Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When EVE first launched, the highest and most dangerous NPC imaginable was a 50k Cruiser?

Author Topic: Re: Going back to RP Lite  (Read 927 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Going back to RP Lite
« on: 31 May 2013, 13:36 »

As long as the war remains full of honor and space bushido thingies where opponents appear worthy and people see that at least, they fought and didn't flee or stayed docked, people will respect you. From experience, at least.

Though of course even if the stated goal sounds bit stretched or clumsy, considering all the trollish answers that followed it smells highly of heavy IC circle jerking to me. Don't let that get over your head too much and prove them wrong. Actually, a war dec like that can either be a dramatic way to either ending the laughing stock of the cluster, or also a way to actually get a lot of respect, depending on how you handle it. And it does not necessarily means beating the opponent straight down, as explained above.

[mod]Post moved for breach of Rule 3. Do not use derogatory terms to describe other player's RP. [/mod]
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2013, 02:20 by Ciarente »

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
Re: Re: Going back to RP Lite
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2013, 14:26 »

it smells highly of heavy IC circle jerking to me.

It'd be nice for you to make the point that there has actually been NO IC or OOC Agitprop on Pyre Falcon's behalf to 'rouse the kraken' and humiliate Alexylva Paradox. Otherwise your statement looks like suggesting that we went whining to our community friends to get them to back us up - and I have a problem with that which might, by extension, become a problem with you.

[mod]Post moved as quotes modded post[/mod]
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2013, 02:21 by Ciarente »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jun 2013, 04:57 »

Honestly I think that AVLP should have instead remained silent until Pyre posted something on the IGS, taking the initiative and the responsibility of explaining their ideals behind it. The ensuing answers of AVLP would have been perceived a little less like a naive jape.

it smells highly of heavy IC circle jerking to me.

It'd be nice for you to make the point that there has actually been NO IC or OOC Agitprop on Pyre Falcon's behalf to 'rouse the kraken' and humiliate Alexylva Paradox. Otherwise your statement looks like suggesting that we went whining to our community friends to get them to back us up - and I have a problem with that which might, by extension, become a problem with you.

I was not especially referring to Pyre members.

People/characters are quick to jump to the defense of their circle jerk friends whatever their ideals or what they have to gain. You don't have to whine at them for them to do so, quite the contrary. It's like IRL somehow, I do not see the issue with that, other than I particularly despise that kind of things on a personal level, but if we were trying to be realistic IC here, it's successful and believable, very believable. What would we expect otherwise ? A marginal corporation war decs (so, put themselves into the aggressive position) a corporation full of popular people, who have a lot of friends ICly. The result on the IGS was expected since the beginning.

It's IC circle jerking in its finest, combined with IGS culture.

[mod]Post breaks rule 3. [/mod]
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2013, 02:22 by Ciarente »

Desiderya

« Reply #3 on: 01 Jun 2013, 08:35 »

Streya, regarding the IGS post  - you should've made clear that you're posting this on behalf of someone else, such as a message from the CEO. I've actually understood your post not as a personal thing of Streya, but as an announcement on behalf of your corporation. Which means that every opinion shaped through that thread would automatically target 'You guys', and not exclusively 'that guy who posted'. Judging from the responses on the IGS I think many posters saw it the same way.

Also Lyn:
I find it utterly hilarious that you say "The IC circle jerk came to Pyre's rescue". If you look at the leadership I wouldn't say either Veikitamo nor Desiderya are the typical likeable characters, and speaking for the corporation I think most people, ICly, would be highly sceptical. I was highly surprised to see people not posting against us.
"A lot of friends."  :lol:

[mod]Post moved as quotes modded post [/mod]

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jun 2013, 09:18 »

Perhaps we should change the psuedo-corporate disclaimer at the bottom of the OP, then. The words "under authorization of" are QUITE different than "on behalf of", so I'm sorry if that was misleading.

As for the "IC circlejerk" thing, I was under the impression that was the entirety of the IGS?  :D
I think the reason you're seeing more popularity in DUTY, Lyn, is that overall FW corps are quite popular in the RP community and are much more big-name than tiny wormhole corps.

[mod]Post moved as quotes modded post[/mod]

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 01 Jun 2013, 11:48 »

As for the "IC circlejerk" thing, I was under the impression that was the entirety of the IGS?  :D
I think the reason you're seeing more popularity in DUTY, Lyn, is that overall FW corps are quite popular in the RP community and are much more big-name than tiny wormhole corps.

And also because nation state RP brings you a lot more support than isolated, "exotic" political points of view.

I never said it was a wrong or right thing. I just said it was to be expected, and actually seems quite logical, since it works more or less the same IRL.

(Stuff about posting on behalf of Saede)

I still don't see anything you posted as a problem for Streya. You're operating right now as spokeswoman for your corporation, and I'm sure people see your posts in that context - maybe add something to your Eve forum sig saying "Spokeswoman for ..." to make it obvious.

Yes, but at the same time ad hominem will make that when Streya will take a position in the future in a debate, people will probably throw that at her face. It is quite common on the IGS, it's even how it works most of the time. "But you are wrong because you are an angel, after all". "But nobody cares what you say anyway considering your employer". "Your point has no value considering what you did in the past". etc.

It is to be expected. I can understand it is not something Streya's player is ready to deal with, although when coming into RP it may be a little naive to believe that one's character will never get any flak that can potentially damage his or her reputation.

However, that is also what gives background and depth to your character and as others have said above, if your character recognize what she did right or wrong and doesn't be a "dick" about it instead, it will garner people respect.

Especially since :

In any case, you undock and fight. It's more than can be said for many. That alone earns you a measure of respect no matter what the outcome of the war is.

[mod]Post moved as quotes modded post.[/mod]
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2013, 02:23 by Ciarente »