Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fedos are spongy creatures about the size of a cat that smell horrible and are sometimes used for waste disposal on ships? More here!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Khanid Kingdom  (Read 8128 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Khanid Kingdom
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jun 2013, 12:49 »

We need to give the Kingdom to House Ardishapur, just like the Mandate. We'll teach you the proper way of things!

Khanid II would snap Ardishapur in half like a twig.   

:P

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jun 2013, 16:49 »

As I understand it, there's no theology council and each Holder, being spiritually superior to those around them, gets to interpret the Scriptures as they desire. Given the Scriptures are a living document, they can probably pick and choose which scriptures are important and which can be ignored.

As long as you don't piss off other people in power, you can probably have your own personalized version of Faith... that said:

The rationalisation that I've used is that the Kingdom's religious nature is a sham.
Of course it is a sham. Not totally since we still see Khanid Zealots and other illuminated Khanids.

I think sham is a rather poor word here.

The People's Temple Agricultural Project was a 'sham' but when Jim Jones ordered his followers to commit suicide, 907 people ended up dying from drinking poisoned kool-aid.

Do the people at the top manipulate beliefs for their own goals and profits? Sure, a number of them do. But that's going to be just as true in the Kingdom as it is in the Empire or State or Federation. And for every belief, there are going to be ardent followers, people who are just doing what everyone else does, and people who are questioning what's going on.

I think what you're seeing is simply cultural: The Khanid value religion but they prioritize it differently.

It's like being in a small, Southern town vs being in a small, West Coast town. The West Coast town will have fewer believers and their attitude toward the church is going to be different. That doesn't mean West Coast churches are corrupt or their version of Christianity is a sham.

If anything, an area where the religion is paramount is more prone to abuses. Those in religious positions have more social power and can get away with a great deal more.

Oh I agree. It was more that I did not find any better word for it. It can be considered a sham by outsiders, especially imperials, nothing more.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #32 on: 23 Jun 2013, 19:14 »

Oh yes, I agree then. :)
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Kazuma Ry

• Cardinal Lieutenant
  • Wetgraver
  • Enlightening a Slave near you
« Reply #33 on: 28 Jul 2013, 11:47 »

As for the Kingdom following it's own guidelines for the Scriptures, they are also the only place that (The Cult of Tetrimon found safety when they were outlawed in the Empire.

This could also have helped for the Khanid into the ruthless Slavers due to having this influence to the orginal scriptures before the corruption from previous Emperours.

But this topic has made me want to move out of Empire space and into Khanid space.....
"White as the falling snow. Black as our Citadels burned against the sky."

"Faith gained through knowledge and knowledge gained through Faith. In service to God, do we find the answers"

Kazuma Ry

• Cardinal Lieutenant
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #34 on: 28 Jul 2013, 11:49 »

Also, just wondering if there was a Khanid RP channel that gets some regular use?

"Faith gained through knowledge and knowledge gained through Faith. In service to God, do we find the answers"

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #35 on: 29 Jul 2013, 04:50 »

Not that I've heard of.  We're a somewhat rare breed.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 29 Jul 2013, 08:37 »

*sings a silent song of dispair for "Khanidpublic" , long since dead and empty :(

Kazuma Ry

• Cardinal Lieutenant
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #37 on: 29 Jul 2013, 14:10 »

*sings a silent song of dispair for "Khanidpublic" , long since dead and empty :(

Doh, I forgot about that channel...... I will be having it open on my comm channels as of tonight when I can log on. It shall not be empty, possible dead, but not empty  :cry:

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #38 on: 30 Jul 2013, 00:05 »

There are very few kingdom Khanids I know of.  OOCly (and ICly) im the only Zealot who occasionally zealotizes (functions openly as a spiritual counselor) for "my sect" that I know of.  I hve no IC way to progress past that point atm.

As it is there is very little "open" Amarr religion as it is as we get shouted down at public mention of the G word, even privately among non-Amarr we get asked odd ass questions (at least I so) that feel awkward to answer at best.

"So what's your opinion on slaves?"
"Is God involved in everything you do?"
"How many "x" have you killed?"
"Have you had sex before?"

It's like a theology council shadow agent every time the questions get asked... ;)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #39 on: 30 Jul 2013, 01:02 »

There are very few kingdom Khanids I know of.  OOCly (and ICly) im the only Zealot who occasionally zealotizes (functions openly as a spiritual counselor) for "my sect" that I know of.  I hve no IC way to progress past that point atm.

As it is there is very little "open" Amarr religion as it is as we get shouted down at public mention of the G word, even privately among non-Amarr we get asked odd ass questions (at least I so) that feel awkward to answer at best.

"So what's your opinion on slaves?"
"Is God involved in everything you do?"
"How many "x" have you killed?"
"Have you had sex before?"

It's like a theology council shadow agent every time the questions get asked... ;)

Never faced those questions myself - but then, Reppy's not exactly quiet about her opinions at times.

Except for a few, cos heresy.

At this point, I think TYRIN is the only 'Khanid' corporation, and seeing as only the CEO has any real loyalties to the place, that's not saying much.  Kind of sad.

Of course, IC Reppy's not complaining about this fact, because it makes it easier for everyone to ignore the Kingdom.  Carry on folks, nothing highly unethical going on here...

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jul 2013, 09:10 »

Now I'm kind of intrigued about the whole Kingdom...

Just kidding. But I understand some of the frustration that being a religious character can be just based on my on real-life experience. This is why I am very quiet about my faith in real-life as well as Steff's faith in game. That said, I think the majority of the Empire and the Kingdom would frown upon her approach to faith.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:11 »

I don't know, but Nico is quite open about her religion and faith. I also don't see how those quest questions, which seemingly inevitably arise, I agree, are odd ass and feel awkward to answer. The Khanid should feel even less awkward, as they really don't have to fear TC scrutiny. All in all, the Kingdom is less about religion than the Empire, anyways.

Kazuma Ry

• Cardinal Lieutenant
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #42 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:55 »

I have been RPing Kazuma as a Chaplain of sorts since my days in the the Knighthood, and when I would try to preach, I never had people be negative towards it (granted I was preachy in Amarr loyalist channels usually).

I haven't shied away from the fact that Kazuma is a Khanid Holder, slave owner, enlightener, and from corp history a Sarumite (also just from my corp history, they might think he is a closet Blooder due to some of the ties that Ebon Seraph and Dark Seraph once had (I am not, but can't say that if I went Pirate, I wouldn't go that route)).

I have always enjoyed the fact being a Khanid that my enslavement options are wider then if I was a traditional Amarrian, and the means that I can use are wider also. Although in all RP sessions, I have tried to RP the use of enlightenment as a way to control my slave (and possible vitoc), I haven't gone much down the road of implants to change the brain.

The Khanid should feel even less awkward, as they really don't have to fear TC scrutiny. All in all, the Kingdom is less about religion than the Empire, anyways.

Nico,

I always saw the Kingdom as being able to be more religious then the Empire, since we had the Zealots and Cyber Knights as a background choice. I just got the impression that since King Khanid allowed the Cult of Tetrimon stay in the kingdom without being oppressed, it meant we had a purier orginal view of the religion (with the whole enslave the lesser races, bring them closer to god, work them to death if they don't want to embrace God).

Guess that is my take on it.

~ Kazuma

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 30 Jul 2013, 15:06 »

Don't get me wrong, people in the Kingdom can be religious. Also, Kahnids, as in ethnic Khanids, tend - as PF indicates - to be more fanatic if they put a stake in religious practice than Amarr. Fanatism doesn't translate to being 'more religious', though, in my opinion. Also, the Zealot and Cyber Knight ancestries are open to ethnic Khanids of imperial origin as much as to those hailing from the Kingdom.

I think King Khanid just allowed the Tetrimon to stay because they were a thorn in the Empire's side, not because he was particularly interested in their religious view. Most people in the Kingdom probably pay as much heed to the Tetrimonic cult as to the Theology council. ("It [the Order of St. Tetrimon] managed to remain active in the Khanid Kingdom, where Khanid II allowed it to remain legal for political reasons." - EVElopedia, Order of St. Tetrimon, emphasis added by me.)

As to the 'purer' view of religion, PF states explicity that Khanid don't see an need for particularly religious justifications of slavery: "Instead, the Kingdom tends to take a relatively simplistic view that, as Amarr, they are superior to other races and thus have the God-given right to enslave them as they see fit." That smells like simple racism to me. This is supported by the fact, that few slaves are ever released in the Kingdom and even most clerics pay only lip service to the idea of enlightening slaves. (see: EVElopedia, Slavery: Khanid Kingdom - Justifications)

It is also school knowledge in the Empire that King Khanid founded his kingdom on the premise that his law is more important than God's law. This is supported by PF about the Kingdom: "Additionally, as there is no Theology Council or centralized religious authority in the Kingdom aside from the King, the Kingdom Holders assume many of the duties undertaken by the priesthood in the Empire." (see: EVElopedia, Khanid II)

I feel quite secure in stating that religion is in the Kingdom less of a public and more of a personal matter than in the Empire, for sure.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2013, 15:13 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Kazuma Ry

• Cardinal Lieutenant
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #44 on: 30 Jul 2013, 15:34 »

I see your point, and while I can see the religion in the Kingdom is more personal, the personal side might be just the Holder, and how he / she enforces their religious views upon their subjects and slaves.

Pages: 1 2 [3]