Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Discussion About Venues  (Read 6852 times)

Lunarisse Aspenstar

Re: Discussion About Venues
« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2014, 09:19 »

I see no reason why someone could not open a bar/cafe/bistro channel, while placing ownership in a faceless third party owner that can be emoted in if absolutely needed.

That should alleviate the "everyone owns a bar"  problem rather simply.

That's actually what I did with The Holy Grape :) 

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2014, 09:20 »

Sorry I probably should have addressed my statement. I was more or less speaking  to Tib.

Oh, okay. My bad.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2014, 09:33 »

Okay, more in-depth thoughts on what I'd like to see in the venue department. Bear in mind I am not actually playing Eve and thus constitute a demographic you quite probably can ignore entirely, but that said...

Underground Metal Club

Demographic: Largely Minmatar spacers and sympathizers. Criminals/undesirables allowed, but keeping a low profile to avoid the club getting unwanted attention from authorities, etc. Discuss any shadier stuff privately of course, but no actual deals going down inside. Slavers and slaver sympathizers enter at their own risk.
Atmosphere/Surroundings: Think industrial. Gunmetal walls, emergency lighting, rough interior and plenty of secluded areas for groups of people to hang undisturbed. Furniture, lighting, decoration and is improvised, but very high quality and durability. Broken Amarr hullplates on the wall, the U'K fist incongruously sharing space with Angel decoration etc. No huge areas. Plenty of room to move, but no more than need be neither in ceiling height nor elsewhere.
Music: Heavy industrial metal, viking metal, metal in general. Fast paced and loud.
Location: Some Minnie station slightly off the beaten path. Club entrance itself is in the industrial area of the station, near the reactor cores etc.
Armaments/Violence: Arms allowed, but any violence or pissing off the people is rewarded by a severe trouncing and unceremonious dumping of your unconscious body somewhere in the bowels of the station. Whether you live or die as a result is a question of luck. Slavers are fair game.
No holopresence possible and other than public wired terminals, comms don't work down there.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2014, 11:58 »

+1 Mizhara's idea. I'm not a metal head by Any stretch but this sound like a unique and cool venue to checkout. Screaming in each others ears over the drowning double bass :D

My only critique would be limiting arms to very small arms (pistols and the like) So you don't get someone walking in with an big. Machine gun and mowing the crowd down!
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2014, 12:17 by Vizage »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2014, 12:04 »

Vizage is right. Small personal arms only, obviously but this is largely enforced by common sense as someone dragging a heavy machine gun through a station into the industrial/maintenance bowels would draw way too much attention for anyone's tastes.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2014, 07:45 by Mizhara »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #20 on: 15 Sep 2014, 12:45 »

I see no reason why someone could not open a bar/cafe/bistro channel, while placing ownership in a faceless third party owner that can be emoted in if absolutely needed.

That should alleviate the "everyone owns a bar"  problem rather simply.

I must not have been very clear in my original post, I was primarily asking people their opinion on the different types of venues. Their thoughts, why they go, why they do not, etc. As far as opening the venue I am considering, a short list of operators will easily fix the problem if I can find them.

My biggest problem with these things is that it seemed like every capsuleer and their spacedog owned a bar or a club of some sort.  It was a little silly, tbh.

What would you consider a better alternative, though? Simply less venues, or different kinds, or something else? Now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're saying here.

I tried a UN/CONCORD like library once, where people could congregate about science, knowledge, or even interstellar politics.

It didn't work out, much like the NEA never worked.

I guess people just want the usual bar / nighclub / pub for public venues most of the time, except for faction private channels where the purpose is a bit different.

So, I think I was kind of like the exception to the rule when bars and stuff never really interested me, thus why I rarely ventured into public places most of the time on my own.

Though in any case I find that overall the quality of the concepts proposed over the years has dropped. I miss the old venues like the Drinker's Cathedral which was still a bar, but a bar in an archon space wreck. Or the one in a rupture more recently, was it stock and barrel ? Or another one ? Can't remember.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 16 Sep 2014, 00:58 »

I'm thinking of opening a space gazebo.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #22 on: 16 Sep 2014, 07:32 »

Underground Metal Club

Demographic: Largely Minmatar spacers and sympathizers. Criminals/undesirables allowed, but keeping a low profile to avoid the club getting unwanted attention from authorities, etc. Discuss any shadier stuff privately of course, but no actual deals going down inside. Slavers and slaver sympathizers enter at their own risk.
Atmosphere/Surroundings: Think industrial. Gunmetal walls, emergency lighting, rough interior and plenty of secluded areas for groups of people to hang undisturbed. Furniture, lighting, decoration and is improvised, but very high quality and durability. Broken Amarr hullplates on the wall, the U'K fist incongruously sharing space with Angel decoration etc. No huge areas. Plenty of room to move, but no more than need be neither in ceiling height nor elsewhere.
Music: Heavy industrial metal, viking metal, metal in general. Fast paced and loud.
Location: Some Minnie station slightly off the beaten path. Club entrance itself is in the industrial area of the station, near the reactor cores etc.
Armaments/Violence: Arms allowed, but any violence or pissing off the people is rewarded by a severe trouncing and unceremonious dumping of your unconscious body somewhere in the bowels of the station. Whether you live or die as a result is a question of luck. Slavers are fair game.
No holopresence possible and other than public wired terminals, comms don't work down there.
8) When Ché lived in Anoikis, [PYGAL]'s starbase had a club almost just like this, and Ché dropped in quite regularly. But this was purely a figment of my imagination, there was no channel for it, and I mentioned it's existence only in passing.
Or the one in a rupture more recently, was it stock and barrel ?
Yes.
-OOChé

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 16 Sep 2014, 16:25 »

Let me say this here before asking people in-game - may as well see if there are regular Backstagers interested.

If any Caldari folks are interested in collaborating on a venue with me let me know. Here, email, EVE mail, whatever. Your involvement could be as much as helping design and create it or if you would rather just be a lurking operator to help out with banhammers, all sorts will be needed.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #24 on: 16 Sep 2014, 16:33 »

You should also talk to Veik who I think was thinking of restarting or starting a Caldari venue.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #25 on: 16 Sep 2014, 16:55 »

Okay, more in-depth thoughts on what I'd like to see in the venue department. Bear in mind I am not actually playing Eve and thus constitute a demographic you quite probably can ignore entirely, but that said...

Underground Metal Club

Wasn't this already a channel? Sjalfradr Hideaway?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 16 Sep 2014, 17:14 »

Misan's Prowler lounge? As far as I know it was just basically a Prowler with a lounge in it, but my memory of those days are fuzzy.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #27 on: 16 Sep 2014, 17:20 »

Hm, maybe not. I'm pretty sure I remember a channel that was basically exactly that, though. One of the other Matari folks who's around might remember better.

Alternatively, a dive through the old channel list might do the trick.

EDIT: It seems I'm thinking of "Deck23" according to the old list.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2014, 17:30 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 16 Sep 2014, 17:21 »

Hm, maybe not. I'm pretty sure I remember a channel that was basically exactly that, though. One of the other Matari folks who's around might remember better.

Alternatively, a dive through the old channel list might do the trick.

You are thinking of the right one, though I think it had a club-ish dancefloor in it as well.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 16 Sep 2014, 17:34 »

Yeah, I briefly managed Deck23 but U'K was so RP inactive at the time that it sort of stayed dead. It was also a bit more tribal and techno in nature than what I envisioned above. More like a hangar/storage converted to a club than the more "rough place" I tried to describe here.

ETA: I know your avatar is one of those randomized feed thingies, but one of them is the spitting image of Miz without tats. Damn.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2014, 17:36 by Mizhara »

Pages: 1 [2] 3