Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On APB  (Read 3931 times)

Goshien

• Wetgraver
On APB
« on: 17 Jul 2010, 12:19 »

So I got some new games, got really fucking busy, took some time off to get unbusy, and let my eve sub run out cause I wasn't using it. Then I was broke so I wasn't putting it back on anyway.

I love me some shooter, but I have a problem. The multiplayer aspect, while offering me the chance to smash peoples faces in, stagnates too easily. Let's face it, repetitive objectives, small number of maps, these are really hallmarks of the shooter. Problem arises in that once I've done it a couple times, I've done it a million times. 

So here comes APB, the shooter-mmo thing that's like grand theft auto dumbed down, but for a million people. Sounds like a great city to live in right? Chaos, explosions, cops arresting all us dastardly crooks. Us crooks stealing, killing, whatever. So let's slap down that MMO part right now. Since you pretty much group up with like 4 people max. You only fight whoever's in your mission so it's not like there is a giant battle going on. I can see why this kind of ruleset would be an option, but not the only one. Eve you can keep fleeting till the server crashes. WoW can go up to 25 people per group, and the fights can be large as well as small. Hence the massively part cause there can be a lot of people involved in any one thing. APB here doesn't have it.

So we are left with just a shooter. The games redeeming aspects are the minor amount of upgrades, and the massive character customization. But that's still right there. This is another failed try at mixing a shooter and a mmo. Why is this so god damn difficult? Story for another time. Point is APB was fun, but ultimately it ends up on the shelf. And sooner then some other shooters.

Time to reactivate eve.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: On APB
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2010, 12:31 »

That sucks. I had been following APB closely through it's entire development, but as it progressed, the issues you mention started to become apparent. Disappointing, to be sure.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2010, 15:45 »

They're doing a lot of work to improve it. I expect big things in the future, and moderate things now. It's a lot of fun if you have a dedicated group playing though.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2010, 18:14 »

Slight correction: In WoW you can get up to 40 people together. It's just the end-game raid instances that are capped at 25.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2010, 18:48 »

I'm not super optimistic, but in their defense, Eve was a mess at first (yes, even compared to how it is now) and it managed to hang on through the rough start.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2010, 22:54 »

(yes, even compared to how it is now)
I lol'd

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Jozana

• Clonejack
  • Invicta. (Cry Havoc.)
Re: [Character] Verone
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2010, 16:04 »

Okay... So I've been playing some APB recently, and decided I quite like their character creation system.

...So I went out and updated Ethan's bio image with a more accurate representation of him using APB's awesome avatar creation tools.

Link has been updated in the OP.  :D

That is pretty cool, nice one. :)

Makes me have to ask though: what is APB?  :P

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2010, 16:56 »

Don't make me buy APB just for the character creation now...

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2010, 16:57 »

Okay... So I've been playing some APB recently, and decided I quite like their character creation system.

...So I went out and updated Ethan's bio image with a more accurate representation of him using APB's awesome avatar creation tools.

Link has been updated in the OP.  :D

That is pretty cool, nice one. :)

Makes me have to ask though: what is APB?  :P

All Points Bulletin.

It's basically a take on Grand Theft Auto, but as an MMO.

It just went live from beta. It's a bit full of holes and hacks at present but it's awesome fun if you don't take it too seriously.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2010, 17:02 »

Also they're doing a lot of work to try to unfuck it from the aforementioned holes and whatnot. The devs make me feel that the game has long-term promise.

Don't go into it unless you have a number of friends to play with, or you will get bored.

Also the character creation is cool in and of itself, but you have no idea until you see the tools it has for creating tattoos, clothing patterns, and car designs. Oh, and music.

It has them all. That alone makes the game worth it. Especially when you consider that you can do that part endlessly, and you only have to pay-to-play for the pewpewpew sections of the game, and if you make good enough ingame crap you can actually sell it for the credits you use to buy game time.

Since they do an odd P2P setup. Basically you buy the game and you get (I think) 30 hours in the combat zones. Then after that you can either pay a whole month up front for unlimited time, or you can buy hours in allotment, so if you don't play it much, you can microtransaction your way to victory.

I still need to pick it up though. :P I wish they'd merge the US/EU servers though. :/

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2010, 17:29 »

Verone, do you know if one can run the creator functions in the APB client while offline?

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2010, 23:50 »

Verone, do you know if one can run the creator functions in the APB client while offline?

You could not in the beta, no. Because you had to be online in order to receive all the data as well as save updated data.

Not Verone, but I have played it and will be picking it up again when it goes on sale. :P

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2010, 10:36 »

To digress somewhat, APB comes from some of the developers of Crackdown and Crackdown 2. If you've played Crackdown 2, you'll see that it's just the same game but with zombies and no gangs, so I don't see how APB will change from it's current lackluster rating. I do hope it becomes fun though, and add some actual hitboxes ffs.

Verone, you are now the most epic thing that has happened to EVE. I would buy APB just to make a character, so thanks for the subconscious plug-in.  8)

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2010, 11:12 »

The character creation is just the tip of the creation iceberg in that game. Also, it's the same company but a different dev team. They've been pushing a lot for user ideas and working to find ways to incorporate them, that would be the primary factor for why I think that it has good potential.

Goshien

• Wetgraver
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2010, 07:31 »

I'm still broke as shit (literally like 0 dollars.) So I've been using my already gotten time in APB more in lieu of playing eve, as I cannot afford 15 bucks to reactivate, embarrassing as that is.

By the way I did run into a character named Verone. Whether that was Verone or not I dunno, but gunning him down was oddly satisfying.
Pages: [1] 2