lore in their games, or if they wanted more story driven stuff, if they were happy to see Thrawn in the game, etc... Awesome days. I was like wtf reading that kind of things now.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2013, 11:57 by Lyn Farel »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #20 on: 08 May 2013, 12:02 »

Don't speak about X-WING or TIE FIGHTER. It spoils my day and makes me think to desperate things.  :(

Or to awesome things, like playing yet another time at x-wing alliance. @_@

wtb 64-bit remakes of these games. Nao.

I have the old ones and managed to find some 32-bit installers to get them working on my win7 machine, but ermagerd teeny tiny itty bitty resolution q.q
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 08 May 2013, 12:32 »

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #22 on: 08 May 2013, 12:51 »

KOTOR, Rogue Squadron series and Jedi Outcast II all say hi.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #23 on: 09 May 2013, 00:20 »

I like EA, but I'm biased in that regard.

The Star Wars IP is nothing special to me.

... fuck you EA you have no soul.
That's unnecessary.

Obsidian was the developer for Knights of the Old Republic 2.

LucasArts did not 'rush' them; Obsidian was so hungry for that IP they committed to something they couldn't deliver.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2013, 00:33 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #24 on: 09 May 2013, 02:31 »

As said before in this thread it does not have to mean much as vast majority of star wars games ever been rather crap. One downside is of course the exclusivity deal in itself.

Possibly we will see another new SW game every year as they continue to milk the franchise to death so hard that the cow explodes but thats already been ongoing for years. It will just get worse under Disney and EA

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #25 on: 09 May 2013, 08:23 »

... fuck you EA you have no soul.
That's unnecessary.

No, it really is not.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 09 May 2013, 08:55 »

I like EA, but I'm biased in that regard.

You work for EA?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 09 May 2013, 11:03 »

If you work for EA, my deepest sympathies.

I understand there is a world of difference between MANAGEMENT/OWNERS and the people writing code and making games. Very different groups, and the people putting the hours in meeting deadlines are not the people we dislike.

That being said, EA is generally responsible for the lion's share of the WORST trends in gaming over the last decade or two, from DLC, to yearly FPS 'sequels', to yearly sports game 'sequels'.

Making less product for more money, and charging you extra money for things that traditionally were always part of original games. 

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 09 May 2013, 11:06 »

Yes gaming was always a business, but the producers changed the nature of the agreement unilaterally on the players.

Old math: I pay you $x, I get a game full of stuff to finish, and maybe play multiplayer online.

EA Math:  I pay you more $$, I get 2/3 of a game, I pay you more $$ for my original content, and you want me to do it every year.

$50-60 games are now $110-120 games to even get all the things now ;(

I will not even begin to talk about always on DRM
« Last Edit: 09 May 2013, 11:08 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 09 May 2013, 11:12 »

I'm not trying to sound unreasonably negative, but this sort of shit it why I have stopped buying console games entirely.

I liked going to a store, paying a known quantity of money, and getting a known quantity of game.

Now there's all this other shit associated with -everything-.  Do I want the collector's edition? Do I need the extra multiplayer  map? Do I need the special cosmetic upgrades? Do I need the super super collectors edition for the shiny thing?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5