Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Caldari State is made up of eight mega-corporations and has three major political factions?

Author Topic: Re: The OOC/IC Divide, Corporate Security, and the Spy Metagame  (Read 1949 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

It's all about the popularity game.

Character 1, steals from a corporation, is not very popular in the various cliques, gets "hounded out of the community" for "breaking the rules of RP".

Character 2, also a corp thief, has some popularity in some cliques, is lauded as a paragon of EVE roleplay, EVE is real, etc.

It becomes  :wut: if and when Character 2's corp is stolen from, and Char 2 tries to suggest that the "unwritten rules of rp have been broken!".
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Character 1, steals from a corporation, is not very popular in the various cliques, gets "hounded out of the community" for "breaking the rules of RP".

Character 2, also a corp thief, has some popularity in some cliques, is lauded as a paragon of EVE roleplay, EVE is real, etc.

It becomes  :wut: if and when Character 2's corp is stolen from, and Char 2 tries to suggest that the "unwritten rules of rp have been broken!".

Has that actually ever happened?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Vincent Pryce

Don't remember  a particular instance of corp theft but this sort of thing happens all the time in other avenues in the community. If you are liked you get away for a lot of shit just 'cause. If you're not, you get pounded up the ass harder than an Asian whore in Bangkok.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

For me, it really comes down to two things:

1. There are no unwritten rules in Eve.

2. Those who wield observation #1 to their advantage have no cause to complain when others take it personally. It's like playing on the fact that the "justice system" does not reliably produce justice: valid, in its way, but ... impolite.

Personally, observation 1 is one of the reasons I play this game to begin with. One of the reasons I don't care to take on leadership positions, however, is that I'm uninterested in the security metagame-- I have minimal interest in going to extreme lengths to prevent interesting (even if bad) stuff from happening to my character in a video game.

I do, however, refuse to take anything at all that happens in Eve as being truly out of character: if you did it with your character, your character did it ... for reasons that you may or may not choose to explore. That's your business, but if you do it, I will hold you to it.

If there's an exception, I can't think of it right now.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

Don't remember  a particular instance of corp theft but this sort of thing happens all the time in other avenues in the community. If you are liked you get away for a lot of shit just 'cause. If you're not, you get pounded up the ass harder than an Asian whore in Bangkok.

Yes, happened right here on this forum: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=5052.0

Che Biko, mentions something about possibly having a spy alt, gets criticised for it. Ichkowa san, has apparently deleted their character(s).

Meanwhile Nikita/saede, having been a corp thief, is stolen from, people say "oh, that's terrible news, it isn't possible to RP corp theft" etc. etc. Is not treated as harshly as Che/Ichkowa.

Cliques and wagon-circling, to decry some people for doing a particular activity, despite having been a participant in the same thing in the past.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

I think at some point, you have to realize that it's human nature to form cliques and be hypocritical of each other. Popularity contests are inescapable parts of life. It should be fairly obvious, even. If a popular person does something questionable, it's going to be overlooked by those they are popular with. If somebody with less influence does the very same, they might get noticed and criticized much more harshly, simply because they do not enjoy the protection that popularity provides.

I used to think when I was growing up, I'd some day join the wide world of adults where everybody is magically fair to each other and the rule of law and reason is equally applied to everybody. I used to think pretty people and wealthy people wouldn't be granted pardons for crimes, and popular people wouldn't get away with cheating, and social circles no longer defined your opportunities in life. I was wrong. I did grow up, and part of that meant realizing that life is inherently unfair. I learned that life is always going to be a popularity contest, and the only creatures that won't force me to play that game is my cat... and even then that's debatable.

I figure you're trying to point out the hypocritical injustice here in that Saede may not have been judged as fairly as Che was in the linked thread, but... you know, Saede's gotten her lumps from the community as well.

Yes, unfair social cliques exist in our community. Yes they contribute to hypocrisy, echo-chambers, and all other manner of ill things.

No, they likely won't ever go away.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Yes, happened right here on this forum: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=5052.0

Che Biko, mentions something about possibly having a spy alt, gets criticised for it. Ichkowa san, has apparently deleted their character(s).

Meanwhile Nikita/saede, having been a corp thief, is stolen from, people say "oh, that's terrible news, it isn't possible to RP corp theft" etc. etc. Is not treated as harshly as Che/Ichkowa.

Cliques and wagon-circling, to decry some people for doing a particular activity, despite having been a participant in the same thing in the past.

Um...no.

I don't think anyone in ALXVP has said that any 'unwritten rules of RP have been broken', and don't particularly appreciate your putting words in the mouths of me or my members. I can't speak for all of backstage obviously, but I personally think theft is a perfectly valid thing to do in EVE, and a perfectly valid thing to roleplay. All's fair in love and spaceships. If people want to run to my defence, its their prerogative, but I'm not going to whine and cry foul from being robbed any more then I would if someone blew up my spaceship, and the implication that I am doing so is kind of a lot bullshit.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2013, 15:12 by Saede Riordan »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

If a popular person does something questionable, it's going to be overlooked by those they are popular with. If somebody with less influence does the very same, they might get noticed and criticized much more harshly, simply because they do not enjoy the protection that popularity provides.

Well yes, that's the point I made. It's all about popularity.

Entire thread boils down to that one point.

Corp security, spies, all that sort of thing, IC considerations are trumped by OOC factors.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

If a popular person does something questionable, it's going to be overlooked by those they are popular with. If somebody with less influence does the very same, they might get noticed and criticized much more harshly, simply because they do not enjoy the protection that popularity provides.

Well yes, that's the point I made. It's all about popularity.

Entire thread boils down to that one point.

Corp security, spies, all that sort of thing, IC considerations are trumped by OOC factors.

So, nothing unusual, unexpected, or unacceptable then - which is the point I was making.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

[mod]A couple things:
1) Don't flamebait and post passive-aggressive bullshit.
2) Don't respond to flamebait and passive aggressive bullshit, use the report button.
3) This forum is not an appropriate place to carry on a vendetta. Stop it or there will be consequences. It's as easy as not hitting the post button.
4) I just amputated the tail of the thread, Katrina and Aria's posts got cut off too (also, referenced modded content, so to keep the thread making sense).  [/mod]
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2013, 21:12 by Silver Night »