Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That travelling to planets takes quite a long time?  For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 24 Hr Media... iiiiin spaaaaaace!  (Read 6501 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

24 Hr Media... iiiiin spaaaaaace!
« on: 14 Sep 2011, 10:24 »

So I've been mulling over this idea for quite some time now and thought i'd get some feedback from some this community about the idea of running a live media network. This media network would be a player run channel with themed programs for capsuleers, not unlike radio talk show networks with half-hour or hour long segments. The programs could cover a variety of topics, from finances, news, political commentary, sports, cooking, romance and relationships, horoscopes, etc., where the host of the show would have control for that period of time to talk about whatever they wanted, and could accept audience questions/commentary through email or from a separate question-screening channel. The idea of course, would be to get enough viewership (aka audience) to push for sponsorship and advertising and make this a real business model.

NOTE: for those not aware, you can set channels so people can see the channel but able to actually speak unless allowed.

The obvious hurdle would be finding reliable hosts who can make quality programming that people want to 'listen to' either on a daily or interval basis. Finding fresh topics can be a challenge, especially when in-game news is pretty quiet.

So what do you guys think?

Malcolm Khross

Re: 24 Hr Media... iiiiin spaaaaaace!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2011, 10:44 »

I actually happen to like the idea, but I agree that finding news might be difficult. For example, Malcolm could easily talk about news Stateside and maybe a little on the Amarr and Gallente, but he'd know next to nothing about the Republic. Also, people aren't going to want just more of the IGS on their "radios." So, the topics would need to vary from there slightly.

Of course, you could also have a section where someone rants about the IGS from a satirical stance (think Jon Stewart) and what not. For that, I recommend Kazzzi.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2011, 11:24 »

If that was the case then I'd have him talk about State topics. (State of the State!) You could also have gameshows and other entertainment media mixed in.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2011, 11:36 »

I think this is an awesome idea. With a decent network of contacts (literally just people you know all over the cluster who can tell you what's going on at any given time), finding stuff to talk about shouldn't be terribly hard. Finding people to do the talking might be. I can certainly offer a talking head or two.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2011, 11:37 »

Slight similarities to muck raker, but aside from that it's got potential.

Maybe to avoid the bias issue, you could set up one for each empire (presuming you could get the resources and willing individuals)

In any case, it would be great to fill the void that the newsfeed once filled. Particualarly if you can get guests on the show. For instance, people like Saxon Hawke or Verone who are known throughout a good  number of the playerbase and certainly among the RP community, but who are rarely mentioned on the newsfeed.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2011, 12:04 »

Not really into tabloid journalism, but if I found the right people I'd give it a shot. ;)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2011, 12:07 »

This makes me want to put Katrina forward as a sort of 'live advice columnist'. She's friendly and tolerant of most anyone, with a usually gentle sense of humor. I myself should be able to get actual advice answers out for IC and OOC issues.

"Hey Kat, I have this problem with my Amarr girlfriend. She says I look too young and inexperienced, but I am the oldest boyfriend she's ever had! What gives?!" -Confused in Luminaire

"Saisa, Confused! Amarr women tend to find older men attractive, as it presents a sense of power and control. Many young Amarr men dye their hair white or wear paling makeup to appear older. Have you considered that? However if you feel like this is an insulting fashion, maybe you could try explaining to her how you feel, and try projecting your masculinity in some other way? Hope this helps!" -Kat

...... this could be fun.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2011, 12:11 by Katrina Oniseki »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2011, 12:13 »

Celebrity deathmatch kind of narration for Mindclash with futuristic swooshes and beeps in the background :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2011, 12:38 »

Malcolm would readily volunteer for this kind of thing, actually. He's an eloquent speaker and tends to be good at cutting to the heart of matters. He also has a wry sense of humor and enjoys satire and irony. I could see him even being willing to partner with Katrina above in a "live advice" sort of column.

As far as "State topics" go, he'd definitely be willing to tackle that and he's good at holding "live debate" sessions, sort of like a live talk show.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2011, 12:44 »

... I could see Morwen having fun doing the "live advice" thing with Kat, given their banter in the Summit of late. xP
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2011, 13:16 »

Multiple advice viewpoints? Maybe we could try to theme our responses to fit different 'styles'? Kat would be the touchy feely type, Malcolm could be the logical type, Morwen could be the practical self-serving type.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2011, 13:20 »

Add Lallara for a touch of gruesome curmudgeon and you have yourself a show!

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2011, 13:36 »

:lol:

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ilsenae Alexandros

• Adjutant of the Wiyrkomi Honor Guard
  • Clonejack
  • Tea Maker
    • Eskeitanen Wiyrkomi Kaashivon
« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2011, 13:40 »

This needs to happen, so that Ilse can watch this show.

Ryven Krennel

• Wetgraver
« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2011, 13:47 »

If I had more free time, I would be all over this.  Maybe I can make guest appearances?
Pages: [1] 2 3