Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki who supported Caldari independence from the Federation were first exiled from the Federation, and then attacked by Caldari radicals demanding the expulsion of all foreigners? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Problem with Pony Planet?  (Read 4491 times)

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
Re: Problem with Pony Planet?
« Reply #15 on: 09 Apr 2013, 09:33 »

Well, this explained some things - Pieter is possibly the Anti-Trope for a Byronic Hero, being more of a Medieval Hero by design and subsequent development.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 09 Apr 2013, 10:28 »

The first is my patent refusal to RP Seriphyn as a 'popularity sellout'

I think if I had played a male character I would have faced the same thing. Not that I don't face it here, but less, it's diluted.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #17 on: 09 Apr 2013, 12:22 »

Honestly, though, fuck the people who are giving you OOC crap about your "pony planet". Neil deGrasse Tyson gets random trolls posting comments about the stuff that he says. He shrugs it off because he doesn't want to spend the time or energy engaging with idiots. That's a good attitude to take.

If someone wants to engage with Seri ICly and offer some serious criticism of what Seri's trying to do, bring it on! Just ignore the rest (maybe with a dismissive "run along and play now while the grown-ups talk").

And yes, I'll second what Morwen said. That's the basis for why Shin doesn't like Seri. I'm interested to see how Seri's changed in the time I've/Shin's been away.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #18 on: 09 Apr 2013, 12:33 »

Heh, well, I reluctantly admit part of the initial problem before the Sansha thing was that I started EVE as a teen. Now, I'm an "enlightened" adult on the cusp of graduating in history from one of Scotland's ancient universities. Looking back at some of the things I've done, both IC and OOC, is quite embarassing, attributed to previous immaturity. I consider myself grown-up and educated now, so...

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #19 on: 09 Apr 2013, 17:48 »

All of us old-timers have some of that going on, believe me.

IC-wise: Huh? Whatever, I guess.

OOC-wise: I won't hate on it, but since it exists in a tiny bubble that cannot affect anything else, and is immune to non-consensual fucking with (thus is almost anti-EVE in it's nature) I doubt I'll pay any attention.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #20 on: 10 Apr 2013, 03:45 »

I can't mock the pony planet OOCly.  I've had my own worldbuilding projects for quite a while now, so I'd be a hypocrite if I started throwing rocks at someone else's.

ICly?  Eh.  Celeste has expressed concerns about the long term stability of the colony.  Not that she wants to see it fail (though voicing polite public criticism in the hope that issues will be addressed is the extent of the help she intends to offer): she believes there's value in Seriphyn's having a project that will engage 100 percent of his attention.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 10 Apr 2013, 09:42 »

Thanks for the responses. I want to pose some other ideas...

- Elusenia is a tax haven; I was thinking it would be interesting if a second city was opened up to other capsuleer corporations to run their own offices or factories there (dunno about PI since it'd get a bit crowded). The employees would purchase Elusenian goods and use their services (tourism and entertainment primarily), while employed by whatever off-worlders choose to participate. Offers an opening for interaction.

- Population I'm thinking of, eventually, is just over a million. Too much or...? There isn't really any guidebook with these things.

Anslol

« Reply #22 on: 10 Apr 2013, 10:59 »

Use RL cities as a guide for your statistics and make a choice.

http://www.census.gov/popest/data/metro/totals/2012/index.html

Check the first bullet's data set and look at general populations. New York City has a population of 13 million. Miami is about 2.5 million.

I'm sure you can find other census reports from different countries as well. For instance, Tokyo has an estimated population of 13.2 million people as of 01-Jan-13 (if you're looking for a more exotic metropolitan area to use as inspiration).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 10 Apr 2013, 12:36 »

In New Eden you have the advantage to be able to pull very wide scales of numbers. Either isolated/desolated little colonies with no more than hundreds of people, or either megalopolises in core worlds that probably count A LOT more citizens than our pitiful RL cities, by a huge magnitude (<- the kind impossible to repel).

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #24 on: 10 Apr 2013, 12:55 »

But, of course, you should give a reasonable explanation why that many people would up and move to your colony.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2013, 15:43 »

But, of course, you should give a reasonable explanation why that many people would up and move to your colony.

Exactly my concern. Maybe after six months it might be acceptable to come out and say 'We now have 1.2 million', and just level it at that. A 'colonial boom', as is apparently popular in the Fed.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2013, 23:29 »

Just use Cartman's "You can't come." method. :lol:
-OOChé

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #27 on: 13 Apr 2013, 01:25 »

The pony planet thing is kind of weird though.

Elusenia sounds like Equestria, the name of the kingdom in MLP:FiM.

I think that and the 'making his daughter a princess' joke is reason someone called it a pony planet.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #28 on: 13 Apr 2013, 02:17 »

Thanks for the responses. I want to pose some other ideas...

- Elusenia is a tax haven; I was thinking it would be interesting if a second city was opened up to other capsuleer corporations to run their own offices or factories there (dunno about PI since it'd get a bit crowded). The employees would purchase Elusenian goods and use their services (tourism and entertainment primarily), while employed by whatever off-worlders choose to participate. Offers an opening for interaction.

- Population I'm thinking of, eventually, is just over a million. Too much or...? There isn't really any guidebook with these things.

Human Life is Cheap™ in EVE, it seems.

In low-sec Sansha Events, complete temperate planet harvestings could net anywhere from 1 to 3? million people. Some high sec worlds go up to around 5 or 6, but were not 'total harvestings', that I can recall at least.

I've seen mention the Gallente Federation numbers around 3-4 Trillion people, not sure about the others. A million is a fairly tame number in all respects and seems safe to play with.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Anslol

« Reply #29 on: 15 Apr 2013, 06:26 »

^What Ghost said.

A million is a good number for a big old city state. However, make sure you build it up slowly. A million people suddenly moving in to the place out of nowhere is gonna get some :wat:.
Pages: 1 [2] 3