Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sansha Kuvakei was an industrial mogul before founding his Nation? Moar here.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Who's left in RP?  (Read 32250 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Who's left in RP?
« Reply #90 on: 04 Jul 2014, 12:30 »

You need RP corps that can project power measured in more than mining yield.

You need to build a corp that focuses and excels at a specific area of the game that also happens to roleplay a corp-defined alignment. Coreli Corp, I-RED, PYRE, TSF, Gradient, PIE, Veto, Moira, and others are all examples of this. Notice that most of what I listed at PvP centric, because they are memorable. You remember losing that ship to those groups, because not only did they kill you, but they rubbed it in with roleplay.

PvP gains you the most notoriety the fastest. Mining nets negligible notoriety, if any at all. Those are two extremes of the popularity spectrum for RP corps. When you are capable of projecting military power whether it be in the form of small but brutally efficient hunter gangs like Pyre, or comparatively overwhelming fleets (including allies) dropped from a titan like I-RED - people notice that. When you sit in an asteroid belt quietly and buzz away at the rocks, people tend to forget.

The key to all of this however is building a group of players who place that gaming skill first, and the roleplay second. I-RED didn't buy a titan by roleplaying it. We didn't 'evict' several Syndicate alliances by yelling at them in the Summit or IGS. We did it by learning (slowly and painfully) how to PvP and building a large number of non-roleplayers to do it with. We also just happened to roleplay at the alliance level. Did you know very little RP goes on inside our alliance?

Yet despite our lack of actual roleplaying, people remember our big conflicts as hallmarks of good roleplay. It wasn't because we cared about that. It was because we wanted to blow your shit up, and Dear Glorious Leader of the Corporate People's Democratic Republik Liberation I-RED, The Lord Grand Admiral Jonathan Ballsworth "Fucking" Revenent Sr. XVIII also happened to shitpost on the IGS a few times while succeeding triumphantly or failing miserably at a specific PvP campaign.

We posted while we pewed. That's really all it took. Acting like all our random ideas for shooting shit and taking stuff was because it was roleplay. I'd be willing to bet it's the same for the others too.

So stop looking for the roleplay fights. You won't find it. Just go shoot something, and pretend it's for the Fed.
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2014, 12:32 by Katrina Oniseki »

Shiori

« Reply #91 on: 13 Jul 2014, 05:30 »

I'm pretty sure that any kind of activity can be interesting and respected, so long as you're conscious of its place in the order of things, and play it to the hilt. I'm sure you could figure out how to project power through mining yield, or gain notoriety and respect purely through "soft power" and diplomacy, if you put your mind to it.

The main thing to realize is that EVE, as a game, is very heavily leaning away from escapist fantasy and towards being an alternate universe your characters happen to inhabit. Share a little more than a corp ticker and project something, anything other than Summit drama, and you'll be fine.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #92 on: 13 Jul 2014, 05:52 »

EVE RP, The Summit, OOC channel, forums, everything, summed up:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
\o/

Shiori

« Reply #93 on: 13 Jul 2014, 06:08 »

(The up side to everything sucking is it should be easy to stand out from the background levels of suck, right?)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #94 on: 13 Jul 2014, 07:58 »

[ 2012.10.27 18:28:24 ] Graelyn > We're all falling back to the Alamo.
 [ 2012.10.27 18:28:33 ] Graelyn > This is it tho.
 [ 2012.10.27 18:28:42 ] Graelyn > Once we're done here, Amarr rP is over.

Further explanation was:
It's not just the Amarr guys. Most factions are down to one or two groups now.
People have to want to do this sort of thing in EVE, we can't go out and make them.

That was 2012.

Has anything changed for the better ?

Most factions still only look as if they have one or two groups. In some cases, zero.
\o/

Odelya

« Reply #95 on: 14 Jul 2014, 13:34 »

When my doctoral thesis is in print, Odelya will bring some fresh madness back to the field!

:yar:

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #96 on: 14 Jul 2014, 13:48 »

When my doctoral thesis is in print, Odelya will bring some fresh madness back to the field!

:yar:

Oh no.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #97 on: 14 Jul 2014, 14:10 »

You need RP corps that can project power measured in more than mining yield.

You need to build a corp that focuses and excels at a specific area of the game that also happens to roleplay a corp-defined alignment. Coreli Corp, I-RED, PYRE, TSF, Gradient, PIE, Veto, Moira, and others are all examples of this. Notice that most of what I listed at PvP centric, because they are memorable. You remember losing that ship to those groups, because not only did they kill you, but they rubbed it in with roleplay.

PvP gains you the most notoriety the fastest. Mining nets negligible notoriety, if any at all. Those are two extremes of the popularity spectrum for RP corps. When you are capable of projecting military power whether it be in the form of small but brutally efficient hunter gangs like Pyre, or comparatively overwhelming fleets (including allies) dropped from a titan like I-RED - people notice that. When you sit in an asteroid belt quietly and buzz away at the rocks, people tend to forget.

The key to all of this however is building a group of players who place that gaming skill first, and the roleplay second. I-RED didn't buy a titan by roleplaying it. We didn't 'evict' several Syndicate alliances by yelling at them in the Summit or IGS. We did it by learning (slowly and painfully) how to PvP and building a large number of non-roleplayers to do it with. We also just happened to roleplay at the alliance level. Did you know very little RP goes on inside our alliance?

Yet despite our lack of actual roleplaying, people remember our big conflicts as hallmarks of good roleplay. It wasn't because we cared about that. It was because we wanted to blow your shit up, and Dear Glorious Leader of the Corporate People's Democratic Republik Liberation I-RED, The Lord Grand Admiral Jonathan Ballsworth "Fucking" Revenent Sr. XVIII also happened to shitpost on the IGS a few times while succeeding triumphantly or failing miserably at a specific PvP campaign.

We posted while we pewed. That's really all it took. Acting like all our random ideas for shooting shit and taking stuff was because it was roleplay. I'd be willing to bet it's the same for the others too.

So stop looking for the roleplay fights. You won't find it. Just go shoot something, and pretend it's for the Fed.

Yeah definitely all of this, take Alexylva Paradox for another example. We established ourselves by our actual actions in space, not by waving our arms in RP chats. We went out and got our ships blown up, we took space and defend it. We dropped towers, we stuck our necks out and put ourselves in a position where if someone really wanted to, they could destroy us. To me, that makes what we do feel all that much more real and tangible in RP. I can fly to the planets I say I own, and if anyone else tries to go there, I can shoot them, that's huge, that really gives us a footprint that I feel a lot of corps lack. If your group does nothing but like, mission run and mine in highsec, then your impact on the universe, and other people's ability to impact you, is rather minor. The way I see it, that makes a lot of what you do just not very relevant to a lot of others. You won't find good engaging RP conflict through a chatbox, although good conflict outside of the chatbox will often spill over into it. I know most of my corp's interaction with the people we run into in wormholes is almost always psuedo-roleplay. Its easy, when we negotiate to allow someone passage? That can easily become a sort of RP.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #98 on: 14 Jul 2014, 14:29 »

my point was, for many factions, there is one and only one group that does that kind of RP.

And, in some instances, the players behind that group are not necessarily well liked for OOC reasons.

So, if say, you are interested in Angel Cartel rp, but people have told you that the person in charge of the only Cartel group is a jerk, then, well, you're out of luck, for the most part. You sign up with them, you get ostracised by the other groups.

Or just timezone awkwardness. Like, afaik, TS-F are mostly US. If you're European timezone, you don't have much option for Sansha rp.

Or, on the flip side, anti-sansha rp.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2014, 14:38 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #99 on: 14 Jul 2014, 15:05 »

so start something new yourself?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #100 on: 14 Jul 2014, 16:02 »

I've probably made more RP "content" (and had some of it made into PF), than almost anyone else who doesn't actually work for CCP.

Someone else can do it for a change.

But they won't. People aren't interested if someone says "hey guys, lets do X".

Only if it's a CCP event actor.

You can't get a dozen of the Sani Sabik players to group up for a t1 frigate lolfleet, but you can get scores of players to lose millions of ISK worth of ships, if a CCP actor says "follow mee to derperee!"
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #101 on: 14 Jul 2014, 19:37 »

You can definitely get people interested in what you're doing. That's how I built my corp. It was a long process, and it was hard, and it was slow, but we've built a pretty awesome group of people. Its totally doable, its just not easy.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #102 on: 15 Jul 2014, 03:11 »

I spent few months conducting a personal experiment that some described as trolling. I came to the conclusion that the vast majority of RP in Eve isn't actually so much RP as much as OOC dramas and conflicts taken into RP with the thin veneer of it being, "In-character." Looking back I probably didn't even need to do it if I took the time to consider the old Bitching Section on the old Chatsubo forums, but I was curious if anything had changed and honestly, it really hasn't.

So I think the only people really left in RP these days are probably those who take OOC drama seriously enough to get "invested" in RP.

Or those who aren't even subbed to Eve but complain bitterly about its lore and RP.

Right now I think there's the people who care only about toxic OOC interpersonal drama as their RP and the others who no longer care and have just moved on elsewhere.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #103 on: 15 Jul 2014, 03:34 »

You can definitely get people interested in what you're doing. That's how I built my corp. It was a long process, and it was hard, and it was slow, but we've built a pretty awesome group of people. Its totally doable, its just not easy.

It asks for OOC really good social skills, which is definitely not something that everyone has. Actually, people with the right set of skills to create a successful group of players that attracts everyone inside because it's cool and all, are pretty rare.

It is often systematically assumed by those people that everyone can do it the same way they did, which is not. I tried myself several corps over the years, and none of those worked. And it's not the faction that matter so much, but the OOC behind.

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #104 on: 15 Jul 2014, 06:30 »

I spent few months conducting a personal experiment that some described as trolling. I came to the conclusion that the vast majority of RP in Eve isn't actually so much RP as much as OOC dramas and conflicts taken into RP with the thin veneer of it being, "In-character." Looking back I probably didn't even need to do it if I took the time to consider the old Bitching Section on the old Chatsubo forums, but I was curious if anything had changed and honestly, it really hasn't.

So I think the only people really left in RP these days are probably those who take OOC drama seriously enough to get "invested" in RP.

Or those who aren't even subbed to Eve but complain bitterly about its lore and RP.

Right now I think there's the people who care only about toxic OOC interpersonal drama as their RP and the others who no longer care and have just moved on elsewhere.

I can't say I've ever RP'd on an OOC basis. In fact, my current plans involve being bitchy to some of the corps I love most. Then again, I hate none of you (yet) - so who knows.

That being said, I guess it is harder trying to double cross and/or destroy something someone you like and respect has spent years building, so you're probably right.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17