Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quick Question - Asking for Advice  (Read 3226 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Quick Question - Asking for Advice
« on: 01 May 2013, 09:11 »

So, my little one-person corporation is part of a pirate alliance and coalition.

I've kept it one person because I've always been the CEO of any group I've been in, and I like being my own boss. It fits with Sabik RP very well, and I like doing 'my own thing' even though I'm part of a much larger group.

My alliance, while rolling their eyes and occasionally trolling me about this doesn't mind too much; I'm one of the main FC's for the alliance/coalition, I'm leading a lot of fleets and generally cheerleading and whipping the rank and file with cat o nine tails to get into fleets and get their asses moving when targets are spotted, handing out ships, etc.

Anyway I'm being pressured more lately to drop the one-person corp and just join one of the larger corps in the alliance in a leadership role to make some logistics easier with corp hangars, cap ships, etc. 

I'm a bit torn because while this would make some things easier, I feel like I'd be giving up some identity and RP bona-fides.

I guess the question is does anyone even care about corp membership and what shows up on the ticker? I'd still be 'me' just with a different corp name. 

:/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Quick Question - Asking for Advice
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2013, 09:18 »

I understand how you feel here, for me its definitely that I enjoy being my own boss, and running my own show. Having your own corporation if its just a 1 man corp, is at the end of the day, really about character flavour. It creates an image, but that's really all it does. If you care about that image, then it makes sense to have your own corp, if you don't care about that image, it seems rather pointless and trite. For me part of roleplaying is to put forward a certain perception, so the image obviously matters to me.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2013, 10:15 »

I'd still be 'me' just with a different corp name. 

Nobilita Nera is a great name and you should keep it.
I rest my case.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2013, 10:21 »

That will be weird to see Silas as a henchman rather than her own boss.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2013, 10:32 »

I guess the question is does anyone even care about corp membership and what shows up on the ticker? I'd still be 'me' just with a different corp name. 

I completely get the way you're feeling here. Corp membership does affect character identity IMO. I'm in a similar situation to you, in that I have two Sansha-aligned characters who are both in the same Sansha-loyalist alliance, but neither of them are members of the by far dominant corporation (True Slave Foundations) within the alliance. Katla is still a member of the for all practical purposes derelict Naqam, while Ruby is in her own little one-person corp, Tomorrowland Orphanage.

Now, Katla would not really be an ideal fit for TS-F, and there's no real practical reason she should be, at least unless the TS-F leadership should decide to trim the ranks and cut Naqam free from the alliance. Ruby on the other hand, probably would be a good fit, and it would have practical benefits since she shares a base with TS-F, participates in roams, etc. And there's no real reason I couldn't still keep the orphanage in operation as a pure RP construct. It is something I have considered, and it might happen someday. But it would still feel weird and a bit sad to give up the one-man corp she's been in for pretty much the whole of her career.

I should mention that unlike in your case, I have had zero prodding, nagging or eye-rolling from any of the other alliance people about my special snowflake ways, and I absolutely love them for that.

So yeah, bottom line - if this change would make you uncomfortable, stick to Nobilita Nera. It sounds like you're doing great with Silas as it is.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2013, 10:43 »

If the idea of changing corps and joining another does not bother you and you can see the merit in it, feel free to go ahead and try it. Could even put a holding-alt in it to keep the name for the future if you wish.

If the idea of changing corps and joining another makes you uneasy and bothers you because you feel you will lose something, then feel free to tell those pushing for you to change to go fuck themselves because there is no reason at all you should cave in to the requirements of others and do as THEY want at the expense of YOUR enjoyment of the game.

Always remember that and do what YOU want, because you pay for your own sub and you are responsible for your own entertainment. end of story, full stop.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2013, 11:01 »

Welcome to my world. =/
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2013, 12:04 »

Read title and first couple lines.
Hoped for "should I open recruiting?"

To answer your question.  If you're getting the fleets you want, with the RP identity you need. Why change? You have a prominent character, a notorious Sabik, and a former alliance head. It would seem like a step down to become just another employee.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2013, 12:11 »

Recruitment is open on a case-by-case basis, step into any 'recruitment center' and we'll have a chat!

Oh, don't mind the instruments on the wall, and no, these restraints are just for show!

Seriously though I am going to be adding pilots, but this will be case-by-case.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2013, 12:19 »

If the idea of changing corps and joining another does not bother you and you can see the merit in it, feel free to go ahead and try it. Could even put a holding-alt in it to keep the name for the future if you wish.

If the idea of changing corps and joining another makes you uneasy and bothers you because you feel you will lose something, then feel free to tell those pushing for you to change to go fuck themselves because there is no reason at all you should cave in to the requirements of others and do as THEY want at the expense of YOUR enjoyment of the game.

Always remember that and do what YOU want, because you pay for your own sub and you are responsible for your own entertainment. end of story, full stop.

Thanks for thoughts everyone. I think I'll stick with my corp for the time being and re-evaluate after I bring in some more pilots.

Bloodbird, while I appreciate where you are coming from, being in a leadership role for a lot of pilots occasionally  means you have to put group needs ahead of personal needs.  Streamlining organization can help a lot with corp hangars, ships, and unified fittings and assets, etc. 

I certainly won't be telling my friends to go fuck themselves, though :)

When players have a 'my way or the highway' attitude it is a short short road to being a solo player. 

One of my strongest points of pride in EVE is that although I am an absolute evil person IC and in PVP I'm generally regarded as one of the nicest and most helpful persons in my organizations. People (mostly) like being in my fleets and respect me as a mediator for inter-corp drama 'erry day.   It's like being mother hen to a bunch of bickering children sometimes but I'm generally always regarded as the true neutral to calm people the fuck down over stupidity.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2013, 12:27 »

After Makkal left 'Drakenburg,' I had her start her own, one-woman hauling/mining corp.* I too know the joy of being your own boss, though her RP bona fides are far fewer than Silas'.

1. It doesn't make sense for Silas to not be the HBIC.
2. Your corp window will be full of non-RP chatter.
3. You'll end up getting even more responsibilities. This is unavoidable. This might not be something you want.

*Sadly, no one ever wardocced me. :(
« Last Edit: 01 May 2013, 12:28 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2013, 12:30 »

I have to agree with Bloodbird. But, if you do choose to join a corporation for OOC reasons, stating your case clearly can get enough handwavium so you should have no IC problems. Still, I agree when you say that being a corp leaders means putting the good of the group first, "been there, donde that, bought the t-shirt". It's nice, and great to see something built up, but it also requires a lot of effort, searching for the medium grounds, working, etc.

Quote from: Esna Pitoojee
Welcome to my world. =/

We don't pressure you to join us! But you should join PIE, though... :P

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2013, 12:41 »

Ah, I should have been clearer that my day to day would be no different, in that I am already performing all of those functions currently (leadership roles).

Mostly an identity / bookkeeping / organization sort of thing.

+10 special snowflake RP shields activate!

Friendly Inter-Alliance Troll Damage reduced by 50%

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2013, 12:45 »

You should never let others dictate your RP, a lesson I've learned the hard way.

If you want to keep the identity of Silas Vitalia through her one man corp, do so.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2013, 13:01 »

Fuck other people. Do what thou wilt shalt be the whole of the law. Go forth and roar, proud space vampire! <3  :yar:

PS. Or you could be extra fantastic and join URIEL <3
Pages: [1] 2