Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Vherokior tribe is a splinter tribe from the Starkmanir tribe? For more, read here.

Author Topic: Station Command and Control  (Read 1841 times)

palisairuta

• Clonejack
Station Command and Control
« on: 06 Nov 2018, 03:14 »

I am new at this but I have questions about Station C&C and was pointed here ... sorry if wrong place.
From what I can tell from the cannon, stations have two halves the pilot/ship docs which has a level of DED enforcement.
And of course, Baseline where the life of the city goes on in all its myriad of ways.
My question is about the pilot area, I haven't come across a canonical name for that, ie the opposite of Baseline.
In the Pilot area where there are hangars and docking bays, I presume there is a Station Commander? Flight Control Officer at least an officer on deck?
I presume I should think of this side of the station to be run like an aircraft carrier the size of a small planet?
There would be crew rota's and even a recruitment process in-station to find and vet good replacement crews.
Is there anything from Lore that covers these areas?
Regards
Palis
o/

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: Station Command and Control
« Reply #1 on: 06 Nov 2018, 05:29 »

Correct, there's two sections: The capsuleer section (that's basically what it's called) and the baseliner section. Both of these terms are slang -- they don't really have a "formal" name.

I presume I should think of this side of the station to be run like an aircraft carrier the size of a small planet?

No, this side of the station would be run like a closed community for celebrities. The best in finery and comfort: very rich, with the best service, and it keeps the riff raff out. But yes, it is policed by CONCORD, unlike the rest of the station. It is specifically for capsuleers, not pilots in general, and is held to CONCORD capsuleer laws rather than the local nation's laws.

In the Pilot area where there are hangars and docking bays, I presume there is a Station Commander? Flight Control Officer at least an officer on deck?

I wouldn't consider the hangars part of the capsuleer section, though certainly capsuleers get access to premium berths, and can disembark straight from there to the capsuleer section.

Each capsuleer would probably maintain their own deck chief in charge of managing their own ships and inventory.

We don't know exactly where station administration might be. It could be in the baseliner section, or it could be in the capsuleer section. There might be one in each, separated between the people running most of the station and those specifically catering to capsuleer interests (because, again, capsuleers get preferential treatment).

There would be crew rota's and even a recruitment process in-station to find and vet good replacement crews.

I agree there would be recruitment work done on station. This would probably be a global recruitment pool that operates across the entire cluster (considering how much of an industry it is). Capsuleers would probably finance/recruit from that rather than doing their own individual recruiting efforts.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #2 on: 06 Nov 2018, 06:03 »

though certainly capsuleers get access to premium berths, and can disembark straight from there to the capsuleer section.

Don't know how 'lore' it is, but when we had CQ, it distinctly showed the pod gantry at the quarters. It seems the capsuleer gets to dock the pod directly in their assigned quarters and access the station from there.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #3 on: 06 Nov 2018, 06:46 »

If you could do it that way, I would do it that way.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 06 Nov 2018, 14:51 »

I always thought this was a vastly untapped fiction source - the poor shmucks in charge of keeping the peace in the capsuleer areas and dealing with all sorts of awful conflicts of interest and decency in unfavorable areas.

IE:  Concord stipulates that the Emperor station in Amarr must still allow x Matari criminal capsuleer to dock and not be obliterated when getting out of their ship.  Is it a CONCORD employee managing this personnel? Is it some poor Imperial that has to suck it up and also keep their staff from killing a known terrorist? How does all this work? 

What an interesting character to follow, someone that has to manage all of this, different capsuleers that normally want to kill each other but are granted safe haven in this area of the station. Do they get to mingle? Are they kept in their own secure wings?  Do the Federation capsuleers that dock in Caldari space have to stick to their own Federation 'wing' of the capsuleer area? Things to consider!