Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Frentix is a principle drug booster of Sansha's Nation?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: LULZ---EXPOSED!!!!!!!  (Read 6203 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
LULZ---EXPOSED!!!!!!!
« on: 17 Jun 2011, 09:39 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/06/17/pei-lulzsec-personal-internet-accounts-584.html

So basically, at this point. These people need to be taken out. I get they are proving and exposing massive security holes in all of these sites and systems. The question I have is, why is it required to damage the personal lives of people in the process?
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 15:02 by Invelious »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: LULZ
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2011, 10:08 »

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=2397.msg33123#msg33123

p. much same applies here.

combination of: lack of empathy, blaming victims, boredom and basic dishonesty.

phrases like: "its not stealing. Paypal are just leaving this money lying around. if a bank threw cash into a dumpster, wouldn't you take it?" and so on.

Not so long ago, when parking my car, I happened to notice on the ground, a set of car keys, they had a Renault logo on them. I thought one of the neighbours had such a vehicle, and so waited to see if it turned up, then I could find out whose car it was, and if they'd lost a set of keys. Which it did, and they had.
These lulzsec people, amongst many, many others, would not do such. What they'd do, is test the key in various Renaults to see if it worked, joyride it around, probably write it off, and then say "well you shouldn't have dropped the key then".
That's the difference.

These sorts of attitudes, are infantile and erode any chance of humanity developing.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2011, 10:18 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:03 »

Grr...

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:19 »

Some time ago, there was an article - can't remember where, in some Finnish web site or paper - that was about the "culture of FAIL". That is, a combination of schadenfreude and anonymity taken to an extreme.

Crucifire

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:29 »

I got an email from SEGA this morning, it said:
Quote from: SEGA
Over the last 24 hours we have identified that unauthorised entry was gained to our SEGA Pass database.
It went on to say:
Quote from: SEGA
Please note that no personal payment information was stored by SEGA as we use external payment providers, meaning your payment details were not at risk from this intrusion.
I wonder if LulzSec had anything to do with this? I hope Segata Sanshiro kicks their asses.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:31 »

Regarding schadenfreude, some people ARE idiots in these videos, and what happens is unsurprising.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2011, 14:00 »

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=2397.msg33123#msg33123

p. much same applies here.

combination of: lack of empathy, blaming victims, boredom and basic dishonesty.

phrases like: "its not stealing. Paypal are just leaving this money lying around. if a bank threw cash into a dumpster, wouldn't you take it?" and so on.

Not so long ago, when parking my car, I happened to notice on the ground, a set of car keys, they had a Renault logo on them. I thought one of the neighbours had such a vehicle, and so waited to see if it turned up, then I could find out whose car it was, and if they'd lost a set of keys. Which it did, and they had.
These lulzsec people, amongst many, many others, would not do such. What they'd do, is test the key in various Renaults to see if it worked, joyride it around, probably write it off, and then say "well you shouldn't have dropped the key then".
That's the difference.

These sorts of attitudes, are infantile and erode any chance of humanity developing.

Guess this is a good sign for me then. As a part of my work-day I need to take a ferry across the fjord twice a day to get to/from work. I've taken it so many times I know what sounds to listen for; how long I usually have between the original de-celeration til the turbines start reversing to slow the ship down and berting, and so on.

Random passengers, especially people driving cargo up and down the kingdom don't know this and usually leave their seats to go get ready and get into their vehicles long before they have to, strictly speaking. A few months ago some guy sitting by the table in front of my usual seat forgot his wallet, with his drivers-license, visa, personal info, family album and money. When I make ready to leave, I notice this and pick it up. I like the seat I usually sit in because while the passenger-cabin is under surveillance, there is only one camera and it's sitting above my seat.

In other words my seat and the table in front are in a dead-angle and I could have gotten away with said wallet and several thousand crowns with no problem at all.

Ofc I did no such thing. I flipped it open, had a quick look at the ID and tried my best to memorize the face on it. Then I ran outside and asked every driver of every car, making sure to compare faces. Found the guy in a frantic search for - I'm making a wild guess here... - his wallet. I hardly even had to ask because I could see it was the right guy. He got his rather vital piece of leather back I got to go on with my day wondering what I'd do if I had just tucked it in my pocket and walked off the ship.

I'd like to imagine that anyone would do this, even for utter, random strangers. Sadly, the world don't work like this, and neither does these juveniles. I'm still going to laught when they are all in jail, simply because they have provided ample evidence of deserving it.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2011, 20:23 »

These guys gave me a major spook earlier today.

I opened up facebook and started trying to change my password, but it kept saying that my old "password was incorrectly typed". I began to get seriously worried; I double checked that I didn't have capslock on and typed it ultra-slowly to make sure I wasn't mispelling - still no luck. Having that icy-ball-in-gut, I finally dug out a hidden paper I have listing all my passwords.

I was putting in my EVE password. Boy, did I feel dumb.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2011, 21:37 »

Even though I sympathize with some tenets of the greater info-anarchy movement, the behavior and radicalism of its supporters will not bode well for them. Lulzsec are beginning to tick off people that would have at first supported them, and some of those people are white hats.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2011, 03:53 »

Yeah.

And its not even more radicalism, its utter stupidity. Those are not even doing it for some sort of ethics anymore, just for fun.

Chevalleis

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:04 »

"Hey, I just got an idea!"
"What s it?"
"Let's hack every website in the world! We could become famous!"
"Bt isn't it dangerous?"
"Nah, we're too uber for them. Let's do it!"
"Great idea!"

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:07 »

At this point I'm kinda hoping they incur some serious charges. I don't think hacking an MMO site gets you much cred in a prison yard.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:46 »

Yeah, these guys are to information activism what Goons are to MMOs. Disruptive trolls who have no purpose beyond corralling all the dipshits under one name. While I highly support entities like Anonymous and others that actually have an agenda about the freedom of information, I will easily condemn stuff like this, which is just vandalism and theft.

These guys won't last. Unlike entities like Anon, these guys are pissing off all the wrong people...

Chevalleis

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2011, 05:06 »

Unlike entities like Anon, these guys are pissing off all the wrong people...

Anon doesn't piss off wrong people? Lulz.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2011, 05:26 »

Not enough, apparently.

Anon has the support of a lot of people, due to their targets and agenda.
These lulz guys are basically pissing off everyone.

Pages: [1] 2