Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TERA: Da hell with auto-attack gibberish  (Read 6852 times)

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
Re: TERA: Da hell with auto-attack gibberish
« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2012, 15:43 »

Like any other "physical" MMO, it has a great RP atmosphere too, especially with a dedicated RP server. Walk anywhere, struggling, get help from someone, make a new IC brother-in-arms, encounter a group of guild soldiers sparring and roleplaying out loud in the main city square, converse with them, join them, go take HUGE unpredictable God Of War style bosses as a group, go find a vista with a stunning view to sit down and RP together.

You mean everyone stands around telling their backstories to each other and sometimes getting into pointless arguments that are only resolved in an artificial, metagaming "we decided this behind the scenes" style because there's nothing of actual value to get into fights over, not that the fights would actually resolve anything.

Desiderya

« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2012, 15:51 »

^

Exactly this. And this is not talking down on a game, but comes from experience in two 'Avatar'-based MMOS, one more suitable for RP, the other despite theoretically having all means to be a real haven less so. Talking about Anarchy Online and LOTRO here.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2012, 16:01 »

"Roleplay" in any game besides EVE-Online has as far as I've experienced been either child-grade bragging-type stories about their awesome toons, who are all the hero, any other toon who says otherwise lies. That along with emo-grade crap and worse, E-RP'ing bull leads to the creation of an often poisonous cocktail.

The negative factors about EVE RP has been pointed out. These however are not the only cases of RP in EVE unlike most others I've seen, so it's still fully possible and interesting (not to mention entertaining) to me to RP in EVE.

I have the impression the one and only RP server in TERA will be a normal non-PVP server along with the other dull holes and will not be any special in any regard beyond the E-RP'ers and kids arguing who's toons are more awesome. Unless both of these expectations are brutally and decisively broken I will leave RP the hell alone in TERA and focus on combat in a PVP server. From what I hear there will be 3 PVP servers, 1 RP and the remaining 6 standard. And that the PVP servers were rather packed. For this reason I'm also hoping they will make more PVP servers... time will tell.

Desiderya

« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2012, 16:57 »

Usually you find a small circle where you can take part in reasonable RP after your tastes ( however they are ), but really, meeting someone who's questing IC is rare as hell. It happens at the start of a game/server, before everyone has settled on their small circles or is already disillusioned.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2012, 18:00 »

EVE RPers have their faults.

Many
MANY
Faults.

They FUCKING PALE in comparison to the shit-gargling smack queens that populate other MMO 'ArPee communities'

Mainly because, in EVE, talking out your fuckhole can get all your towers 'sploded.

HUZZAH!  :cube:
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2012, 18:07 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2012, 09:23 »

From what I hear there will be 3 PVP servers, 1 RP and the remaining 6 standard. And that the PVP servers were rather packed. For this reason I'm also hoping they will make more PVP servers... time will tell.
10 servers, all are currently "high" or "medium" load with characters. There is a single RP server and all the PVP servers are at high. I checked last night :(

With only 10 servers, gonna be rough at launch, probably huge que times.
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:00 »

Victim of own success. Not the worst problem to have. I might check this out... although I'd need to quit eve to actually have the time for another game.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:08 »

No need to quit. Inform your corp/alliance you will be gone for a while and give TERA a month, at most. Frankly if you don't know if you want to play the game anymore after a month, or not, odds are you don't really want to. At that point you return to EVE and resume as normal.

If not, you will know yourself if you can manage to divide your time between EVE and TERA, if not, pick whatever game entertains you the most - in a month, you should know the answer to that one too ;)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2012, 12:49 »

There's a very optimistic view of EVE RP here...it's pretty dead outside of the Summit (even Summit is poor atm) and private stuff between characters. Even if you might think the RP in avatar-based MMO might be sub-par, at least it's THERE. It's friendly, cooperative, enjoyable, and far more instantaneous and accessible.

EVE RP seems to basically "fluff" up standard EVE griefing protocol. If Goons made their Burn Jita thing IC, we'd have a lot of "Stop taking it OOC, it's just RP".

Desiderya

« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2012, 14:59 »

EVE is not two-dimensional and offers a lot of major and minor factions. That combined with the size of the cluster makes almost all non-spaceship-combat related interaction voluntary. That means that characters ( and to some extent players, too, although it's imho mostly the other way around ) rarely meet antagonists 'in the wild'.

Even if there were factional places where characters would hang out, it would be a very limited amount of people per channel. You can set up a "Capsuleer lounge"  in Jita, where everyone currently doing business in Jita might come in ICly, but that's another place that would be entirely voluntary.

Avatar-based MMOs are rather small in the playable area and force chokepoints on players.

The current situation in EVE and its RP has two major reasons: A lack of places where characters have to go to achieve something aside voluntary socializing and a rather limited amount of visible RP corporations. Add the 'current' stalemate of EVE's story development into the mix and you seriously hamper people's motivations to invest time and energy into, what is essentially, a lot of work.
Pages: 1 [2]