Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Slaver-hounds aren't a type of dog? For more information see here.

Author Topic: Amarr - the Behemoth  (Read 3126 times)

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
Amarr - the Behemoth
« on: 15 Apr 2011, 18:50 »

Amarr, the daunting complex society of privileges and positions.  How would it normally be expected for an outsider to engage and enter into such a realm? 

For the purposes of business or diplomacy, what would be considered the norms of proper conduct?

Not trying to metagame here: I assume there is a general understanding of the Amarrian culture and practices for the foreigner.  Is this something that could be elucidated here?

Thanks.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
Re: Amarr - the Behemoth
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2011, 19:31 »

Back in beta (I'm dating myself here) I used to be in a corp called Endless Corporation. Purely Caldari, whole ultra-corporate business ethic.

I wanted to make some friends in other empires. At the time, the only roleplay on the forums was race-specific, the other races didn't really get along. The Caldari yelled at the Amarr for owning slaves, and the Amarr yelled at the Caldari for being godless heathens.

I got to talking with an Amarr corp CEO, Deadline of Sabaoth INC. We started the first Amarr-Caldari alliance in Eve history. We RPed it as the high-tech Caldari corp providing advanced nerve gases and slave-control methods to the Amarr, and the Amarr in turn providing us with cheap labour and manpower.

Lots of great RP ensued. Caldari Endless Corp went to war with chiefly-Gallente Das Paragon. The evil Endless Corp used legions of Minmatar slaves, drugged out of their minds with advanced Caldari combat drugs, as human cannon-fodder to choke up the Das Paragon's cannons with dead before our elite troops struck. Sabaoth Inc used our advanced chemical warfare technology in securing more slaves for the Amarr Empire.

Point is, just get to talking with someone in the Amarr end of things. I find that Amarr RPers are the most passionate of the bunch in exploring their background, by far.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2011, 03:00 »

In the Dark Amarr chron they state that most of the trade with other Empires is funneled through the Khanid Kingdom because Amarrians like to work through intermediaries.

An Orthodox Amarrian probably would not ever meet you face to face, they would always work through someone else, a Ni-Kunni or an Amarrian that is lower in the hierarchy of the Empire.

Liberals, would probably meet you face to face and the whole thing would be pretty much like talking to an intermediary of an orthodox Amarrian. Culture clashing kind of thing.

Then the multiculturalists, you would probably get a blow job with your can of quafe.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2011, 05:11 »

In the Dark Amarr chron they state that most of the trade with other Empires is funneled through the Khanid Kingdom because Amarrians like to work through intermediaries.

An Orthodox Amarrian probably would not ever meet you face to face, they would always work through someone else, a Ni-Kunni or an Amarrian that is lower in the hierarchy of the Empire.

Liberals, would probably meet you face to face and the whole thing would be pretty much like talking to an intermediary of an orthodox Amarrian. Culture clashing kind of thing.

Then the multiculturalists, you would probably get a blow job with your can of quafe.

While this is pretty true - for the Kingdom at least you are probably going to find that alot of them will meet you face to face, they are a... well not entirely a warrior culture, it certainly is a dominant part of it and along with a huge business base I tend to think of them as forward and dominant people with a very strong sense of person and national pride, and you have to remember there are a fair amount of non-Khanid in the Kingdom, vince versa there is a large population of Empire born and bred Khanid.

The Empire is a rather reserved culture outwardly, so as lallara said - they prefer intermediaries to face to face, but its quite possible to say... send someone a private mail and have them respond personally.

Just my little ramble.

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2011, 17:16 »

Thanks for the tips.  On a side note, it looks like the Tash-Murkon Family and their holders might be a bit more amenable to foreign business.  They seem to be portrayed as the 'merchant become nobility' sort of family.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2011, 00:21 »

They are the most "open" of them.  :?:

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2011, 02:50 »

The fact that the Tash-Murkon are traders does not mean that they do not use intermediaries as well.

It may just mean that their facilities generate goods for the other empires, instead of serving the economy inside the Empire.

Kor-Azor, there you have the highest chance of working with an Amarrian that actually will meet you face to face.

... also the lower you go on the hierarchy the lesser the chance of a intermediary. If whatever you are trading is of small scale then you would probably work with someone that cannot afford a highly trained intermediary, forcing them to do the business face to face. You could easily do business face to face with a Ni-Kunni who is trading handcrafted religious paraphernalia, you might even get them for a lower price if they would not be blessed by the Church.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2011, 05:43 »

They are the most "open" of them.  :?:

Depends. We generally have 2 liberal families in the Privy Council.

Tash Murkonites because they are probably the closest family to the rest of New Eden, trading with (almost) everyone, being also described as the "champion of the liberal Holders" in the True Amarr Liberals bloodline, so, I would say that Tash-Murkon is THE very open family, where political matters come only in second. This is mainly explained because they are originally a lesser Holder when Catiz made herself one of the richest person of New Eden starting with her bare hands and letting aside her family resources (probably of the same caliber of Jacus Roden), so I would say that Tash-Murkonites are actually the most inclined amarrians not to use intermediaries and even talk with strangers equals to equals, without a lot of superiority or condescension. I suppose though that some might get arrogant when they look back at their enormous wealth.

Kor-Azorites, always described as peace enforcers. They are probably a lot more orthodox than Tash Murkonites concerning the amarr society, protocol, etc (they have no Catiz Kor-Azor, mind you), but the major difference with the other families is that they are oriented on a pacifist policy for almost everything. That does not always mean that they are liberal concerning protocols and traditions (I would say more progressive, then), but they are definitly liberal when it comes to the Scriptures and external relationship.

Well, as much as Tash Murkonites would probably open their arms to strangers for business and accolades, seing them as partners or even equals, Kor-Azorites would open their arms to strangers for relationship and maybe another form of passive reclaiming.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2011, 05:46 by Lyn Farel »

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2011, 01:32 »

Well, Amarr royal houses.

Ardishapur. Well, they mostly seem to be a very inward-focused house, so dealing with them as a godless foreigner might be difficult. Unless you have contacts with the Ammatar.

Kador. Uriam views himself as somewhat of a cosmopolitan. We know that he's been known to see personally at least Gallenteans (assumably young ladies, in his bedroom). And interestingly for a Kador, he is reformist. Not sure how much the personal attack on the Federation worked to hurt this. (Still a bit puzzled on the attack.)

Khanid. They will trade with outsiders, and have a plenty of non-Amarr employees in their corps. Expect to deal with a Deteis negotiator.

Kor-Azor. They are diplomatic, which does not imply pacifist. Doriam and the "new Aritcio" are known to be reformist. I'd say that someone of True Amarr blood might give an audience to outsiders (Aritcio himself had a Gallentean exchange student with him in an event organized in a cathedral - and no, I don't think it was a church service). Of course, if you make an ass out of yourself, you'll find yourself in the mines of Inis-Ilix.

Sarum. Formerly Amarrian supremacist. Merimeth Sarum is a complete question mark to me. I would expect them to continue being Amarr supremacist. Meeting with a True Amarr Holder? You better have very powerful weapons. For sale, that is.

Tash-Murkon. They trade. Davit's fortune got them the royal status, and Catiz is a self-made woman with her personal worth equal to her father's. And then she inherited Davit. I'd expect that some of the more liberal Holders might be willing to do business in person. Younger generation especially.

And then there is one more thing to think about, namely there's Holders and then there is Holders. I wouldn't expect to deal the same way with someone who's a Holder of a core system than with someone who is a Holder over a small station in some backwater world. A poor Holder might be more willing to make deals with foreigners if it is beneficial to them - for other Amarr, they can use their noble status for leverage, but for foreigners, this doesn't necessarily work.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:07 »

If the Araz PF is anything to go on I would say Kador is easily the most approachable/least xenophobic.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2011, 11:46 »

What is the Araz PF ?

Anyway that would be very weird.

Kador
Despite belonging to the Heir House known as the "Old Imperial Family," Kador is one of the least developed regions in the Empire. The Kador Family has not been progressive in encouraging trade and investment into the region, favoring older, established Holder families with proven bloodlines and heritage. Though in many ways a musty embodiment of the old ways, Kador may be one of the few parts of Amarr territory where a traveler can still get a glimpse of the grand and majestic Empire of days gone by.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2011, 13:24 »

What is the Araz PF ?

Anyway that would be very weird.

Kador
Despite belonging to the Heir House known as the "Old Imperial Family," Kador is one of the least developed regions in the Empire. The Kador Family has not been progressive in encouraging trade and investment into the region, favoring older, established Holder families with proven bloodlines and heritage. Though in many ways a musty embodiment of the old ways, Kador may be one of the few parts of Amarr territory where a traveler can still get a glimpse of the grand and majestic Empire of days gone by.

Araz constellation is where you find all of the Takmahl cosmos missions. It's basically the primary connection between the Tak and Amarr.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2011, 17:56 »

There is also a connection between local smaller scale Holders and fringe groups and blooders. If you were to apply the way things go down in Araz to Kador as a whole, which may or may not be a good idea, then Kador would obviously be the most liberal/shady of all the royals.

While it conflicts with the description of the family, you could argue the whole don't judge a book by its cover angle.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2011, 17:58 by Boma Airaken »

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:10 »

Quote from: Evelopedia
Uriam Kador, one of the notable Amarr characters is one of the heirs to the throne and, like Aritcio, a head of one of the Amarr houses, Uriam personifies all the traits that the Kadors hold so dear: his tall, splendidly proportioned body gives him a majestic aura of grandeur, his keen intellect makes him a master of oratory and rhetoric, and his refined manners inspire loyalty and respect. Uriam is a true leader of men, but his ambitions lie not in the realm of power and rule, but rather the realms of the mind. A noted philosopher and poet, Uriam's view on life is a very cosmopolitan one. While not a true liberal or humanitarian, he is still positively enlightened compared to most of his fellow Holders. He has held various high-level posts within the empire, which have given him a thorough insight into every aspect of Amarrian society. He has already indicated that he will modernize Kador's stale, regimented educational system, as well as streamlining the entangled, cumbersome trade laws. The only taint on his otherwise excellent career is his not-so-well hidden relationship with a Gallentean woman of high stature. His family hopes that Uriam, with his new responsibilities and duties, will see fit to break these shameful ties with his lover.

Of course, how much of this trickles down to the lower-ranked Holders is not certain.