Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gradient (GRD) is an independent elite capsuleer unit affiliated with the Minmatar Republic?  Read more here

Author Topic: The small pleasures...  (Read 1428 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
The small pleasures...
« on: 22 Nov 2011, 20:05 »

Life's a bit of a bitch and we all know it. Especially if you have tendencies towards cynicism, depression and so on. (A rather huge percentage of humanity does, apparently.) In part, we're too used to the 'BIG THINGS' and focusing on the highest peaks and lowest valleys in our day to day lives, losing sight of the smaller variations.

Today, I've had two small pleasures that I took the time to really savour:

I pulled my socks down and scratched my ancles. It's one of those pleasures we really need a separate word for. It's part relief, part release and delightfully pleasant as far as experiences go. The actual pulling down of socks and scratching took maybe thirty second to a minute, but the whole thing was very pleasant for at least five minutes. It provided a smile on my face and when I was done I leaned back, put my feet up and gave a contended sigh. Life was good, for those five minutes. That was enough.

I also had a cup of coffee. Now, usually that's not something I ever make a point of. I devour gallons of the stuff throughout a day. The first few hours of a day had damn well better include me practically inhaling at least two liters of the stuff or I'll be grumpy as hell. This time, though... it wasn't just the completely normal "Yeah, I'm drinking coffee while *****ing on the ****." where the act of drinking coffee is just a completely irrelevant part of the experience. I can't say why, exactly, but I took a few sips and really focused on the taste and feel of the coffee in my mouth. The warmth spreading in my chest as I swallowed. The pleasure I gained from that one cup of coffee was far beyond expectations.

These two little events made my world a better place to live, for those moments in time. The world wasn't perfect, but it was -enough-... for now. They provided a little smile on my face.

Now, what small pleasures have you had today? Or yesterday? Or the last week?

Vikarion

Re: The small pleasures...
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2011, 20:58 »

Uh...cynicism and irony are my small pleasures.

Besides that? Probably literature. From P.G. Wodehouse to Dostoyevsky, and everything in between. I listen to them on my iPod, read a bit before bed...it really keeps me going.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2011, 01:46 »

For me its pretty constant, little things that bring me to the present.

...that last cigarette of the day that you smoke under the streetlights outside the house, listening to the sounds of nature while watching the world resting still.
...the pleasant coldness of the floor as you cook your breakfast barefoot.
...all the moments within the day as I direct my body in a way that my kinaesthetic sense gives me positive feedback of releasing unwanted tension in my daily activities.

The last one being the main reason why I have now spent three+ years in Ireland and I am about to be a certified Alexander Technique teacher.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2011, 04:27 »

Thread has helped me start the day off on a good foot, because I don't usually remember them:

-Having time to savour my coffee in the mornings If I get up particularly early.
-Chopin on the radio
-Realizing I have the day off 2 hours after getting up

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:09 »

First Coffee of the morning definitely. But since I moved to a new much bigger (though crazily chaotic fixer upper) house I find myself just standing in the space and admiring the garden that no longer overlooks anyone and watching squirrels chasing each other around the oak trees.

I've also taken to reading paperbacks in the Sauna (which I'm told is bad).

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:50 »

I've also taken to reading paperbacks in the Sauna (which I'm told is bad).

AAAAAAAAA HEALTH AND SAFETY!!! /o\

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2011, 12:04 »

Long, hot showers after a long day of bullshit.

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2011, 12:16 »

Having a walk in the underground tunnels where the ventilation system dumps all the extra heat from the building.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2011, 12:25 »

Watching my kid sleep while I hold him. 

Though I'm going to have to give that up soon, he's getting heavy.

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2011, 15:16 »

Maybe this sounds silly, but ever had someone else scratch your whole back before? It's a really nice feeling, even if your back isn't itching at the time.

Hugs and kisses at random from my kids are also nice, too.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2011, 16:04 »

This bottle I'm enjoying right now.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!