Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there are minmatar who willingly serve the Amarr empire? More here

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Discussion About Venues  (Read 6850 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Discussion About Venues
« on: 14 Sep 2014, 11:35 »

I am curious what people look for in a venue. There are a couple 'dark bar' types currently going with LSB and Noir, and each faction has their various spots though I believe the only remaining active (correct me if I am wrong) Caldari one is the member-only I-RED Lounge. There are also the various restaurant/'nicer'/neutral ones like the Masque, L'Amore, and the other ones that are typically popular for events due to their nice setting and the reputation of the operators.

Do people prefer their faction-only ones? That has always been a trend for Amarr, but the other empire-related ones over the years seem to have struggled (except for the Heiian College back in the day). TLG was very successful for a long time and still gets periodic activity, but it seems as if people are starting to get a bit tired of interacting with those their characters hate. Which makes sense after a while, it gets old having to deal with the same discussions, arguments, and insults every time you head to a venue.

I was thinking of opening another Caldari-esque venue and looking for some other operators to help with moderation and such for when I am offline, but I am trying to figure out if a mixed venue would be feasible. Run by Caldari, fairly strict security, but pseudo-neutral in the sense of not barring most large subsets of characters and not forcing everyone to choke down Caldari tea when they order a drink. In addition, fairly strict reigning in of certain types of Caldari characters (blacklisting Provists, etc.).

Thoughts about venues, faction venues, neutral venues?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: Discussion About Venues
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2014, 11:56 »

For me what I look for is pretty simple: A reason to go. Something most venues don't have.

It's also why one shouldn't expect a venue to be open 24/7. They'll see more activity if you orient them around specific times and dates so that people can schedule it in rather than hoping for constant activity.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2014, 12:08 »

Before you launch something like this, get a few people on board to run it with you and promote activity while it's still early.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2014, 12:17 »

Before you launch something like this, get a few people on board to run it with you and promote activity while it's still early.

I will talk to some people, but you always have the herding cats problem. Everyone has different ideas on what should be in a venue, which is why there are so many different ones. But I will put out some feelers.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2014, 17:31 »

Amarr side, two bars the Holy Grape (which while Amarr focused is not Amarr only, subject to the caveat that icly one must be able to visit amarr without being arrested/shot on sight) and AVCL both have been good sources for rp for me.  There are other amarr locations more specific but they tend to be when the need arises for the plot (like the Amarr Legio Basilica) versus random rp.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2014, 03:01 »

Noir didn't start, nor do I think, it is dark.  It's an electro-swing club.

it just HAPPENED to be started by a member of Goonswarm.  THEREFORE LOOK THE FUCK OUT IT IS OBVIOUSLY EBIL. ... ok, we're all nine. :)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2014, 08:06 »

Since my character is not really faction-tied, I don't hang out a lot in faction-venues, and not at all in faction-only-venues.  But when I do, I like how each has a certain feel, the cultures of the factions tend to be somewhat palpable.

The location of the venue is also a factor in how likely I am to visit it, as I travel to it's location ingame, thus if a venue is far away, I won't visit it often or at all.

I also like me some eye-candy, so please, do post links to pictures in the venues' description!

And yeah, events will make it more likely for me to visit them, especially if it's a venue I have not visited before. Most times, I visit a particular venue because of the regulars I expect to see there, and the same is also true for events, I'm more likely to show up if my character's acquaintances or friends have indicated they will visit the event.

When it was still operated, I thought The Bunny Lounge was nice. "Never a dull time" was the phrase, and it was mostly true, although sometimes excessively so. The sleeper mainframe gave it a spooky feel. Also, because Syn invited any character in Jita that might/could be a roleplayer, it was a nice place to see new faces. I also liked the movie nights. And Ché had his own room there, which Silas called "Horrid", with a smile.
-OOChé

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2014, 08:10 »

My biggest problem with these things is that it seemed like every capsuleer and their spacedog owned a bar or a club of some sort.  It was a little silly, tbh.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2014, 08:12 »

My biggest problem with these things is that it seemed like every capsuleer and their spacedog owned a bar or a club of some sort.  It was a little silly, tbh.

What would you consider a better alternative, though? Simply less venues, or different kinds, or something else? Now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're saying here.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2014, 08:27 »

I agree to an extent with tibbles that it felt for a while like just about everyone owned their own bar type venue. At first, I too thought it was a bit silly until I realized that, as enterprising capsuleers, it really wasn't all that strange or surprising to find out people had their own public venues.
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2014, 08:35 »

I agree to an extent with tibbles that it felt for a while like just about everyone owned their own bar type venue. At first, I too thought it was a bit silly until I realized that, as enterprising capsuleers, it really wasn't all that strange or surprising to find out people had their own public venues.

Especially when the variety of factions, personalities, and subsets within factions are considered. There was a time when many Patriot bloc capsuleers (of the IGS sort, not the more reliable and thought out Patriots that can be found in organizations like CAIN) wanted nothing to do with Liberal bloc capsuleers.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2014, 08:54 »

I see no reason why someone could not open a bar/cafe/bistro channel, while placing ownership in a faceless third party owner that can be emoted in if absolutely needed.

That should alleviate the "everyone owns a bar"  problem rather simply.
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2014, 08:58 by Vizage »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2014, 08:55 »

In my experience, the problem was the other way around. Almost no active faction/bloc specific venues as most people gravitated to the more active ones that were open to all. Of course, my experience was primarily within the least populated Minmatar bloc so that may have had something to do with it.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2014, 09:05 »

I see no reason why someone could not open a bar/cafe/bistro channel, while placing ownership in a faceless third party owner that can be emoted in if absolutely needed.

That should alleviate the "everyone owns a bar"  problem rather simply.

I must not have been very clear in my original post, I was primarily asking people their opinion on the different types of venues. Their thoughts, why they go, why they do not, etc. As far as opening the venue I am considering, a short list of operators will easily fix the problem if I can find them.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2014, 09:14 »

Sorry I probably should have addressed my statement. I was more or less speaking  to Tib.
Pages: [1] 2 3