Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanids were fellow settlers alongside the Amarrians on Athra, better known today as Amarr Prime? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: GLORIOUS HOMEWORLD REMASTERED  (Read 7369 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
GLORIOUS HOMEWORLD REMASTERED
« on: 26 Jan 2015, 14:50 »

They sort of 'sploded.

I'm all for the "no preordering" thing we're generally doing as gamers these days, but sometimes you just have to say fuck all ya'll, and throw that money at the monitor.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
GLORIOUS HOMEWORLD REMASTERED
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2015, 15:16 »

Lyn Farel

Re: God damnit, these were new pants!
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2015, 15:21 »

Ok that looks better than the original ones, especially the first one, but... Tbh i am far from impressed. It is awesome to see all those iconic moments that i love, but...  :?:

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
Re: GLORIOUS HOMEWORLD REMASTERED
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2015, 22:27 »

[mod]Merged topics. Also: Weeeee.[/mod]
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2015, 20:26 »

I came.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2015, 02:26 »

The good thing is that it will bring the game into the spotlight again and thats good.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2015, 02:56 »

I'd say the good thing is the fairly major upgrades letting us play the game on modern systems, with modern resolutions and aspect ratios, with new and functional multiplayer and so on and so forth. Remastered audio, better textures, redone voice work in some cases for that matter.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2015, 03:02 »

As graphics are among the least important things in making a good game, I do not see why I should not just play the originals instead.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Demion Samenel

• Commander
  • Egger
    • 4TH blog
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2015, 04:00 »

This is shiny

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2015, 04:46 »

As graphics are among the least important things in making a good game, I do not see why I should not just play the originals instead.

Because the originals are almost unplayable on modern systems, requiring enormous amounts of work. They also need a lot of work to get the multiplayer working, etc etc.

This remastered version also include the originals, only modified to work on modern systems, should you be a purist.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2015, 10:37 »

I'd say the good thing is the fairly major upgrades letting us play the game on modern systems, with modern resolutions and aspect ratios, with new and functional multiplayer and so on and so forth. Remastered audio, better textures, redone voice work in some cases for that matter.

If the first games were like in 2D and dating back from like 1990 and whatnot i would be like omg a modern version but here... If its just a few textures and audio....  :|

For the difficulty to play them on modern systems though damn i did'nt know that... And for the MP part, even if MP is actually like 2% - 5% of the players in RTS and 4X games (so not much at all), that's good !

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2015, 11:57 »

The thing about certain games is not the graphics or the audio or anything like that, it is that the Design Team just hit some magical combination of design features and balance.

This is Homeworld. For some reason the combination of story/gameplay is nigh-perfect and the sad fact that we leave such games behind as our systems change is very sad.

Thus far, it is stand-out in it's genre. Nobody has beaten it. The same can be said with MOO2.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2015, 12:32 »

I tended to think the same when it came to graphics, but frankly once you got into the 3D modeled era... things quickly started aging horribly. For instance, I was watching the original Homeworld intros and the pixelsoup on the low-poly models were glaringly bad. Those are horrible textures and I frankly have to say the new footage makes the experience seem far superior at the moment.

While graphics aren't the end-all be-all, they do matter in some games. There are exceptions of course, like Fallout 3/NV in my opinion. There they hit a very sweet spot where the engine, the design work and so on just fitted perfectly together to simply look gorgeous no matter how long it has aged. It fits the style and it is a very pleasant experience even entirely unmodded to me.

Homeworld though... I don't think I could play it as the original anymore. The setting and game just doesn't have the same quality where it just -works- regardless of graphical fidelity.

Games can transcend the aging graphics in many cases, but I don't think I'll ever agree with those who say that it doesn't matter. It most certainly does matter, even if it's not always the most important part.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2015, 12:49 »

For me it matters too. After all it is my work and what i work on all day long...

But homeworld textures are not horrible, they are low res by now standards but still with an awesome art direction that got blandly copied again and again afterwards by most scify space ops...

I would personally feel more the need to upgrade 3D models for third person or first person games, which are the ones aging the most... It is not a secret why it is easier to play to an old 4X like MoO graphics wise than a thing like fallout... Imo.

Edit : to clarify i am very happy to see that game getting a bit of cosmetics added to the true additions like working on current systems, but it seems to be thing these days to 'remaster' games by just making them available on steam or whatnot and charging the customer full price for that... GoG does it for ridiculously low amounts of money and i am certainly not going to praise gearbox until i see their price. My gripe is that in its current state, loking a lo better than the original or not, it just look like what any serious mod would do to a game... I generally would expect a remastered version done by a professional studio to bring more than that, like new camera controls ( which was terrible in HW1), UI tweaks up to today standards, etc. Then we would be able to actually criticize in a good or bad way, compare to the originals...
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2015, 13:09 by Lyn Farel »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2015, 13:18 »

While I'm happy for the re-release and the visual updates I'm going to pass. I think it will be a nice experience for those unfamiliar or for a trip down memory lane.

I don't know if the RTS gameplay would hold up to today's scrutiny, also I seem to recall some extremely unbalanced tactics for multiplayer that weren't addressed (but this was 15 years ago memory a bit hazy).

This was kind of that first, wonderful 3d engine RTS that blew me away with a compelling storyline, atmosphere, and amazing visuals. 

I'd be more interested in a new game carrying on that tradition!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4