Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Battle of Tears, between Minmatar and Ammatar forces in YC102, was one of the highest casualty battles ever fought in New Eden.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: CCP Says: Ingame RP actions have ingame consequences, mkay?  (Read 21814 times)

Vizage

• Egger
Re: CCP Says: Ingame RP actions have ingame consequences, mkay?
« Reply #105 on: 28 Jun 2015, 18:09 »

Good guys win again! :/

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #106 on: 28 Jun 2015, 22:54 »

Excellent.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #107 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:30 »

Did anyone ever tell your police and prosecutors that they're basically teaching your population not to cooperate with them? <,< I mean, that's basic psychology, there. If cooperation is punished and non-cooperation rewarded... Ohmy. I better don't think about that any further.

Let me just say this way of handling things doesn't seem like and example of 'best practice' to me.

Bear in mind that we've still got a strong thread of moralistic, macho aggression in our culture.

Criminals are bad people and deserve to suffer. If they're getting raped in prison, the rest of us will just make jokes about it because that's just one more thing they should have thought of before they went out and committed crimes.

We'll have none of this namby-pamby Scandinavian-style criminal-coddling, 'cause it obviously doesn't work. No, don't show us your stupid facts; your system obviously doesn't work because it's obvious that it can't work because it's obviously wrong.

No, your recidivism statistics can't possibly be a fraction of ours, and it's irrelevant anyway because it's wrong to treat criminals like human beings. Don't you know these people did bad things?

We're not listening! Lalalalalalalalalalala....

(Why yes, I got into criminal defense because I'm a sociopath or anarchist and want to help the bad guys. Why do you ask?)
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2015, 07:34 by Aria Jenneth »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #108 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:34 »

Okay but... this is a little off-topic.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #109 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:45 »

Okay but... this is a little off-topic.

Only a little. If CCP is basing CONCORD's RP on the American authorities, you can expect them to reach for the stick rather than the carrot at every turn.

'Cause you can't go around being nice to bad people, no sir.

Also, if you consider the possibility that CONCORD officials may look at capsuleers as morally objectionable by definition, their heavy-handed approach becomes a lot more explicable.

(That would also make them more profoundly anti-capsuleer than basically anybody but the SoE, though.)
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2015, 07:47 by Aria Jenneth »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #110 on: 30 Jun 2015, 09:17 »

Back to....thread?   :P

« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2015, 09:24 by Silas Vitalia »

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #111 on: 30 Jun 2015, 12:52 »

Back to....thread?   :P

I don't know. It seems relevant to contemplate what attitude CCP is having their NPC actors model in their interactions with us. And a certain level of horrified contempt would make sense given the actions of the deranged (i.e. the non roleplayers who blow up stuff for giggles).
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #112 on: 30 Jun 2015, 13:59 »

I think we might be grasping a tiny bit comparing a modern security-establishment with a sci-fi interplanetary police force 20,000 years and another galaxy away that has to try and deal with immortal spaceship demigods, that's all :P

CCP always says any faction relevance to modern day Earth societies is very loose and tenuous if at all and don't really apply.

DED is more of an interplanetary INTERPOL than the USA patchwork of 1,000 different police forces with different rules and facepalming and their own structures.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #113 on: 30 Jun 2015, 15:21 »

I think we might be grasping a tiny bit comparing a modern security-establishment with a sci-fi interplanetary police force 20,000 years and another galaxy away that has to try and deal with immortal spaceship demigods, that's all :P

CCP always says any faction relevance to modern day Earth societies is very loose and tenuous if at all and don't really apply.

DED is more of an interplanetary INTERPOL than the USA patchwork of 1,000 different police forces with different rules and facepalming and their own structures.

Conceded. However, the sort of attitudes that lead to high-handed actions by authority figures are not limited by time, place, or culture.

There's a reason you need no additional adjectives (evil, authoritarian, etc.) to go from "state" to "police state."

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #114 on: 30 Jun 2015, 19:40 »

Good point! I was going to say the things that we can always take as prescidents from our world is how humans in authority positions typically act, especially without boundaries, or under pressure from superiors, or the old human nature in general.   So international space cop beauracrat in the future probably has the same general pressures and motivations as today's international interpol agent or whatever. 

Lyn Farel

« Reply #115 on: 01 Jul 2015, 01:48 »

Considering what they showcased recently, they sure look closer to something else than space INTERPOL... Which they were supposed to be at first.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #116 on: 01 Jul 2015, 05:18 »

Confirmed. They don't look like INTERPOL at all. Sorry, Silas, but I think there is quite some value to what Aria wrote exactly because CCP seems to work CONCORD/DED based on a model of 'stick rather than the carrot at every turn' law enforcement, now.

Also, given that INTERPOL is depending on the cooperation of the member states and here the member states seemed pretty much bound to do exactly as CONCORD wishes it seems to be quite the obvious mistake to take INTERPOl as an analogue to CONCORD. Here, CONCORD/DED acted more like the FBI in Hollywood movies, walking in, displacing any authority of member state polices or institutions and boldly doing their thing.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2015, 05:29 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #117 on: 01 Jul 2015, 08:11 »

Probably due to my unfamiliarity with how INTERPOL operates, sorry.  I thought they were kind of an EU FBI of sorts?

And I think the hollywood dick-waving between FBI and local Police is slightly exaggerated. Not that there aren't turf wars of course.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #118 on: 01 Jul 2015, 09:02 »

As a side note, lest people get the impression that we Americans are living in a dystopian hell hole, we've actually walked the culture back a bit from where it was at in the '80s and '90s. There are drug courts that focus on recovery and reform, etc., our cops are increasingly under a magnifying glass, it's understood by just about everyone who isn't a DEA agent that the "war on drugs" is a farce, and it's been a while since I heard the words "tough on crime." There's a long way to go, though.

Eve, on the other hand, is a dystopian grimdark setting, so we can maybe expect positions to be more entrenched. Things do not get better.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2015, 09:03 by Aria Jenneth »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #119 on: 01 Jul 2015, 09:39 »

Interpol is more than just EU... It's 190 signatories.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9