Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ships in EVE have crews?  Really.

Author Topic: Re: ANN Controvosy Thread Mk II (Now with 98% Less Flame)  (Read 723 times)

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger

Next time, before you post accusations of conspiracy against others:

1) actually bother to verify it.

2) deal with it privately with those you feel responsible.

Key word: PRIVATELY

On the more constructive topic at hand,

And the majority of them were minor and have been fixed.

What's minor or not is again an entirely subjective decision.  As the saying goes, "the devil is in the details" and even a few "minor" errors or omissions can color the interpretation of a given situation (see: most American journalism :9).  Syyl'ara sees these continued issues and it feeds her belief that ANN has an agenda, or at the very least that if the author can't get the name of the attacking alliance right, how can she trust them to have done an accurate investigation and put trust in other aspects of the story?  Seeing as how her history is that she is a CPD investigator, she places a great deal of value on conducting a penetrating review of facts and laying them out as the basis of a solid piece of work.  When those basics are sloppy, she questions the work in its entirety.  Fixing the parts she did know were wrong doesn't mean she will suddenly trust the parts she wasn't sure on to begin with.

With the publishing of I-rate I-RED, she's basically entirely written them off.  Partly because, as I already stated, this has blown up into such a fiasco that I'd prefer to entertain myself some other way (its publishing simply provides a good IC excuse, I have zero issue with it on an OOC level, play on :9).

Also, I don't think that 'chatgris is lying' counts. The author just pasted the original mail up. Whether or not he's lying is really up to the reader to decide.

Quoting an accusation without response or interpretation is a tried and true method of leading the readers to a forgone conclusion.  

Do Americans like the new health care reforms? A majority don't.  When you look closer, a huge chunk of that majority wants it made stronger.  The first statement alone leads readers to think they want it taken away, when the reality is they want it improved.  DISCLAIMER: I needed an example, this isn't an invitation to fight about it.

I do hope that with Levi's return, he can start to break some of the bad habits such as this.  It doesn't matter if the mistakes are innocent or not, they have the same impact on reputations in either case, and thus will provoke responses by the injured parties.  However, let me be clear that I'm not defending that particular retort as it wasn't even one a character of mine voiced.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2011, 15:01 by Syylara/Yaansu »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: ANN Controvosy Thread Mk II (Now with 98% Less Flame)
« Reply #1 on: 01 Feb 2011, 15:53 »

[mod]It is the job of the moderation team to ensure that what people post here is appropriate. The initial thread was already moderated, and there is nothing constructive in belaboring the point. Kindly avoid dictating what other members should do, or a warning may be issued.Feel free to repost in a way that isn't a violation of the guidelines.[/mod]