Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front's "rampant griffin" corp logo was adopted after the pro-Federation corp The Durandal Organization created a logo using motifs similar to the ILF's original logo?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Earth IC references  (Read 4995 times)

Lyn Farel

Earth IC references
« on: 17 Mar 2011, 13:59 »

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1482522&page=2

I suppose this has already been brought up a lot of times, though I firstly can't find back any thread about that and secondly I am not sure if everyone has the same opinion about it.

So, what do our characters know of what existed before the Eve gate ? And Earth (the home world) ?

Maybe it is just me but I find it very unprobable and quite borderline.

KJLLV

Benjamin Shepherd

Re: Earth IC references
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2011, 14:19 »

Well, countless generations of lore could mean that a few hundred people know about Earth, either by having some sort of heirloom in a vacuum-sealed environment, or studying anthropology that leads to very primitive ideas of Earth culture.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2011, 14:20 »

*sigh*

Not everybody seems to have gotten the "so far in the future that Earth is no longer even a distant memory, never mind that we've still got a pack of semi-obscure Terran gods and goddesses populating our fleets" memo.

References to Earth: bad, m'kay?

Ancient mythology, however, apparently made the jump (which is actually fair enough, much as I might grouse a little about it: monsters and gods tend to sort of stick in the human imagination in a way nation states generally don't). So that's all right.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2011, 14:25 »

I think it's fine to note that humanity clearly evolved on some single planet, never mind which one, rather than the same species independently arising in different places.

And I think it's also fine to note that some groups (SoE, etc.) specifically believe that humanity came through the EVE Gate.

Beyond that, specifics can get silly. Sure, myths have survived and formed and evolved (see the description on the Wolf, for example), but that's to be expected: how many cultural features in our own societies predate writing, for example? Certainly some elements of storytelling and whatnot do, though I've rapidly just now exceeded anything remotely related to my own expertise.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2011, 14:50 »

I think it's fine to note that humanity clearly evolved on some single planet, never mind which one, rather than the same species independently arising in different places.
From an RP perspective though this is going to (obviously) create some clashes. No Minmatar in their right mind is going to willfully admit that their place-of-origin was the same as the Amarr. Same goes for more hardline Caldari and the Gallente.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2011, 15:00 »

I mentioned Earth on purpose in the preface to my Hitchhiker's Guide because sometimes newcomers do not realize that in an OOC sense, Earth is where everyone in New Eden ultimately came from and per the storyline the cluster's entire human population is descended from and connected to our real world.  Highlighting that fact draws attention to the absence of typical sci-fi aliens in EVE.  In an IC sense, I speculate that the name "Earth" may still endure in various creation myths and could have even become popular as a setting for fantasy fiction while the true meaning of the name is completely lost.  In this way, the names "Eden" and "Earth" have effectively switched places in the cultural vocabulary of the EVE universe as compared to our own.  

Saying that, it does not stand that any but the most hard line faction loyalists (hyper-devout Amarrians, for instance) would cling to a theory of independent human evolution on the homeworlds of New Eden in the face of what must be staggering archaeological evidence to the effect that humans were nowhere to be found in the cluster prior to ~15000 years before the current YC date.  This is not to mention the biomedical evidence that all of New Eden's races are genetically of the same species (and let's not talk about the Jove, thank you).  The IC conclusion that humanity originated from one place and that place has yet to be (re)discovered seems irrefutable.  To reject it would probably paint you as quite the radical/nutter to the rest of the cluster's educated populace.  

Since that singular origin hasn't been found, they might as well call it "Earth", but perhaps there are different names for it in different cultures.  Maybe the Gallenteans call it "France"!  :P

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2011, 15:08 »

From an RP perspective though this is going to (obviously) create some clashes. No Minmatar in their right mind is going to willfully admit that their place-of-origin was the same as the Amarr. Same goes for more hardline Caldari and the Gallente.

I suppose that's possible, but I also think that some Minmatar/Amarr (and Gallente/Caldari) would note that they have shared origins as a species and thus the other side is clearly too (brutal/unrighteous/etc).

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2011, 15:25 »

I relate it to the myth of Atlantis. Well educated individuals with a background in history and anthropology might have an understanding of the concept, but without hard evidence it's just an idea.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2011, 15:31 »

Worth noting this from the great fiction retcon thread on EVE fiction:

Quote from: CCP Gnauton
Rewrote Chronicle “Time and the Astrologer,” fixing CONCORD timeline discrepancies, removing reference to Old Earth, fixing discrepancies with regard to the abbreviations commonly used to denote the year, and bringing the Chronicle up to date with the modern day.

According to their (new) canon, not even the five nations' greatest historians and astrologers knew enough about Earth to declare it specficially the source of their 24-hour, 365-day calendar. Instead, their sources came from "early post-collapse settlers".
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2011, 15:44 »

EDIT: I'm a dummy.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2011, 16:10 »

The Empyrean Age novel:

"EVE is the name of an ancient wormhole in the New Eden System" she explained, "It collapsed thousands of years ago, but not before our ancestors had already gone through. They were trapped here... cut off from their origins, a place we think they called 'Terra'. Whether that was one system or a cluster, nobody can say."

This is common enough knowledge for reasonably ordinary people (the character speaking is Gable, a Caldari medic) to know.

Detailed knowledge of Earth itself, I'd be a bit more sceptical about, as several groups were NOT from Earth (directly).

The ancestors of all the Athran ethnic groups (Amarr, Udorian, Khanid, Takmahl), came from Soekhiviti.
The ancestors of the Gallente ethnic group came from Tau Ceti, not France on Earth.
The ancestors of the Caldari were from an unspecified mega-corporation (quite possibly interstellar in nature).
The Yan Jung were from a Chinese-derived ethnic group of unspecified origin (Earth itself or intermediate).

This would tend to make for vague descriptions and half-remembered things very mixed together. Tau Ceti is a different colour of star from Sol, for example.
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2011, 16:18 »

Hm, the more I think about this, the more I think that considerable disagreement could still exist in New Eden.

For example, how many people today hold differing opinions on how, where, and why humanity originated?

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2011, 16:53 »

Everything I have to contribute on this subject has already been said, so I'll just point that it's obvious humanity originated as an experiment by time-traveling Jovians.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2011, 17:31 »

Pfft, you're crazy. Clearly, the Jovians are simply the agents of a higher power who's too important to interact with the universe himself. All realities are his experiments, this one simply being the one we are aware of.

Also, IC Earth references make me sad. I doubt anyone in the current EVE sphere even knows it exists.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you
Pages: [1] 2 3