Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Scagga once lost 800,000,000 isk in one night due to his gambling problem?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Who's left in RP?  (Read 32300 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Who's left in RP?
« Reply #45 on: 03 Feb 2014, 13:29 »

There is a big difference between the nazi eagle / roman empire eagle and the various eagles that were used as coats of arms by various countries in the previous centuries (Germany, Prussia, Austria, etc). The federal eagle is a lot closer to the latter imo.

The Nazi Eagle took artistic influences from the Roman Eagle, but its meaning was a continuation of the German Eagle. In short, it was both at the same time.

I was speaking artistically. There is nothing alike between both.

That is a pretty... hyperbolic statement. There is plenty of similarity between them. Starting with the choice of an eagle as a symbol. Artistically there is a pretty massive area of overlap between Roman, Eastern Roman, Holy Roman, and just about every other image of an eagle as a symbol of power.

Are they identical, no, but they are alike in many ways.

You are looking at them with the eyes of a historian. I am looking at those with artist eyes, and to me they are completely different. The only thing they share is an eagle, which means, absolutely nothing.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #46 on: 03 Feb 2014, 13:32 »

There is a big difference between the nazi eagle / roman empire eagle and the various eagles that were used as coats of arms by various countries in the previous centuries (Germany, Prussia, Austria, etc). The federal eagle is a lot closer to the latter imo.

The Nazi Eagle took artistic influences from the Roman Eagle, but its meaning was a continuation of the German Eagle. In short, it was both at the same time.

I was speaking artistically. There is nothing alike between both.

That is a pretty... hyperbolic statement. There is plenty of similarity between them. Starting with the choice of an eagle as a symbol. Artistically there is a pretty massive area of overlap between Roman, Eastern Roman, Holy Roman, and just about every other image of an eagle as a symbol of power.

Are they identical, no, but they are alike in many ways.

You are looking at them with the eyes of a historian. I am looking at those with artist eyes, and to me they are completely different. The only thing they share is an eagle, which means, absolutely nothing.

Considering that two quotes ago you were the one that went with a strictly historical analysis, it seems like their responses were appropriate.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #47 on: 03 Feb 2014, 13:34 »

I don't understand ?  :s

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 03 Feb 2014, 13:35 »

I don't understand ?  :s

I'm just saying that all this confusion over a symbol could have been avoided if people weren't switching between historical analysis and artistic analysis.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #49 on: 03 Feb 2014, 13:43 »

Yes, well, I understand that I have been a tad clear-cut on something that is not, and I did not explained myself clearly.

Anyway I think both views are valid, and maybe even complementary. =)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 03 Feb 2014, 14:36 »

Let's go completely philosophical and wierd and say that it's not even the same eagle when you slide the scroll wheel, as different pixels are lit, and it is re-created from electricity, over and over. :D

*runs away*

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 03 Feb 2014, 14:41 »

Let's go completely philosophical and wierd and say that it's not even the same eagle when you slide the scroll wheel, as different pixels are lit, and it is re-created from electricity, over and over. :D

*runs away*

Well, this is assuming leprechaun shamans are not transmitting the ideal spiritualization of the eagle into your third eye via spaghetti transmissions.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #52 on: 03 Feb 2014, 14:55 »

It would be just like them to do that, too, wouldn't it.  Hmph.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #53 on: 03 Feb 2014, 15:05 »

Ok now than I thought a bit more about I wonder if they actually based their decision to choose an eagle for the Federation precisely because the eagle is usually the symbol of empires ? The Federation is an empire in all but the name. I wonder if there is a true historical choice behind.

I thought at first it was just art stuff...

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: 03 Feb 2014, 15:07 »

It is hard to believe it wasn't intended. I mean, their black bag organization is called "Black Eagles". They are certainly attempting to make the connection and not being subtle about it.

Edit: Just like it is not subtle that the State logo is done explicitly in a corporate logo style or that Minnie logos have tribal styles, etc.

Redpants

• Clonejack
« Reply #55 on: 26 Feb 2014, 22:37 »

When I last posted in the IGS back in '08 I can say the forum was active but there were stretches the last post on the page was over a month old.  Participation seemed to come in waves and in my hiatus you all could attest to whether or not that is still the case now.  I never saw much participation in the IC channels.  Then again in fairness I probably only popped into the known Gallente IC channels and they were ghost towns.   

If more of the RP is happening in private channels or on an individual basis as I read, then I can only see that as a good thing.  It all spills back into IGS participation in one way or another.  The IGS looks quite active from my perspective only a month back in game.  The topics and discussions are diverse.  Everyone enjoys the Amarrian windbag threads when the OP writes something great, but EVE RP then seemed too Amarr/Minmatar heavy and less of the individual tales that I see currently. 

It didn't seem that until the Federation elections ramp up began that the Gallente seemed to get some overdue PF attention.  Up to that point really, neither the Gallente or Caldari had anything really juicy to write about that wasn't based on stringing out a grudge.

I remember that the accepted impression of the state of RP as a whole in EVE, at that time, was widely regarded as waning.  I perceive that same impression holds true for some today.  I'm not saying there isn't truth to that.  Even when I was living and working in the Providence pipe,  it was said that CVA wasn't as RP heavy as they used to be.  I heard Provi used to be more fun.  Even with that being the case, the atmosphere there was "neat" and honestly still fun because there was RP to be found quite readily in any given system, particularly with UK always meddling.

To hear the last big RP corp has closed in CVA does make me think the region will suffer if others don't pick up the banner of IC shenanigans in that region.

Maybe it's a perspective thing.   EVE RP may be just ever evolving.  The outlets for RP however stay the same, a forum on a message board, in game channels for IC chat and of course, the most important one, in game, IC actions.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: 26 Feb 2014, 23:51 »

Gallente RP is currently the most dead by far. The are at least semi-active RP corps in all the other factions, but Moira/EG were the last ones standing for Gallente and they are pretty much just PvP now.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #57 on: 01 Mar 2014, 03:05 »

*crawls out from under a rock*

Well, I never thought I would see the day I came back but *ahem*

Ohai Gaiz.
It's nice to see that a few familar faces are still here

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #58 on: 01 Mar 2014, 03:06 »

I have been away for 2 years. What is left of RP in EVE. Who are the major players, who is actually active. What is happening with the factions? oh and, hello  :)
I just now saw this, which goes to show how much I need to pay more fucking attention here!

Welcome back to Eve; I remember some frustrating fights and some funny ones against you and yours in the Minnie/Amarr warzone back in the day.  :)

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #59 on: 01 Mar 2014, 08:23 »

Ohai Gaiz.

I also return!

Heya Mathra!

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17