EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE Character Development

So...What should I do?

(1/13) > >>

Saede Riordan:
Inbound rant. You have been warned.

I'm sure most of you are aware of who my character is, but for those who need a recap, Nikita is roboticist and a cyberneticist,  she is a sort of capsular without a capsule. Through a series of events within her backstory, Nikita developed...damaged, she refuses to stay within her pod, despite the fact that the system she has rigged up instead of it is not nearly as safe, her ship is entirely automated through her own expense of leg work, combined with powerful AIs and enough drones and robots to colonize a planet.

That's my character, yes, she breaks some of the 'rules' that seem to have been laid down in eve RP, even though the RP is freeform, and there really are no rules. Now, I don't want to play a different character, I've put a lot of time, and energy creating a character that is human, and has flaws, and isn't a Mary Sue. Everything written into her backstory is completely plausible in the eve universe, I read pretty much all the eve fiction I could get my hands on before I made her, and I even went through the item database to figure out what items she could cannibalize to do the things she is doing.

I think I did a pretty good job. Evidently, according to some people, a pretty good job isn't good enough, and well thought out and unique translates to bad, and stupid. So I must ask, what is wrong with my character? Why am I being told by multiple people that the entire premise of my character is bad, and that I should just completely start over?

I'm not willing to completely redesign my character, I LIKE her, so what do I do? Should I just stop roleplaying because the sandbox isn't big enough for my ideas? Should I what? What do I do?

Milo Caman:
Honestly, do whatever you want with your character. If people have an issue with it, let them rant. I've heard a few things regarding this (Am still pretty Hazy) and it sounds like a lot of people also have no issues with it.

I'm of the opinion that people should be able to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't impact upon the freedoms of others. RP'ing a character different from the 'norm' doesn't harm anyone, or It shouldn't.

Stay on track, and props for creating an interesting and significantly different character.  :)

Nakatre Read:
Just keep doing what you're doing. There's nothing wrong with being out of the ordinary, and you should just ignore those people who criticize it.

Kaldor Mintat:
While i have not interacted with you ic as i can recall here is my 5 cents:

Yes, some of th things you have written in your post do not perhaps conform totally to pf. so what really? Its nothing major as i can see.

As always bottomline is that YOU should have fun.

Kaleigh Doyle:
I hate to be the piss in the proverbial Cheerios, but im guessing you're looking for constructive advice, not an orgy of roleplay diversity acceptance.

One thing to consider are the ramifications of not being in your pod. What if you ARE podded and say they have your corpse? If people had the power to control ships that remotely, why are ANY of us in the damned things? Personally, I find the implications far too great to be immersive for me, and I'd probably ignore interaction altogether.

HOWEVER, I do think this has tremendous potential if approached differently. What about a psychological disorder like a phobia for drowning or claustrophobia; some kind of disorder that adds some flaw or weakness to the character. Seeing how people overcome these kinds of hurdles to achieve their goals can be fascinating and rewarding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version