Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Defiants were a splinter group of the Minmatar fleet that waged guerrilla war against the Amarr?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Rebellion RP - Any ideas?  (Read 3992 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Rebellion RP - Any ideas?
« on: 23 Nov 2012, 15:34 »

I've been mulling over a rebellion line of RP recently. Pro-Fed yet anti-Fed. Military traditionalist, ideological purist, and that. Some of you may have noticed Seriphyn's dissident qualities recently. I guess he's always been like that, and honestly I don't think it should be to anyone's surprise that an experienced soldier will be the last person to buy the government's propaganda (that may very well apply to veterans of any faction). Of course, others can be a bit more professional about it and keep their opinions to themselves, but Seri was never originally a born-and-bred soldier anyway!

I must keep this distinct from Traitor RP, which normally involves faction-hopping. I wouldn't dare. Instead, this is an anti-government line. Seri will still ostensibly wear the uniform while rejecting the Federation regime and refusing to engage regular military forces. The Caldari State is still the enemy, and they are an automatically far worse choice by virtue of them being a foreign government. I guess it'll be directed at the Federal Intelligence Office, decrying Mentas Blaque as a fascist dog. Seriphyn will see his military duty as a Gallentean soldier to protect the people's freedoms foremost, NOT protect the integrity of the government. The FIO are just as bad as taking away his fellow citizens' freedoms as Caldari megacorporations

What keeps things grounded, however, is Anette, who has by-and-large kept Seriphyn grounded as just a man who does his job to provide for his kid. In his head, he will rationalize rebellion against elements of the Federation regime as ensuring that the Federation his child grows up in, as well as many others, will be the Federation he was used to serving during peacetime. There is plenty of ways to 'protect' Anette from that usual Child-kidnapping by the Government thing. They'll sever contact and Anette will live with her grandfather, and continue to serve her role as a celebrity.

But...what avenues are there, for this? I could shoot FIO devactors whenever they appear. Hell, I was thinking of getting back into the FDU and trying to leverage the RP influence I once had to, say, eradicate any enemies at a live event PLUS any FIO devactors (but NEVER navy). But that ties my RP to live events, something I don't want to do. Seri could hide out in the Syndicate, but again, what would he do? Federation lowsec might be a place to 'hide', especially Placid or even Intaki where Federal presence is weak...or even Solitude. But what would I even play? Seri is a DED supporter, so perhaps taking sanctuary as a citizen of Yulai III. His active anti-piracy efforts gives him diplomatic protection by CONCORD from Fed, the former perhaps trying it as just one of countless attempts to re-assert its independence after the Elder War.

Any ideas?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Rebellion RP - Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2012, 15:54 »

I am not sure about the "active rebellion against the system of which you are a part."

It is one thing to consider the FIO a bunch of bootlicking, freedom-damaging, pigs who kill children to get at their targets and say it to their face and quiet another to shoot anyone who might be a special operator cooperating with the FIO.

Becoming a vocal opponent of the FIO's methodology, refusing to be part of their operations, etc are all in the avenue you are looking for.

A question that arises is who holds more political sway and where?  Does the FN hold more sway in the halls of the Senate or the FIO?  Is the FN the real power in Solitude, while the FIO has scant presence?  Does the reach of the FIO extend into Syndicate, with shadowy connections the FN simply can't have?

Perhaps Seriphyn will leverage his position and fame to create a counter-intelligence/counter-espionage organization internal to the Federation.  The public reason is to provide the Federation with increase CI/CE against the likes of the LDPS, Internal Security, etc.  The secondary/private reason is to counter increased FIO activity.   Any FIO agents found spying on Federal citizens are throw to the media dogs!

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2012, 16:03 »

I think you should instead look more at inter-factional conflict possibilities.

For instance, in the Amarr Empire, if you have beef with, say, the Theology Council, you don't rebel against the Empire. TC has plenty of internal enemies, and is always jostling for power with them. If I want the Council destroyed, I ally my interests with a house that agrees with me (in this case the Tetrimon Order - this is for example only).

The Fed is no different, and the FIO has plenty of enemies, though perhaps they must remain secretive in the age of the Black Eagles. You can be sure there are companies, wealthy magnates, and even Senators who wish to limit the FIO's power. I'm sure such parties would love to have a smoky-room conversation with Seriphyn...

I'm confident you can think of something interesting.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2012, 18:17 »

Would flat out love more inter-tribal warfare in the Republic. 

Lets kick some Sinister ass!
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2012, 19:47 »

It seems like the major problem here is the conflict between a well built character and the player.

The player creates excuses and different possible rationalizations for himself to keep as much of the roleplay that he has as enjoyable without actually affecting the roleplay of his alt that is connected to his other character.

A Father, leaving his child to his grandparents because she has a career.

While he thinks that his government is hunting him?

FFS.

Go watch Taken, and its sequel.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2012, 02:10 »

I've been mulling over a rebellion line of RP recently. Pro-Fed yet anti-Fed. Military traditionalist, ideological purist, and that. Some of you may have noticed Seriphyn's dissident qualities recently. I guess he's always been like that, and honestly I don't think it should be to anyone's surprise that an experienced soldier will be the last person to buy the government's propaganda (that may very well apply to veterans of any faction). Of course, others can be a bit more professional about it and keep their opinions to themselves, but Seri was never originally a born-and-bred soldier anyway!

I must keep this distinct from Traitor RP, which normally involves faction-hopping. I wouldn't dare. Instead, this is an anti-government line. Seri will still ostensibly wear the uniform while rejecting the Federation regime and refusing to engage regular military forces.
While being a soldier and refusing following orders and/or duty IS being traitor. About rebellion part, well, when rebels win, they become heroes. When they lose, they are executed as traitors. Should a military person defect, make or join rebellion, he will be claimed as traitor, because, you know, going rebel means changing side. Rebels are just new side. And they remain traitors until they win. Because winners are always right.

The Caldari State is still the enemy, and they are an automatically far worse choice by virtue of them being a foreign government. I guess it'll be directed at the Federal Intelligence Office, decrying Mentas Blaque as a fascist dog. Seriphyn will see his military duty as a Gallentean soldier to protect the people's freedoms foremost, NOT protect the integrity of the government. The FIO are just as bad as taking away his fellow citizens' freedoms as Caldari megacorporations
I bet Heth would like to hold Federation as enemy, rather than taking full control over it. But at the same time most of megacorps and Caldari militarists IMHO would likely support this kind of rebellion, by force or money. Because, you see, rebellion weakens military power of the Federation, and many Caldari could help you in this.
As for remaining Gallentean soldier, you see, soldiers are expected to follow orders of superiors. When you follow your own agenda (like protect people's freedoms), you are a privateer or corsair, but definitely not a soldier or mercenary. So, either you are with Federation, or against them.

What keeps things grounded, however, is Anette, who has by-and-large kept Seriphyn grounded as just a man who does his job to provide for his kid. In his head, he will rationalize rebellion against elements of the Federation regime as ensuring that the Federation his child grows up in, as well as many others, will be the Federation he was used to serving during peacetime. There is plenty of ways to 'protect' Anette from that usual Child-kidnapping by the Government thing. They'll sever contact and Anette will live with her grandfather, and continue to serve her role as a celebrity.
I don't think that severing contact will help. Either she remains with Seri and becomes rebel too, or she will be used by government against Seri by one way or another.

But...what avenues are there, for this? I could shoot FIO devactors whenever they appear. Hell, I was thinking of getting back into the FDU and trying to leverage the RP influence I once had to, say, eradicate any enemies at a live event PLUS any FIO devactors (but NEVER navy).
As I see this, Federal Navy is a power fist and a shield that protects the Federation including FIO. They are not Caldari megacorps fighting each other, but rather different branches of one entity, doing different jobs for this entity. Should you hit one (FIO), the other (FN) will be against you.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2012, 04:59 »

I must keep this distinct from Traitor RP, which normally involves faction-hopping. I wouldn't dare. Instead, this is an anti-government line. Seri will still ostensibly wear the uniform while rejecting the Federation regime and refusing to engage regular military forces.
While being a soldier and refusing following orders and/or duty IS being traitor.

What ?  :eek:

Where I live it's called insubordination. A quite grave case of insubordination probably leading to being fired from the army, sure, but there is a huge gap until being branded a traitor (for that you will need obviously to betray your nation in some way)... Is that the case in the gallente PF ?

But I am still not sure if Seri is willing to play the rebel/uprising part or just the political dissident/opponent part...

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2012, 05:24 »

Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps Seriphyn will leverage his position and fame to create a counter-intelligence/counter-espionage organization internal to the Federation.  The public reason is to provide the Federation with increase CI/CE against the likes of the LDPS, Internal Security, etc.  The secondary/private reason is to counter increased FIO activity.   Any FIO agents found spying on Federal citizens are throw to the media dogs!

That is an idea. Fed does have that whole concept of 'media shield' present in any democracy. Combined with the 'rule of law', skirting the boundaries of law-breaking yet never doing so...

The Fed is no different, and the FIO has plenty of enemies, though perhaps they must remain secretive in the age of the Black Eagles. You can be sure there are companies, wealthy magnates, and even Senators who wish to limit the FIO's power. I'm sure such parties would love to have a smoky-room conversation with Seriphyn...

Yeah, I agree. I was thinking of Seri being an agent of a Senator who leads an anti-Roden faction. I mean, really, it's in his character to simply take orders and be given a purpose from someone else, never act independently (that's why he still clings to the military despite being an empyrean). We don't really see Fed factionalism in the PF beyond Senate shouting matches, but given the Fed is based on 'individuals', it's only natural to assume said individuals to coalesce into thousands of ideological groups. None of which are as strong as an entire Caldari megacorporation or Heir, but nonetheless they exist.

I bet Heth would like to hold Federation as enemy, rather than taking full control over it. But at the same time most of megacorps and Caldari militarists IMHO would likely support this kind of rebellion, by force or money. Because, you see, rebellion weakens military power of the Federation, and many Caldari could help you in this.

Ah, but Seriphyn would rather agree to be thrown into an FIO prison than agree for assistance from the Caldari State. The idea here is self-righteousness, not unscrupulous pursuit of power. Even if getting help from the Caldari might support his cause with finances or whatever, it will undermine his ideological basis. The Caldari State have invaded worlds in Placid and taken away democracy to be replaced with corporate rule. The FIO have underminded citizen freedoms while using the latter truth as a justification.

As for remaining Gallentean soldier, you see, soldiers are expected to follow orders of superiors. When you follow your own agenda (like protect people's freedoms), you are a privateer or corsair, but definitely not a soldier or mercenary. So, either you are with Federation, or against them.

That's one interpretation. And the Federation is built on interpretation!

As I see this, Federal Navy is a power fist and a shield that protects the Federation including FIO. They are not Caldari megacorps fighting each other, but rather different branches of one entity, doing different jobs for this entity. Should you hit one (FIO), the other (FN) will be against you.

Disagree. These entities are too large to be single-minded. We never hear about Fed factionalism in the shadows in the PF, fair enough. Given each man and woman are going to have their own opinion on the Federation, that basically means (in theory) there are as many Fed factions as there are citizens. It is a democracy at the end of the day, no matter how many freedoms are undermined.

But I am still not sure if Seri is willing to play the rebel/uprising part or just the political dissident/opponent part...

That's the thing. Political dissident is perhaps more sensible. Can still play the game and connect it to dissidence somewhere along the line, perhaps under the radar and so forth. Outright rebellion is significantly more limited.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2012, 05:51 »

Where I live it's called insubordination. A quite grave case of insubordination probably leading to being fired from the army, sure, but there is a huge gap until being branded a traitor (for that you will need obviously to betray your nation in some way)... Is that the case in the gallente PF ?
Maybe I am mistaken, but I think that becoming a rebel and attacking own intelligence officers is a bit more than just insubordination. And I believe it would lead not to be fired from the army, but to be fired at by the army  :roll:

Disagree. These entities are too large to be single-minded. We never hear about Fed factionalism in the shadows in the PF, fair enough. Given each man and woman are going to have their own opinion on the Federation, that basically means (in theory) there are as many Fed factions as there are citizens. It is a democracy at the end of the day, no matter how many freedoms are undermined.
I really can't imagine how you can remain friends with navy after you start killing federal intelligence personnel  :s
IMHO democracy is done by casting votes, not by shooting down those, with whom you are not content.

Ah, and, fighting both Caldari and Federation means putting yourself between gears of war. Seri is preparing a sad demise for his followers! Maybe you should consider looking for supporters in Empire or Republic? But I don't think they will be interested. Or you will just end as a pirate, not as a pirate from CONCORD point of view, but as outlaw in all empires.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2012, 07:54 »

Hm, I know The Scope is in some sort of opposition to the FIO, but that might not be the kind of road for you. Quafe likely also wields more power than most suspect.

Alternatively, you could go the political route. Difficult, granted.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2012, 12:17 »

I like the idea of the smoke filled room with shady important people plotting pragmatically against other political entities. It can be interesting because it somehow would make Seri a litteral crook himself by associating with amoral crooks fighting against what he despises.

Could he do it though ?

Maybe I am mistaken, but I think that becoming a rebel and attacking own intelligence officers is a bit more than just insubordination. And I believe it would lead not to be fired from the army, but to be fired at by the army  :roll:

I must have missed the part where Seri mentionned the idea of going full rebel and shoot at his own forces and intelligence officers, and at least all of this publicly.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2012, 17:48 »

Well it's either full public rebel (harder to do) or working behind-the-scenes. I think the latter is more realistic. I just booted up Dishonored and the storyline is about you working for loyalists of an an assassinated Empress who want to get the current guys out of power. Is a Gallentean a loyalist to a person (the President), the people, the ideal, the nation...?

Anyway, these are empires hundreds of systems a part. In the Amarr Empire we have holders that go to war with each other, tribal warfare in the Republic, corporate warfare in the State. Hard to believe the Federation is not exempt from factions within the central govt and its institutions going at each other.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:34 »

Considering that you're not represented by the federal government at all (because you can't vote as a capsuleer), why not start a movement for capsuleer rights?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2012, 08:42 »

Considering that you're not represented by the federal government at all (because you can't vote as a capsuleer), why not start a movement for capsuleer rights?

Is that definite?  That capsuleers do not have voting rights?  Clearly some at least can run for office - Roden is a capsuleer if I am not mistaken.

I am not saying there isn't something there, but it will take some framing and might be a slightly different take on the position.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2012, 09:51 »

Is that definite?  That capsuleers do not have voting rights?  Clearly some at least can run for office - Roden is a capsuleer if I am not mistaken.

I am not saying there isn't something there, but it will take some framing and might be a slightly different take on the position.

You are correct in regards to Roden of course. You forget, however, that Mr. Roden is also the head of one of the largest and most influential privately owned corporations of the gallente federation. I am sure that if Quafe wanted to have a "Mr. Quafe" president they could have one in a heartbeat.
Pages: [1] 2 3