Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That PIE capsuleers do not only supply their comrades with spiced wine, but also with dark, maltey ale and fine brandy from their planetside holdings?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Avatars, sigs and you.  (Read 6117 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« on: 24 Feb 2011, 10:53 »

So it is that I've always, since I first started viewing forums and boards on the world wide sticky place, had a fondness for the avatar and signature options available. A bit of an excuse to show-off or be flashy or simply use one you like, for whatever reason you like it. It alternatively, not use any avatar/sig at all if that's your thing. “The board is there to chat on I can't be bothered with my avatar so long as my name's there, and such.

So, if you use avatar(s) and/or signatures, where are they from and why did you use this one and/or the previous one(s)? Did you pick it for any special reason other than “it's cute/it was a ransom thing”?

Share the fun. I'd love to see if this topic get's any serious response. I'll belay any info on my own to see if any interest arise for this topic, first.

Akikio L

• Wetgraver
    • Akikio's Plog
Re: Avatars, sigs and you.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2011, 11:19 »

Poastin'...I think my sig/avatar speak for themselves =P

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2011, 11:31 »

My avatar's just my in-game me, so tada! My favorite EVE-related avatar is Tercius's on the EM forums. The photoshopped yellow pimp hat with zebra-striped headband on his old Sebbie avatar makes me lulz every time.

Duckling is one of my corp titles and callsign. Ko earned that from Eva for a virtual simulation of a pond; she drags people there to get them to relax and feed the ducks. She'll randomly, "Peep," out of the blue when things are tense to remind everyone to relax - a fun codeword sound thing that's so out-of-place that even someone who doesn't understand has to pause for a moment. And, then there's the, "BATTLEPEEP!", when it's time to pew pew.

The quote is something I'll change at random. Right now, it was something Ko said to Gottii months ago when they had one of their many talks about spiritual matters.

I still love my siggy weeks after getting it, and I don't think I'll stop for a long time. I even use it on other, not-EVE forums. I was tempted for a looooong time to apply to PRETA, and I'll admit the sigs I saw all of them using was part of the temptation. There's just something about the close-up of the eyes that intrigues me. About a month ago Marcus gave me this one after Myrh made it for me. I've been giddy and proud of it ever since.
Will work for pretty sig.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2011, 12:34 »

I actually have avatars and sigs turned off for security reasons, so the only time I see them is if I go look at somebody's profile directly.

If I had a setting to see only those images uploaded here directly, then I'd go that route.

Crucifire

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2011, 12:57 »

Turned off for security reasons? Would you mind elaborating? I'm curious.

My avatar is one of my favorite modules, who doesn't love a point? Except when it's pointing at you.

I open up photoshoop once every week or so and crank out a new signature for some place I go postin', like I did here this morning. They usually don't have any real meaning other than to be a nice aesthetic touch to my generally crude posts, occasionally it will follow a theme, but they will most often be inspired by whatever music I have playing on my turntable or mp3 player at the time. They're always unique to the board I post at too, you won't see me use this signature anywhere else, or ever again once I change it. I also tend not to use text in my own signatures and keep it purely art mishmash.

I'll also often do signatures/avatars/banners for corp/alliance members and their killboards/websites, and maybe even you if you ask nicely! ;)

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2011, 13:24 »

Essentially, any user can insert nearly any code they want into your web page. This actually bit me before on another SMF forum I administered (oddly enough for a MMO RP community), where the "avatar" for one of the users actually was a JavaScript file containing exploit code.

Some of this is due to browsers trying to interpret faulty XHTML code, which most apps produce. So a browser will try to figure out what it 'should' do, and that can lead to problems.

I haven't seen those sorts of attacks crop up on Backstage, thankfully.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2011, 13:47 »

Essentially, any user can insert nearly any code they want into your web page. This actually bit me before on another SMF forum I administered (oddly enough for a MMO RP community), where the "avatar" for one of the users actually was a JavaScript file containing exploit code.

Some of this is due to browsers trying to interpret faulty XHTML code, which most apps produce. So a browser will try to figure out what it 'should' do, and that can lead to problems.

I haven't seen those sorts of attacks crop up on Backstage, thankfully.

Never thought of that, but that must be extremely rare.

Crucifire

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2011, 13:54 »

Yeah, wow, I've never even heard of that.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2011, 14:03 »

The fact that I manage incident response and investigations for a financial services firm might affect my paranoia.

ANYWAY, sorry for the off-topic. I do like sigs, and I really should get some new ones made soonish.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2011, 14:05 »

My avatar was made out of inspiration for my whole corp to have aviator pics and follow the meme that best describes our IC attitude.

As for the signature, the courage wolf pic was made in response to an inside joke of sorts. Been in a lot of RP communities, seen the same thing crop up more than once.

As for the two music links, I thought I'd express my view on how IC pirates are typically viewed. Among their own ranks, typically fun people and a lot of spirit for what they do, and a lot of play on the "money, clothes and women" motif. In the public sphere, it's practically campy that they're viewed as peg-legged scalliwags with eye patches and cutlasses.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2011, 14:45 »

The avatar I'm using a chibi I made when I first joined the forums. It kinda looks like Vince and has his zippolighter in it. So it serves it's purpose.

The signature I currently use is something a friend of mine put together for me. I like the intense blue eyes of a madman. Relating to a short story I wrote a while back. The pic used in it is a still of Kraven from Underworld. And like Kohi-Duck, something about the close up of eyes intrigues me.

The title "Magnificent Bastard" is the name of my blog and works well to describe Vince. The tagline "Trust me." is Vince's catchphrase of sorts, most who've interacted with him have heard it in one context or another.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2011, 15:44 »

My current avatar is supposed to be an IC surveillance image representing one of the few camera shots that have captured GoGo during her 3 year absence from public scrutiny. Basically, one day I was wondering what the hell was my character up to since I hadn't played the game for a long time. The avatar is the result of that.. and a low grade mystery to crack for anyone who looks close enough. Just some idle fun with a character I wasn't playing at the time.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2011, 07:35 »

Essentially, any user can insert nearly any code they want into your web page.

Wouldn't the image validation catch that? I mean the field for phpbb, and for this software also is set to accept only images.

My avatar and sig are rather obvious, so yeah :P

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2011, 09:55 »

My current avatar is supposed to be an IC surveillance image representing one of the few camera shots that have captured GoGo during her 3 year absence from public scrutiny. Basically, one day I was wondering what the hell was my character up to since I hadn't played the game for a long time. The avatar is the result of that.. and a low grade mystery to crack for anyone who looks close enough. Just some idle fun with a character I wasn't playing at the time.

Where's it from originally though?

And mine's a doctored image of Brandon Lee, with tattoos and dogtag...pretty much what I would expect Seriphyn to look like IRL, considering Seri is Jin-Mei/Deteis, and Brandon himself is Chinese/European.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2011, 10:08 »

Essentially, any user can insert nearly any code they want into your web page.

Wouldn't the image validation catch that? I mean the field for phpbb, and for this software also is set to accept only images.

Dunno about phpBB, but SMF definitely allowed a .js file in that field (this was about two years ago). And browsers usually have rendering modes where they'll allow non-standard things like parsing the Javascript included. This is why browsers have to have so many security updates, because input validation doesn't occur as often as it should.
Pages: [1] 2 3