Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider recruits are trained in close-quarters combat before tactics and starship combat? (The Burning Life, p. 54)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interest Check: Non-conventional gameplay  (Read 2434 times)

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
Interest Check: Non-conventional gameplay
« on: 23 Apr 2013, 13:43 »

Hey folks,

Just throwing this out there, as I'm honestly curious as to if anyone would be interested.

Let me set the scene for you.

A Lvl 4 Agent mission has just been accepted....now we can go one of 2 ways here, imo...

1) Single person goes out and completes mission in single BS, this is done every day in New Eden 1,000 times over.

2)  A fleet is formed.  This fleet is not all battleships but a combination of frigs, dessies, cruisers, BCs, and BSes.  There's an FC that actually treats it as a combat roam, setting off targets and the like.  After the battle has ended, B squad warps in to collect the resources from the Deadspace pocket.  B squad delivers the goods to the station, where the station-side workers (traders/industrialists) start to pick over what is there, tallying the amount to be paid to the people involved.  Then comes their role, where they sell off the (pilfered?) goods to the highest bidder.

I prefer option 2....the idea of truly social gaming in the sense of unity of community.  Community PvE and a sense of everyone matters in the process.

THIS IS NOT EFFICIENT!  I repeat...THIS IS NOT EFFICIENT!

That being said...I think it'd be fun, and isn't that why we play games anyway?

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
Re: Interest Check: Non-conventional gameplay
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2013, 13:56 »

It is not efficient because it is a Level 4 mission, presumably in high-sec, that you're using as your example.

I have however been in wormhole fleets engaging in PVE in exactly the way you describe. I have not been part of any counter-incursion fleet (in some part because my two most-used characters are Sansha loyalists themselves), but from what I've gathered, those are coordinated efforts as well.

This kind of PVE does exist and is efficient. Just not so much in Level 4 missions. There's of course absolutely nothing preventing you from running level 4 fleets anyway, of course. Find a bunch of people to do it with, and have a blast.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2013, 15:11 »

Fleeting up for mission running can be a good way to get a new pilot used to the fleet interface and also with details of comms discipline and movement techniques. It also passes the time better than solo work.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2013, 15:20 »

I agree with both posts put up here.

I guess what I'm asking is, is anyone interested in fleeting up with me?  Given that I'm new to combat, it'd probably be fleets of Frigs thrashing lvl 1s....but....

I don't know, I'd be even willing to put in the administration work for this, turn it into a thing, but if I do it alone, kinda defeats the purpose, no?

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2013, 15:36 »

I guess what I'm asking is, is anyone interested in fleeting up with me?  Given that I'm new to combat, it'd probably be fleets of Frigs thrashing lvl 1s....but....

I don't know, I'd be even willing to put in the administration work for this, turn it into a thing, but if I do it alone, kinda defeats the purpose, no?

Ain't necessarily so Techie. Since NPC ships started eating drones for breakfast having a fleetmate in a frigate or destroyer for anti-tackle work makes a lot of sense. Fleeting with someone doing Level 4's to build standings is not exactly unknown either.

As for someone willing to fly with you. That entirely depends on who your character is loyal to & where they fly.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2013, 15:37 »

Also, battleship fleets can be used to fly lvl 5 missions, if you watch your butts for probes (they're lowsec only).

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2013, 15:39 »

Ain't necessarily so Techie. Since NPC ships started eating drones for breakfast having a fleetmate in a frigate or destroyer for anti-tackle work makes a lot of sense. Fleeting with someone doing Level 4's to build standings is not exactly unknown either.

As for someone willing to fly with you. That entirely depends on who your character is loyal to & where they fly.

Honestly, there's a part of me that wants to be raw "merc" to give the greatest amount of folks a chance in on this idea....I had how it'd work in mission set up, not exactly how to do the logistics of the rp, lol

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2013, 16:18 »

Stormcrows actually does a bit of co-op mission running. Mostly involving the newer people in the corp, but I'm fairly sure people would be receptive to proper small-gang mission running overall. And the corp does the merc-outlook angle already, so mission running on all sides of EVE is perfectly viable.

Feel free to drop into the Exiles Social Club channel (that's basically the Stormcrows OOC public channel) and say hello. My own presence there is rather spotty at the moment, but Jude and Mac are usually on every day I believe, and the corp in general has gotten more active lately.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2013, 16:21 »

I've done this before in Omerta and Re-Aw, and it's a huge pile of fun. If you're bringing something like a BS and a couple of cruisers to a L4 mission, you can typically blow through them quite a bit faster, too - the BS can concentrate on being a BS and killing enemy BSes, while the cruisers mop up the smaller ships. Small ships scoot-n-loot much faster, too, so it's a win all around. I don't think any of us ever made it to the point where we broke even versus simply each of us doing our own solo L4, but it was close and also much more fun.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2013, 19:56 »

We did exactly this in null the other day. Netted ourselves a nice A-Type invulnerability field that sold for nearly 2billion.

I'm not sure doing it for highsec level 4's would generate the income - but at the end of the day, play the game the way you enjoy!

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2013, 20:55 »

Thanks for the words of support folks!

I intend to play the game how it's fun for me, sadly though...it seems I find myself at a conundrum.  I like unconventional gameplay, but I hate playing EVE as a Single Player Online Game...so I'm still trying to find those other kooks like me!

:)

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:42 »

We've done a few fleeted level fours, with BCs and cruisers (some of which may be T2).

Desiderya

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2013, 08:25 »

If you're having fun do it.
L4 grinding can be tedious, and when your motivation isn't exactly to fund the next plex for the account you should do what is fun for you. ISK is one of the main means to have fun in EVE, so consider it trading possible isk/hour for fun/hour. ;)

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2013, 09:43 »

I remember back when I started out, I fell in with a group of fellow newbies who tagged along with a Domi pilot on a level 4, because we wanted to see what it was like.  And we were both totally amazed that there were all these battleships in there firing at the Domi, and the Domi was just taking all of it.  At the time, it was amazing. 

I'd say go for it. 

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2013, 09:18 »

I love this kind of idea, more in-space interaction ftw.
The problems I have found are the general issues with recruiting in EVE and to be more specific finding people who do not mind losing out on ISK for the fun of social interaction. Obviously in say a WH or when doing an otherwise impossible for you escalation/site there is enough profit for even min/maxers but in an easy highsec DED or mission the participants just need to accept they will lose out on potential ISK.
Just a matter of finding good people and building friendships I imagine, good luck man. Should you find yourself in the Solitude region and not be beefing with the syndicate I would happily invite you for anything me and mine are up to.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...
Pages: [1] 2