Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the connections inside a pod serve as both communications pathways and security wiring? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Sci-fi essentials (seeking recommendations)  (Read 5411 times)

Jonathan Morrison

• Clonejack
Re: Sci-fi essentials (seeking recommendations)
« Reply #30 on: 06 Aug 2010, 09:12 »

Harry Turtledove - *Not sci-fi really, but good reads in anycase*
World at War series (WWII but with dragons, magic, etc).
Guns of The South.
Atlantis (think there are a few to this one can't remember).

Dan Abnett -
Gaunt's Ghosts; 12 books long now that he released Blood Pact, but the previous 11 are in 3 omnibus/trilogy books which make for cheap buying and easier collecting.
Eisenhorn and Ravenor Omnibus's are also great reads (Currently half-way through Ravenor); Ravenor is a continuation of Eisenhonr basically.

William King -
Gotrek and Felix Omnibus's - 3 omnibus's for a total of like 10 books; although the last couple are written by Nathan Long. Essentially a stark, dark, scary, and comedic accounting of a Slayer Dwarf and a Human Bard (more warrior, but it works). Also just dumps you straight into it without any precursor as to what's going on. *I know it's fantasy but it's really good stuff!*
Space Wolves Omnibus's - 2 omnibus's total for 6 books until more are released on the side. Follows Ragnar Blackmane, a space marine through trials and tribulations. Very visceral and gritty stuff.

Orson Scott Card -
Ender's Game - I've read all of this storyline as far as I know which is something like 8 books.
Ender's Shadow - The side story for one of the characters Bean, I've got all of these up to Shadow of The Giant, not sure if he's released anymore.

Fiona Patton - *Again not sci-fi but great reads*
Granite Shield, Golden Sword, Stone Prince, Painter Knight. All taken place in medieval England and Wales but with a slight metaphysical spice to it all. They all take place during different periods of time, but are really good reads; I've read all of them at least 5 or 6 times each if not more.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2010, 09:15 by Jonathan Morrison »

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #31 on: 06 Aug 2010, 13:20 »

Sci-fi Essentials? Dune series ...

Bought the book "Dune" to read on my week holiday away from home. I am only two thirds done, but I have to recommend this book everyone.

A simply amazing setting. I wont go into any depth, because that would merit its very own thread, but the book details a Noble Houses move to a desert planet on request from the Emperor. The depth of culture that exists on this planet, Arakis, has made me rethink just how different the culture on each planet within New Eden would be totally different to other planets, even within even the same solar system.

Different customs, different interpretations of the same religious systems. I had always just painted planetary culture with one broad brush depending on where it was situated. Makes me think of the less frequented low sec planets a lot differently now.

Jonathan Morrison

• Clonejack
« Reply #32 on: 06 Aug 2010, 15:19 »

Sci-fi Essentials? Dune series ...

Bought the book "Dune" to read on my week holiday away from home. I am only two thirds done, but I have to recommend this book everyone.

A simply amazing setting. I wont go into any depth, because that would merit its very own thread, but the book details a Noble Houses move to a desert planet on request from the Emperor. The depth of culture that exists on this planet, Arakis, has made me rethink just how different the culture on each planet within New Eden would be totally different to other planets, even within even the same solar system.

Different customs, different interpretations of the same religious systems. I had always just painted planetary culture with one broad brush depending on where it was situated. Makes me think of the less frequented low sec planets a lot differently now.

That's why I love the WarHammer 40000 books, especially the Imperial Guard and Inquisition books as it shows how different every world is from one another even within same solar systems across the galaxy.

deMangler

• Clonejack
« Reply #33 on: 29 Aug 2010, 03:12 »

Have to agree with some of these recomendations, especially Charlie Stross and of course the Ender series.
Also, anyone who likes Stross will love Ken Mcleod.
There is one glaring omission here however, especially given the posthumanist angle in EVE...

Greg Egan, probably one of the best hard SF writers ever. Also great characterisation with some rich moral implications of advanced technology angles.....
Anyway, [rant]everyone must read his stuff!!![/rant]
 :roll:
IC -: LS-RP
-------------------
OOC -:
Pages: 1 2 [3]