Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the corp with the most holders of the Kourmonen Campaign medal, handed out by Yonis Ardishapur himself, today reside in PIE?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: London youth riots - a local's perspective  (Read 8571 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
London youth riots - a local's perspective
« on: 09 Aug 2011, 07:59 »

As a local, I can confirm this this is an accurate capture of the attitude of those who are currently rioting.

My high street is all smashed up and a lot of places have been closed. I can tell you that over the past ten years, I have grown up being surrounded by peers who have no respect for authority, or haven't been TAUGHT it by their parents. There is a phenomenon that I have witnessed in the local black community. When immigrant black mothers (not subsequent generation ones) have a baby, the father tends to do a runner. I can name at least two first-hand cases of this myself, and in all honesty I have no idea why this is, and will not even bother to pass a theory on it. One thing is certain of this, that it results in children growing up without a father figure, and thus no respect for authority. I've seen it in the way they interact with individuals like teachers and policemen. This is also another example of the very strong class divide in the UK. Accents and clothing plays a massive part in all of this (reporters have to dress up in hoodies to blend in etc)

This has been brewing up for past decade or so, I've sort of seen how the stereotypes have evolved, how the pieces have been set up before this explosion in violence. Kids are disillusioned, sure most of them are acting like tools, but they've had shit parenting. Anyone gonna blame us as being the problem? Hell no, the media won't get any viewership/readership if it did. On the other hand, rioting represents a last resort. The UK government has ultimately failed.

I honestly don't know, but authority, whether government or parents, needs to put their foot down.

(Also, this is pretty sad)
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2011, 08:14 by Seriphyn »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: London youth riots - a local's perspective
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2011, 08:25 »

The same is in Chile btw, all those students protesting about education was summarized in a simple and yet profoundly truthful phrase:

Chile paradise for personal rights, no demands for personal duties.

Therefore all those students clamoring for free education do not take into account nearly all of the schools (or universities for that matter) that are actually free have a 40% or more of their students failing attendance because both parents and kids do not consider it important.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2011, 09:57 »

And then people will learn the hard way that you don't know what you've got until it is gone. Fine, go ahead, pillage and burn all shops. See how you fare for food in say a week or two. Morons  :bash:

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2011, 10:41 »

I have to agree with Seriphyn on this.

The root of every society is the family. Morals, discipline and character all start at the family. If the family degrades, society degrades. It has been demonstrated throughout history. If families (fathers AND mothers) would accept responsibility, discipline their children and lay the foundations for a successful and disciplined lifestyle, a lot of this would disappear.

It's not a popular viewpoint, but it's based on facts, history and truth. The values, or lack thereof, that children receive at home from their parents will permeate the rest of their lives.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
\o/

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 09 Aug 2011, 13:11 »

Don't look at them it's the government's fault they're drinking!  The conserva-ives or whoever!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 09 Aug 2011, 13:21 »

I am not english native, but have seen similar sociological issues all my childhood with other children. Their education or parental education is to blame, but the primary cause takes its root deeply in economical, sociological problems and inegalities. It is not a mystery that most of them are part of the imigration or very poor families that gather dramatic financial/familial issues like magnets because of their own living conditions, often reinforced by the ghettos syndrome.

Crucifire

« Reply #7 on: 09 Aug 2011, 13:50 »

(fathers AND mothers)
Or father and father, or mother and mother. Or, I don't know, the countless single parents that have already proven to be able to lay a solid foundation of moral and ethical values in their children. It's a lot less about a specific type of family structure and more about parents not being.... well, terrible parents.

Not that I don't agree with everything else you said, I just get offended by the insinuation that a child needs a parent of each gender in order to develop into an ordinary adult. It's simply not true. These kind of statements are typically footed in religious beliefs and not real history. In actuality, the "traditional" husband-and-wife family is a (relatively) recent creation.

In any case, these chumps are doing anarchy all wrong. Hugs, not hurt!

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #8 on: 09 Aug 2011, 14:38 »

(fathers AND mothers)
Or father and father, or mother and mother. Or, I don't know, the countless single parents that have already proven to be able to lay a solid foundation of moral and ethical values in their children. It's a lot less about a specific type of family structure and more about parents not being.... well, terrible parents.

Not that I don't agree with everything else you said, I just get offended by the insinuation that a child needs a parent of each gender in order to develop into an ordinary adult. It's simply not true. These kind of statements are typically footed in religious beliefs and not real history. In actuality, the "traditional" husband-and-wife family is a (relatively) recent creation.

In any case, these chumps are doing anarchy all wrong. Hugs, not hurt!
^This
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #9 on: 09 Aug 2011, 15:17 »

(fathers AND mothers)

I think you're taking his comments out-of-context and interpreting it as anti-LGBT when he's just talking about families in general. The vast majority of couples are still heterosexual after all, and nowhere in this subject matter are we talking about LGBT.

And no, the single parenting thing hasn't worked, especially those are have been forced to rely on the welfare system. We're seeing the results of a substandard family background here in these riots.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #10 on: 09 Aug 2011, 15:21 »

Thank you Seriphyn.

My words were not meant to offend, I was simply emphasizing that it is not the fault of one parent or the other, it is a fault of both. Apply that to whatever situations you want to apply it to, it remains truth. Even in single parenting, where the one parent has to try and fill both roles.

I apologize for the confusion.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 09 Aug 2011, 18:16 »

Peasants.  A field of peasants (Vaari, 2007)

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #12 on: 09 Aug 2011, 20:52 »

So when are they gonna start shooting rubber bullets? People who act like animals aren't gonna disperse with fierce language and rhetoric- they have to learn the hard way, and quite frankly,  all I see in all the videos are cops fleeing from gangs of rioters. It doesn't look very good.

Crucifire

« Reply #13 on: 09 Aug 2011, 21:10 »

Thank you Seriphyn.

My words were not meant to offend, I was simply emphasizing that it is not the fault of one parent or the other, it is a fault of both. Apply that to whatever situations you want to apply it to, it remains truth. Even in single parenting, where the one parent has to try and fill both roles.

I apologize for the confusion.
No probalo dude, thanks for the clarification.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #14 on: 10 Aug 2011, 01:21 »

So when are they gonna start shooting rubber bullets? People who act like animals aren't gonna disperse with fierce language and rhetoric- they have to learn the hard way, and quite frankly,  all I see in all the videos are cops fleeing from gangs of rioters. It doesn't look very good.

My understanding is that the ROEs/SOPs (Rules of Engagement/Standard Operating Procedures) are much tighter when it comes to weapons-release authority in England. Maybe Seriphyn can speak more to that; my knowledge is secondhand.

I don't know where you live Doyle, but by comparison to foreign countries I've been to law enforcement in the US is much faster to wheel up the heavy artillery in confronting protesters. I was stationed in South Korea during the height of the 2008 Beef Riots and we had ringside seats for the entire affair. Cops there simply did not have the political backing or tools in their arsenal to effectively confront protesters.

The US trust in the ROK cops was so low that everyone on our base was required to have auxiliary security force training; I think the Base CO seriously expected the local cops to run if a riot broke out near our base. Our understanding was that if local cops failed and protesters started coming over the base walls (bear in mind this is South Korea, a nominal ally), you opened up with live ammo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5