Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kyoko Sakoda interned with Omerta Syndicate? Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: The Hubris of 'Doing It Right'  (Read 19596 times)

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
Re: The Hubris of 'Doing It Right'
« Reply #120 on: 05 Aug 2014, 18:45 »

Since we are talking about this and you seem pretty cool about it I just wanted to point out something I found interesting about the whole debate around your character.  I'm not going to lie I laughed a bit on coms when I first encountered you on Backstage and Vince's post tearing you up was funny. But that said the reality is I actually see nothing overtly wrong with your depiction of a Blood Raider. Based on the DED sites I've run, the chronicles and TBL the Blood Raiders are some pretty horrible people. They do sick, violent things and are just shy of the EOM for nihilistic worldviews. Given that you seem to have at least initially gone for a straight up "I am a Blood Raider" not Sani Sabik bent and actually put some skin in the game with that tower in KFIE it seems like a reasonable if slightly excessive direction.

That said a character like that is going to face some pretty steep, probably insurmountable barriers to having casual RP with damn near anyone. But if your ok with that than fuck it. Do you. 
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #121 on: 06 Aug 2014, 19:42 »

Since we are talking about this and you seem pretty cool about it I just wanted to point out something I found interesting about the whole debate around your character.  I'm not going to lie I laughed a bit on coms when I first encountered you on Backstage and Vince's post tearing you up was funny. But that said the reality is I actually see nothing overtly wrong with your depiction of a Blood Raider. Based on the DED sites I've run, the chronicles and TBL the Blood Raiders are some pretty horrible people. They do sick, violent things and are just shy of the EOM for nihilistic worldviews. Given that you seem to have at least initially gone for a straight up "I am a Blood Raider" not Sani Sabik bent and actually put some skin in the game with that tower in KFIE it seems like a reasonable if slightly excessive direction.

That said a character like that is going to face some pretty steep, probably insurmountable barriers to having casual RP with damn near anyone. But if your ok with that than fuck it. Do you.

Thank you!

I also want to make it clear that although Anya is starting to despise all Sani Sabik that are not apart of the Covenant sect ICly, I really like all the Sani Sabik past and present, even Nauplius, for doing their own cool stuff.

[spoiler]
Nauplius is actually playing a pre-Sarikusa Covenant Sani Sabik, decently imho. There are some things I'd like to discuss with him about his character though. Especially since fellow Sani Sabik and ex-corpmate, Bai'xao, just put a PLEX as a reward for the person that kills him the most. But he has blocked me for unknown reasons.. Oh well ::barriers:: ;) [/spoiler]

Also, about the barriers for casual RP, I even put up my own barriers. Trying to only RP with people that are in a "physical" place by being in the same system, station, POS, w/e. I personally see using "Interbus Shuttle" as YDIW. But as it's a common thing for most casual RP, I don't care what other people do, I just don't (Except with Bai'xao and alts in the past, but no more). Me and Zena turned down quite a few RP with people because of that. Another barrier is that Anya and account alts are banned from Eve forums until October (when I can petition my perma-ban).

I think all of these "barriers" are a good thing. Even being banned from Summit, OOC, (again) and IGS channel would be good imo (already banned from a few IC establishments 8) ). ICly, who would want a Blood Raider spreading their seed? It would also keep Anya from doing too many stupid things.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #122 on: 07 Aug 2014, 05:52 »

Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that it would be wrong in terms of RP coherence to use "interbus" or whatever ? The fact that we cannot leave our captain's quarters except by using our capsuleer ships ? Or just a more general appreciation that it weakens RP by doing so ?

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #123 on: 07 Aug 2014, 07:10 »

Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that it would be wrong in terms of RP coherence to use "interbus" or whatever ? The fact that we cannot leave our captain's quarters except by using our capsuleer ships ? Or just a more general appreciation that it weakens RP by doing so ?

Both are good reasons. I could also argue that "Interbussing" is just as wrong as soft cloning, escape podding to a planet, or some other rule bending thing RP'ers do.

The reason Anya doesn't use Interbus is simply because I would like her to be able to play with the others in space too. I don't really care if someone is doing a level four mission, an incursion, or even elite peeveepee. Be honest. Anya and whomever she is with can be in the same place for a second to ERP or have a bite to eat and chat (same thing for Anya in most cases). But then when you are doing whatever you do in space, it would be way more fun to do it together than to have you doing something totally different in space than Anya is doing, yet both characters are being bored in said channel.

This is also another barrier as I mentioned before, seeing as Anya is -9.5 and can't really do a lot of things in empire space. But it makes more sense that all navies would see Anya as a Blood Raider and try to keep her out.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2014, 07:56 by Anyanka Funk »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #124 on: 07 Aug 2014, 08:28 »

Actually physically traveling to where you want to RP is superior, yes. While I occasionally get lazy and do the Interbus thing I usually try to actually fly to the location. Not only does this keep your RP grounded in actual gameplay (allowing for people to interact with your RP through in-game activities), but it keeps your timeline in order and forces you to acknowledge your in-game activities as IC (if you are pewpewing in space, then you cannot at the same time be at someone's party. Pick one or the other, you can't be in two places at once).

Using Interbus takes away from the absolute most basic in-game activity--simple travel. Even if you do nothing else in EVE but RP in chat channels, by avoiding the Interbus you demonstrate respect towards your fellow RPers by saying, "Yes, I do undock. I don't do much, but I do undock, and you can do something about it."

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #125 on: 07 Aug 2014, 09:28 »

See, this is where I disagree with the last two posters. While actually 'physically' flying out to an RP channel's location just so you can say you're actually be there can be superior, but I would never say it's YDIW. In many of the RPers' situations, they cannot simply just fly there and physically be there in game, for game mechanic reasons or for corporation obligations. Especially if they're out in null sec or in a wormhole. It's just not always feasible or logical.

But ah well. To each their own.  :lol:

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #126 on: 07 Aug 2014, 10:09 »

See, this is where I disagree with the last two posters. While actually 'physically' flying out to an RP channel's location just so you can say you're actually be there can be superior, but I would never say it's YDIW. In many of the RPers' situations, they cannot simply just fly there and physically be there in game, for game mechanic reasons or for corporation obligations. Especially if they're out in null sec or in a wormhole. It's just not always feasible or logical.

But ah well. To each their own.  :lol:

Thanks for that perspective. I think that all of these assumed limitations can be easily overcome with existing game mechanics and still be IC and also add more to your storyline in doing so.

So here is where we can get into some politeness issues. At Cor Arcanus, if someone were to use Interbus they would be blocked or muted. Although I tried to make it clear there were enough camera drones and comm screens to allow people to still participate but not physically.

In other venues, like The Noir, where interbus is the only way in. I still go to the system it's supposedly in. I just accept that it is the way the place is setup to be and go with it.

Anya lives in nullsec and getting anywhere besides Anoikis is usually pretty simple. I actually just learned that putting a corporate office in a system will allow you to change your medical clone to said system. Being in a huge corp makes this easier but if you have your own corp you can dictate all your medical clone spots that way and be anywhere at the price of a clone upgrade.

Corporation obligations I personally would hadle as, Anya can show up via camera drone or holo. Have done that before and it makes sense especially when afk cloaking.

While RPing in Anoikis, it was just easy to let people in or pod Anya out. If you live in Anoikis and don't have a scanner alt I think we can all agree you are doing something wrong there and deserve to lose all the assets you have in said locus.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2014, 10:16 by Anyanka Funk »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #127 on: 07 Aug 2014, 11:46 »

New Eden is a universe of infomorphs and quantum computers and instantaneous faster than light fully immersive VR, I don't think capsuleers would be particularly bothered by pedestrian issues of physical location when dealing with each other.  The plebes can take the interbus shuttle, so to speak, as they can't afford to do it remotely in real time in VR/whatever.

Physical location would likely only matter for the old fashioned capsuleers or if they have a particular interest in doing something 'in person,' for novelty's sake or for religious or other issues?

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #128 on: 07 Aug 2014, 17:10 »

I have the "be there for real" habit too -- and living in Deklein now, its made it "horrific" - which is a major reason why Ari's been quiet/missing-sh IC.

I know quite a few people have seen me fly to the systems they were in to RP.  Sometimes I bring gifts etc (silly assets like bottles of stars, I know I brought one Amarrian lady "modern fashion" and spirits etc from Amarr (I used some asset called raggy clothes or w/e it is and ICly explained I had to have the containers re-labelled for.. I don't remember exactly what i made up, but you get the idea).  Its not just about being in the same system so you can be SHOT at.  It's immersive in the positive aspect as well.  I've also recieved gifts from people (again novelty assets or NPC traderoute assets) for RP stuff (Coffee, spirits, cigarettes, etc).  It makes things more immersive in that way just as well as it does in being able to blow someone up.

Being in Goonswarm Federation, we have a parade of wardecs, as well as Marmites (duh obvious ;) ) which makes Empire a touch risky to fly out to for a cup of coffee.  Now yeah I could fly through Empire space and take the chances, but volunteer "work" I do out here (for me its fun, so I dont count it as work) requires I stay in the region of space I happen to be in in that moment.  It would mean people needed to fly out here.  And I will personally house-rule that making anyone physically fly into the heart of Deklein is a shitty thing to do.  (then again, my character due to nature and personality isn't exactly peppered with IC enemies that wanna go through hoops to shoot me or I wanna go through hoops to shot them either). 

So I hang out in the Noir, which well, no you dont NEED to use Interbus.  But no one would force that, cause that's just dumb, and the RP venue isn't a ship trap.

Anskek

« Reply #129 on: 07 Jan 2015, 16:27 »

Pulling a Makkal. Is this issue still a thing or have we finally removed this kebab, cause I been noticing a FEW new faces stickin around and being helped.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #130 on: 07 Jan 2015, 18:11 »

Is what issue still a thing? The thread is kind of all over the place.

Anskek

« Reply #131 on: 07 Jan 2015, 18:34 »

Is YDIW still prevelant be it bluntly or talking behind backs and saying don't RP with so and so wise.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #132 on: 07 Jan 2015, 18:47 »

Oh yes. It's there. Never seen "Don't RP with" in all my years in Eve, but YDIW is blessedly still present.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #133 on: 07 Jan 2015, 19:35 »

Don't RP with Anslo. That scrub couldn't RP his way out of a lit room. :P
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #134 on: 07 Jan 2015, 22:03 »

When it comes to interbussing around, I play it by ear. Generally speaking I'd rather have all my ducks in a row than not - if I have the time and want Aedre to be present physically, that's what I do. If I can't because FW is being crazy and it's unrealistic he'd leave, holo is the alternative. Most places have pretty decent equipment, I've noticed.

If I just don't have time to fly out and back purely for OOC reasons, since I only get on for a few hours a day not even most days, then I'm not about to pass up a chance to RP just because I can't afford the derping around time. It needs to make some sense in a narrative way, but I won't hold myself to things too strictly just because it doesn't make sense sometimes from an RL perspective; it's almost equally forced. Aedre hits up the Lounge quite a bit, and he almost always does so in person. It's important to him, for Reasons.

It's not a ton of jumps, but it's a hell of a lot to drop a fleet, fly out, RP until bedtime and then fly back? In the meantime, the dude has plenty of his own life's time to do just that, which he'd do diligently, because that's what he wants to do, and he has time while I'm working to 'do' that.

But when I have the time I do visit, because physically visiting is just a nice gesture. Can't argue with that. Things just aren't ideal on my end sometimes, and I'd rather get the RP in. "YDIW" seems a little harsh to dole out blanket-wise, but I can see how if interbussing is abused, that can really take away from things. But that's like everything I guess. Abuse of things is bad. Striking things as 'always wrong' puts artificial caps on stuff, too, I think.
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11